SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are still happily cruising summers on the North Channel and making improvements along the way.

Delaminating and wet core work continues on the deck

Wood stove installed.

A cracked oil pan required the engine to be hauled.

Painting and varnish continues

Electrical wiring improvements continue with some solar added.
Flower Plant Table Furniture Couch

Cloud Water Sky Boat Watercraft

Rectangle Asphalt Grey Road surface Tints and shades

Wood Train Gas Engineering Flooring

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Liquid

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how much has the $1 boat cost you?
I’m still in the black. Very little out of pocket if anything other than what it would cost to commission any boat. I am gaining sweat equity. I have sold some new uninstalled equipment and a cradle that I fortunately got with the boat. I hauled the engine myself and did the repairs myself.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
still wasn't free
Yes no such thing but at least I’m not upside down on a financed boat with problems. I went into it with eyes wide open. I feel for the guy that spends top dollar and gets nasty surprises with lipstick on a pig. Survey or no survey.

I considered this same boat a year previous when the po had her listed for real money. I passed and the guy got so fed up with the hassle of selling a boat that wouldn’t survey well he decided to take a different approach. He felt she deserved a second life for the right owner. He is thrilled with my progress reports back to him.
I wouldn’t have tackled the project if the rig and sails weren’t useable. We enjoy the boat immensely as is and the S&S design sails like a dream

For me, and with this particular boat, I can honestly say it’s been more than worth it. I’m way ahead. I think she will survey well now. In addition, in the current market, she now has significant monetary value.

·
New to cruising
117 Posts
Like you we purchased a good hull design knowing it needed an overhaul. I think the hull design is the most important part of a boat. Unlike you, we also knew we’d be paying others to do the work and had good ideas of what it would cost. We did underestimate how long it would take. Part of the delay was due to Covid impacting supply chains. Some due to an accident. Some due to a Nor’easter that the yard didn’t adequately prepare for probably due to employment issues again due to Covid disruptions.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like you we purchased a good hull design knowing it needed an overhaul. I think the hull design is the most important part of a boat. Unlike you, we also knew we’d be paying others to do the work and had good ideas of what it would cost. We did underestimate how long it would take. Part of the delay was due to Covid impacting supply chains. Some due to an accident. Some due to a Nor’easter that the yard didn’t adequately prepare for probably due to employment issues again due to Covid disruptions.
Very true. It always takes much longer than you would think but we’re sailors and not in a rush lol.
5 years in and the to do list is still there. I’m thankful it hasn’t stopped us from sailing. We lost a season with Covid as well so you gotta enjoy the journey it may be all we’re blessed with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts