Windy Bonaire - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Re: Windy Bonaire

I have seen a "break down" of what were reliable prevailing conditions in the NE/LIS area. Sure you get storms and anomalies... but the base conditions returned. I've observed that those base conditions no long apply. Lots of days with very light to no wind or strong breezes from the NE, NE and East. SW pattern is hardly a pattern any more.
outbound likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Currently here there’s a fresh breeze, light rain and temperatures in the sixties. Yesterday there were gusts into the high 30s locally. Again following the models predictions.
Damn. The plan was to spend three weeks here in Bonaire to get away from winter not 60 degree F temperatures! I could be working on winter boat projects if I had stayed home. Though I seem to recall from my youth people would often talk about the January thaw. Which apparently was expected at some point to occur. But, like the harbor freezing over in the winter some years it remains ice free some years it is frozen over. Sometimes the thaw happens sometimes not.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Got up to 68F today.
mbianka likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Dunno if its been washed away, but maybe explore cutural and foodie things there
Not normal turi$ta stuff
post #15 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There is a deep low around Bermuda, big highs above and below that, and no strong cold fronts to clear things out. Windy everywhere between New England and Panama. Supposed to be a couple of weeks for the next strong deep reaching cold front that might move things along - the last cold front stalled above North Carolina!

Regardless, this is the time of year for stronger than usual winds, and Bonaire is windy most of the time. Just be thankful they are not West winds!

Mark
Those east winds still have a way to hit back. While on a mooring pretty close on the lee shore of on the west side of Bonaire I'd observe an occasional larger wave crash into the shore. I was wondering where these waves were coming from. Then I realized the west winds were sending waves crashing in Klein Bonaire the smaller island one half mile west of Bonaire. Some of the wave energy was reflected back towards Bonaire.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #16 of 16 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Was in the 60s here this past weekend. Short lived though. I guarantee you'll all be better of at your latitude.
mbianka likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in