SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW one of the 2 ten year old Interstate gell cell batteries on my boat has finally failed, I'm tempted to keep the other in service somewhere like the camper or runabout just to see how long it will go. I've been "waiting with 'bated breath" for a couple years for these batteries to croak and I'm real impressed with their duty cycle.

·
Chesapeake Sailor
579 Posts
tb,

I am impressed too - congratulations! Will you tell us the Ah size of your battery bank and how you have used the batts? i.e. refrigeration on-board, or not, topped off regularly via charger, or solar cells, etc.

I have AGMs, now on their 5th season - showing no signs of deterioration... yet!

Wayne

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wayne,
They were 65 AH batteries and are no longer made but were a group 24 size battery.
When at the dock they are on a charger, no refer, but they have driven a wheel pilot (almost full time) lights, and radio for up to 36 hrs. under sail, and lasted for a couple days on the hook with no recharging.
If I'd been better about using them more equal they might still be okay for a little longer, the boat is in the water and used year round so they never saw temps below 40 degrees or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts