SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to add jiffy reefing to my 17-foot O'Day Daysailer. I've researched how this is rigged on bigger boats, with cheek blocks and cleats on the boom.

But my gut says all that may make sense for a bigger boat to haul down an overpowered sail, but for a lake-sailed daysailer where we only go out for one or two hours at a time, all I'd need are a couple fore and aft eyestraps on the boom to serve as an anchoring point for lines I'd use to simply lash the sail's reef points to the boom. I'd expect in all cases we'd set the reef before raising the sail.

I'm not trying to avoid buying $50 worth of blocks and cleats, but it just seems like overkill on a lake-sailed 17 foot daysailer.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering how other dinghies are rigged for jiffy reefing and owners' satisfaction with same.

Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the eyestraps on the boom. Just lash down around the boom. You will need a way to pull the reef tack out on the boom as well as down to provide tension across the foot. See step C of this image.

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
I'd recommend you NOT lash the intermediate lines around the boom. Only the two end points. If the sail fills it will tear out the grommets at the smaller, less reenforced lash points. Just use them to control the bagginess of the sail.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,279 Posts
If you are going to mess with reefing, configure the gear so you can reef underway, even where you sail the wind pressue must periodically increase.
Install a reef hook on the gooseneck and a turning bloack at the end of the boom for the reefing line. Fit a small grommet to the foot below the reefing clew so you can secure the reefing line around the boom, plus a cleat forward on the boom, and you are read to go. The reef ties are cosmetic nice-to-haves.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I'd second what delirious said about the reefing sail ties. Don't use them...just use the tack and clew reefing cringles instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts