SailNet Community banner
21 - 40 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
According to the Dutch Telegraaf (biggest newspaper) Laura was taken in custody in a Childhouse earlier this year by the British Authorities. She sailed to England by her own and the Authorities helt her because they found it to dangerous for her to sail home alone at sea.
The reason she was sent to a Childhome was because her father refused to pick her up in England. Later he came and sent her home by her own boat.
The British contacted the Dutch Police and the Youthcare organization.

Her Mother isn't happy with the plans. But she will let her go, because she don't like to lose the contact with Laura. Her parents are divorced.

This Tread wasn't ment to discuss the legal side, but to inform you that there are big dreams even by youngsters. Time will tell the future about this story.

Whole story n Dutch.
Laura zat even in kindertehuis
De 13-jarige Laura Dekker, die in haar eentje rond de wereld wil zeilen, is dit voorjaar in Engeland door de politie tegengehouden.
Ze was naar Engeland gezeild, maar de autoriteiten vonden het te gevaarlijk om haar alleen op zee terug te laten varen. Omdat haar vader aanvankelijk niet naar Engeland wilde komen om haar op te halen, werd ze tijdelijk in een kindertehuis geplaatst. Dat zei haar advocaat Peter de Lange donderdag naar aanleiding van berichtgeving in de Volkskrant.

Daarop besloot vader Dick toch maar naar Engeland af te reizen. Maar eenmaal op de kade aangekomen negeerde hij de Britten en lioet Laura toch in haar eentje terug naar Nederland terugvaren. „Dat is ook helemaal niet strafbaar, niet van hem en niet van haar”, aldus De Lange, die niet uitsluit dat Laura werd tegengehouden na een tip uit Nederland.

De Britten schakelden vervolgens de Nederlandse politie en Bureau Jeugdzorg in.

De Lange benadrukt dat Laura eerder door de autoriteiten is tegengehouden, toen zij alleen op bijvoorbeeld het IJsselmeer of langs de Nederlandse kust zeilde. „Maar dat leverde nooit een probleem op, want het is niet illegaal.”

De kinderrechter in Utrecht beslist vrijdag of de ouders van Laura worden beperkt in het gezag over hun dochter. Ze wil alleen de wereld rondzeilen. Haar ouders steunen de plannen voor de twee jaar durende reis.

Laura's ouders zijn gescheiden en de moeder van de havo-scholiere zou niet staan te springen bij de plannen van haar dochter. Ze zou het echter toelaten omdat ze het contact met Laura niet wil verliezen.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Her Mother isn't happy with the plans. But she will let her go, because she don't like to lose the contact with Laura. Her parents are divorced.
Thanks for that additional insight, Pierre. Also, for your earlier post that seems to indicate that the court case has not yet been resolved.

This is a different scenario from what I originally supposed. It's not a case of the parents being united on what is best for their child and the government interfering. Apparently the parents are somewhat at odds with one another.

It sounds like the father has custody. The trip seems to be happening against the wishes of her mother, and at the encouragement if not prodding of her father. Not good.

Maybe the courts should shift custody to the mother.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Cool that Mike made it. I've followed that story off and on but hadn't heard lately.

And I agree with you GW that if the girl's dad follows - it's cool. Very cool. Otherwise, it's freakin' creepy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Most (if not all) states in the US require a child to attend some form of school until a certain age. Where I grew up you had to attend school until the age of 16. After that you could drop out if you wanted to. The State freaking out about her missing 2 years of compulsory school is not a uniquely Dutch concern. You can't do it here, either.

Also, I agree that kids can dream big, but they don't temper those dreams with reality. My little boy would probably think it'd be the coolest thing in the world to circumnavigate, but he probably won't consider any of the potential problems that come along with that sort of trip (like being away from mom and dad for 2 years!) That's my job. That is part of a parent's responsibility.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Been there done that with the school when my daughter was in the ballet company between 14 and 17 years old

Everbody pitched a fit ,I sad F_OFF and did some internet school with her NOW she has a degree from SUNY Buffalo and is starting her MSW at SUNY Stonybrook next week

In fact the ballet deal has opened a LOT of doors for her because it has proven how hard she is willing to work to reach a goal

Normal high school is HIGHLY overrated and does not send a child into the world prepared for much of anything BUT more school

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
We are all fools no matter what age

If she has the blessings of the parents and she willingly and truly wants to do it... History - Christopher Columbus as an example..Nothing should get in her way if she has the knowledge, ambition,courage and resources. Promblem with our society we set age limits instead of competency ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been there done that with the school when my daughter was in the ballet company between 14 and 17 years old

Everbody pitched a fit ,I sad F_OFF and did some internet school with her NOW she has a degree from SUNY Buffalo and is starting her MSW at SUNY Stonybrook next week

In fact the ballet deal has opened a LOT of doors for her because it has proven how hard she is willing to work to reach a goal

Normal high school is HIGHLY overrated and does not send a child into the world prepared for much of anything BUT more school
Kudos to your daughter, but- and with all due respect- traveling with a ballet company, in a group, supervised, is an entirely different experience from circumnavigating the globe alone.

At any age.

No 13 year old- any nation, any creed- is mature enough to handle the psychological stresses of a circumnavigation. The physical challenges, maybe, but the stressors of single handed life for 2 years? No.

Hey, I'm all about government staying out of our lives, but it's parental decision making like this that allows them to get involved in the first place.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,843 Posts
How soon they forget.

Jessica Dubroff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sending minors solo onto the sea in order to "set records" is the stuff of stunts, not sailing. By definition, a child cannot give informed consent, so she can "agree" to go all she wants...it's meaningless.
IIRC, Jessica was killed by her flight instructor allowing heavy camera equipment into the back of the plane, both making the plane overweight and putting the center of gravity too far aft. That last part is difficult to do when a 200 pound adult is sitting next to the instructor, and easy when it's a lightweight child sitting there instead.

The comparison here isn't that easy, more like Laura Dekkker having an adult on board that decided to open all the seacocks and hatches in a storm, and take out the reefs and furl out more genny to boot, all while pouring seawater into the diesel tank and unscrewing the keel bolts. Jessica would have been better off by herself than with that hack of an instructor that ended up killing them both.

Not saying anything about Laura with the above, just setting the record straight on Jessica. When the weather is nice, a thoroughly trained 9 year old can fly planes all day safely.

As for Laura, it's the land-based dangers that might be worse than the dangers at sea. If dad met her in every port and helped her with basic protection against bad guys, provisioning, weather windows and other planning, that would be a big improvement. Following her would be even better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For the moment Laura is not alowed to go!
The authority of the parents is limited by court. At this way they try to prevent Laura leaving The Netherlands. She can live with her father at home. The Judge emphasized that the father isn't a bad father.
Supervision by Youthcare is for 2 months. Meanwhile they will research if Laura can handle the psychic pressure of the planned trip and if she is able to home-school herself for 3rd and 4th grade.
So, if nothing special happens in between we have to waite 2 more months.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Pierre - do you think she should go? I'm kind of interested in your perspective since this is happening in your backyard. We Yanks always are quick with an opinion - but it's from our cultural viewpoint, not yours.

If nothing else, how can a kid home-school herself? That sounds weird.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
My daughter home-school here self with and internet based school program we payed for that included grading and while she had a host family It was here and the 3 roommates that rasied each other

Oak Meadow: Homeschooling Curriculum, Resources, and Support

It must of worked because when she moved to a different company in Carlisle PA she had no problem being placed into the 12th grade and getting a REAL diploma in one year :)

And getting into collage RIGHT after that

I get a bit extra pisssed about the whole thing because i went the trade school route in 1973 and got SH?? about back then and the know it alls have pretty much destroyed the trade programs NOW in this area ,By making it more and more diffcult to learn a trade and get a diploma which was the norm in the past

Your also deluding yourself about"happy home life" and what a kid can do i had two handicapped brothers and two parents with drinking problems and was the adult pretty dam early in life

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Wow Tom, congrats to your daughter. That's cool. She was in ballet right?

My wife is homeschooling our kids and they are loving it. It just seemed weird to me to think about a kid doing it him/herself based on my own dislike for school when I was a kid. Had it been up to me, I would have seriously blown it all off!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hi smackdaddy,

Thanks for asking. Raised in the Netherlands, traveled around the world in North-, Central- and South America, Europe, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, China, Australia and big parts of Africa and living in the Dutch Antilles for almost 15 years were we got our kids 6 and 8 years old I’m still Dutch but at a distant. I followed Zac from the beginning and like to see many more youngsters doing things we perhaps also liked when we were young. When I heart of Laura I also followed this story. Because it got so much media attention already in the Netherlands Authorities had to do something. We have laws for school going kids, and as I read the posts here, there are laws and rules in the USA as well. Perhaps even more. But different countries with different rules with same intentions. Even New Zeeland probably won’t let her go.
Holland is a very small country and we are not used to home-schooling. I heart of home-schooling on Dutch cruisers around the world, but than with parents on board. My opinion on this is that a girl with so many tasks to do, she has no time for doing home-schooling. Internet at sea? And then the physical part. Is she strong enough? And can she do the many technical parts. She has been held in England. How will other countries (Authorities) react and will she not been abused by rough harbour people, Fishermen at sea etc. with the wrong intentions.

Nature can be harsh and people violent especially for a lonely 13 year old girl without supervision. The world isn’t (always) nice.

If it was my girl I say NO. Not for the honour to be the first and youngest. If she likes the sailing and adventure, then why not with her father?

I like to see her go. But she has to follow the rules and mostly I like to see her safe!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Sounds very reasonable to me Pierre. I'm with you.

I think it was CD who asked if there was a double standard here in comparing the hesitancy to let her do this with the general support of Zac's trip. And I'll be honest...I do think letting this young girl go is far worse because of all the reasons you mention above. It's not the worst of nature that scares me, it's the worst of men.

Maybe that is a double standard - maybe Zac could have suffered the same potential atrocities - but I honestly don't think so. And especially after so much global attention - I think it's insane to send this girl off now. It's like chumming the water then sending your kind in to swim.

The downsides of press and sponsorship I guess.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Gesh... If she went, the parents would have to set up a world wide net of care givers to assume custody until she clears customs and is headed out to the next port.
If the Boy started at fifteen then she could wait a couple of years and then see if the desire to sail the world is still there. And if that desire is still there then she could try then. But the key issue would be the Care givers in various ports that would see to her and the boat's need.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Most (if not all) states in the US require a child to attend some form of school until a certain age. Where I grew up you had to attend school until the age of 16. After that you could drop out if you wanted to. The State freaking out about her missing 2 years of compulsory school is not a uniquely Dutch concern. You can't do it here, either...
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

I'm not aware of a single State in the U.S. that doesn't allow home-schooling. And it is not something that requires the permission of the state or local government, either. If any communication with the government is required at all, it is merely to inform them that your child won't be attending their local school system. It's certainly not to ask permission.

As far as the curriculum, home schooled kids can have as structured or unstructured a program as their parents want. Hell, some parents embrace a philosophy called "unschooling" where the kids follow no curriculum whatsoever. Instead they learn by doing/experience. No academics whatsoever.

Bottom line: Attending the government's school system is not compulsory in the United States, as it appears to be in Holland.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
John

Having done it in Ny your required to have the SCHOOL approve and monitor your home school program which is WHY i had to use she does not live in Ny anymore F-OFF plan

It was intresting and made the papers at the time as great neck schools had done a program to allow Sarah Hughes to school while doing the Olympics and they got the seat time ISSUE waved

Commack schools were i live would not do anything as despite having compleatly wired class rooms that allowed you be in class from anyplace the teachers contract did not require them to use it OR do e-mail :) and they stayed hung up on the required seat time

21 - 40 of 231 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.