SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this contest. Finishing the project from previous owner ( he passed away too soon to live his dream) . I sold my 1972 40 morgan sheels, great blue water . I wanted something smaller " small budget " the contest has a very similar keel to the to the sheels keel on the morgan " I think it's a sheel keel " that being said I have a question about the U bolts for the riging as the deck was in the process of being repainted holes filled, I don't see any indication of bulkhead or hull attachment , the deck is fiberglassed to the hull and extra thick where the U bolt would go , I can't find any specs. Is anybody familiar with that type rigging set up

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 1972 Contest 31. It's very similar to your boat, and I expect has the same chainplate arrangement. In my boat the stainless chainplates (the U bolts you refer to) are through bolted to the deck and glassed in from beneath. This "extra thick" area I'm pretty sure is where it is glassed over.

This is considered sub-optimal construction for several reasons - the main one in my mind being that stainless steel when starved of oxygen can start to corrode. It would have been better to leave the bolting exposed in my opinion. I've read several surveys of Contests and the surveyors mention that the chainplates should be bolted to a bulkhead, which is what they're used to seeing. Here's the rub: say what you will, this doesn't seem to be a failure point with these boats, which were all very well made to a high standard by one of Europe's best yards. The famous bit in Hal Roth's book where Banjo, a C31, was broken up in a storm illustrates this: she was climbing waves and dropping through the air to crash into the bottom of troughs until the hull broke open, but there was no mention of rig failure.

I say all this because I will be replacing the chainplates on mine - she's 50 years old next year and it's just time - and I'll be doing a similar through deck arrangement but I will add some G10 backer plates in the way of the bolts, and leave them all exposed. I'm going with bronze from Spartan. I had thought of going with an external chainplate to the hull but decided to stick with what has worked.

You won't find any specs. There was a fire at the Conyplex yard several years ago destroying much of the technical data for all these early boats. There's nothing left on the C31 except a brochure. My boat came with lots of drawings and specs and I'm going to send copies to Conyplex in case they want to keep historical data on file.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that info . The deck has been fiberglass to the hull also looks like it was done recently. Can't wait to get her sailing, hopefully splash her this fall the winds are stronger in Rhode Island then, get her in some 35+ and some seas . Looks to be very capable.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I noticed a Pearson 40 sitting pretty on the dock last year and scanned my eyes over the hull and rigging as I am wont to do. All repainted, refitted . . . then there was this U-bolt on one of the shrouds . . . I was horrified to notice I could see air through the bottom of one leg of the U-bolt. I pointed it out to the nearby yard. Yeah. No U-bolts. Re-think chainplate attachments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed a Pearson 40 sitting pretty on the dock last year and scanned my eyes over the hull and rigging as I am wont to do. All repainted, refitted . . . then there was this U-bolt on one of the shrouds . . . I was horrified to notice I could see air through the bottom of one leg of the U-bolt. I pointed it out to the nearby yard. Yeah. No U-bolts. Re-think chainplate attachments.,,,,,, on any of the sites in Europe there's never been an issue. U bolts was a concern of mine as I' never seen that before she is well constructed . I wouldn't put U bolts in my Morgan it's not designed for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Contest is a tough boat. A 31 almost was my first boat 30 years ago.
I am having the boat completely redone. I am hoping to Splash her in the fall and do some winter Sailing .. it's when the wind is at its best little chilly though.... the Morgan sheel 40 did incredible last winter lot of weather helm though..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts