SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Wow - that is amazing.....will be interested to hear some more details of how he survived that long. 16 months is an incredible amount of time to be on a boat in optimum conditions.

His must truly be a "blue-water" boat, right?

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I just read the story on Yahoo.... Yahoo!

That's an interesting story. I've read before that drifting around the ocean is one possibility in how the Pacific islands were populated many years ago. I lived in the Marshall Islands for two years in high school. It's an interesting and beautiful place but not too much around that doesn't come in by boat (mostly) or plane.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Apparently the only thing they found onboard besides the guy was a turtle. Open boat I assume, no way to make any way except the wind and currents.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sixteen months? Meh, I'm not buying it. His kidneys would have ceased to function a year ago on his supposed diet. Hypernatremia is a serious illness, and not one you can live with for months on end.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
This is the very reason I signed up for Pizza Bomb US. It's a global pizza delivery service that uses AC130s to drop a fresh, hot pizza anywhere on the planet. Sure, each pizza is $12,000 (plus $8,000 for a 2-liter soda) - but the crust is to die for.

With my satellite phone and Pizza Bomb US - I'll be fine for 16 months while lost at sea.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I nominate him for Bluewater Sailor of the Year, Has no skills, but, he knows how to survive.

Maybe this guy should give Redford some pointers?

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think he said it never rained. Just when it didn't he drank turtle blood. I'm sure he must have caught fresh water on occasion.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
One of the things I learned while reading Adrift was that those inflatable life rafts have a very short lifespan of just 42 days after inflation. At that point the seams tend to fall apart. This particular raft managed to hold together, just barely for nearly twice that long.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is the very reason I signed up for Pizza Bomb US. It's a global pizza delivery service that uses AC130s to drop a fresh, hot pizza anywhere on the planet. Sure, each pizza is $12,000 (plus $8,000 for a 2-liter soda) - but the crust is to die for.

With my satellite phone and Pizza Bomb US - I'll be fine for 16 months while lost at sea.
Shoot... wish I knew about this service before I started my new paleo diet.:hothead

Anyway... I'm tagging this thread for further updates on this guy.

ETA: my wife want's to know if they have Gluten free pizza drops?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts