SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

18 months until we walk the plank

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Nostrodamus 
#1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David and I currently live in the UK (Damp foggy little island near France) we will turn 50 next year and are retiring. We will have a modest income which will enable us not to have to work. Our plans are to buy a yacht around 40ft and spend the next few years as liveaboards. The questions are, what sort of yacht, health care, where to buy the yacht, advantages and disadvantages? Any advice would be more than welcome unless it's negative and advising us to stay on this damp ,foggy little island.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advice regarding the book. Yes, a sailing yacht and we both have experience. Longest passage from the South of France to UK.
Really looking at other parts of the world to sail in now our children are older.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice so far, it is really appreciated. Looking around at the moment we are thinking of purchasing a Jeanneau 43 DS. It looks like it would have a comfortable amount of interior space and has good reviews in respect of sailing ability.

It would seem that we will get a lot more yacht for our money by buying in the US or Carribean. We currently have no plans to sail this back to the UK, so import tax etc etc is not a concern? In respect of solar panels we will have to research cost of supply and fitting. We too had decided that anchoring is more preferable to marinas for us personally but would be interested to know costs roughly for Marina's especially during hurricane season?

In terms of actually sailing around the Carribean are there area's that would be best avoided or is this not so much an issue?

Lastly are there any issues with visa's especially if we decided this was something we would like to do long term?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
That's great thanks Killarney. What would you favour over the Jeanneau for travelling further afield? At the moment we are still deciding what are the best options for us. We were looking at the Carribean as I retire in the November and thought that at this time of year it would be better to explore around here than the Med. Also from all the internet searching we have done thus far second hand prices in the states seem a lot more affordable than UK or Europe. Another consideration was that we would not have any issues in respect of language barriers. It may well be that like you we get hooked and decide to just keep sailing on and on who knows. I guess our nice dilemma is where do we start and how do we start. I am inclined to stick with the Carribean idea as a starting point and go from there.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info outbound. The planning and research goes on. In respect of the house we will be keeping this in the UK and renting out rooms to supplement our income. We only intend to stay in the Carribean through what would be the UK's winter months at this time so something like October to May and then would look to come back to Europe. At this time we wouldn't have the experience or knowledge to sail back to Europe across the 'pond', our intention would be to build up to this if we take to the lifestyle. These forums are very helpful in respect of peoples hints tips and experiences. From what I can see we will need to have a few maintenance courses under our belt along with an open mind and not keep the rose coloured spectacles on!

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jaramaz good point about the registration. I guess if we buy her in the States we can register her there? Yet another question we will have to find an answer for. Sweden and the Fjords are a definite option but on a cruise ship with heating I reckon!! Visited Stavanger and Tromso loved it even fitted in some skiing another great passion!!

Discussion starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks Outbound we have looked at the options of a Cat, Chrissie my better half used to own one and sailed it back to England from Spain. She crossed the Bay of Biscay no problem and dodged merchantmen in the English channel. Cost is a little prohibitive for me and to be honest I just can't seem to love them no matter how hard I try! Fewer bunk space is not such a bad option! After 20 odd years of bringing up the kids a little us time is now in order and individual visits from them would be lovely but the whole gang descending in one hit!?!! Nahh aint happening

Discussion starter · #18 ·
That's great thanks for the positive tilt on this. Looking at a lot of the posts on live aboard matters there does appear to be quite a lot of negativity about the idea. We were just starting to wonder why people were actually doing it at all! Love the web site, great idea and what a great way to preserve those memories! Do you tend to spend most of your time in the Med?

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Thanks Mark and Angelina, we have exactly the same outlook on this one. We've both been at sea in rough weather and really are not fussed if we have to stay somewhere a few days longer while the weather passes us by sipping the latest G&T. I personally have no problem with being known as a fair weather sailor in the future!! We've opted for the Carribean as I finish in November and this seemed the better option weather wise at that time of year.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Thanks Killarney hadn't even considered that option but it makes lots of sense! We would still have a great time but also get used to the boat. Chrissie found that bringing the CAT back from Southern France was a bit difficult at times when work was needed mainly due to language barriers and a 'manjana' attitude, which we are thinking would not be the case in the States. Def will be exploring that option. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.