SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 30 ft oday with 12 hp Yanmar. Motor runs good I'm told, but, I'm not sure of the starting sequence. Any special things I need to know?

Thanks.

·
Captain Obvious
2,329 Posts
Start by posting a picture! No, seriously congrats. I've started a lot of diesels, but I would hesitate to write to you a starting sequence. Not even sure of your situation - boat in the water? Make sure the seacock is open so water flows into the engine and make sure it starts spitting water within a minute of startup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a 1979 model, O'Day 30, hull number 100 with a 2QM15 Yanmar diesel. If the engine wasn't warm it always required a small spray of starting fluid in the air intake for it to start. Other than that it was a good engine. Sequence: After assuring you have an adequate supply of clean fuel; 1. Check lube oil level and belt tension; 2 Assure cooling water supply valve is open; 3. Starting fluid; 4. Turn the key and engage the starter; 5. When running immediately assure that cooling water is being expelled by the exhaust; 6. Allow time to warm-up before getting underway and check again and frequently for cooling water; 7. Be aware of the engine gauges and what they are telling you; 8. Have engine running only at idle speed when putting into and out of gear - forward or reverse.

Reactions: smitrock63

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 1979 model, O'Day 30, hull number 100 with a 2QM15 Yanmar diesel. If the engine wasn't warm it always required a small spray of starting fluid in the air intake for it to start. Other than that it was a good engine. Sequence: After assuring you have an adequate supply of clean fuel; 1. Check lube oil level and belt tension; 2 Assure cooling water supply valve is open; 3. Starting fluid; 4. Turn the key and engage the starter; 5. When running immediately assure that cooling water is being expelled by the exhaust; 6. Allow time to warm-up before getting underway and check again and frequently for cooling water; 7. Be aware of the engine gauges and what they are telling you; 8. Have engine running only at idle speed when putting into and out of gear - forward or reverse.

Thank you. Very good information. I will take your advise this weekend as I plan to go out for the first time.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Stop! needing starting fluid to get your diesel engine running indicates some for of problem that needs to be addressed!

While I haven't had a 2gm or 2QM. I installed and ran a 3GM30F for years and starting a healthy GM engine should require nothing more than advancing the throttle (out of gear) to 3/4 and then hit the starter button. as soon as it fires, pull back and let it warm up a bit. As the boat is new to you I would start with some preventative maintenance. Change the oil, fresh belts, get someone to help swap to a fresh impeller. Change the filters and make sure the diesel is clean. Then start the engine at the slip. let it warm up and then put it in forward gear (at the slip) get a feel for the sounds the engine makes both in gear, out of gear and going into gear. Rev it all the way up under load and see if she makes any smoke, etc. make sure the water is flowing. Better to learn that the engine smokes a bit under load while at the dock, than to see the smoke on the way out of the channel and start worrying about it then!

Boats are aa ton of fun, Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We have had a 2QM15 for almost 25 yrs. , we have never had to use starting fluid . The only time the engine has quit running / not starting was because of a fuel issue .

·
Registered
30 Posts
I only had mine for 18 years but always used starting fluid except when the engine was warm. It had no glow plugs. Probably a compression issue, but engine mechanics said the cure, if possible, would be costly and starting fluid was cheap and reliable.
lho

Reactions: smitrock63
1 - 9 of 9 Posts