SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this boat, hull #595, and am wondering whether it is a MK I, II or other. Haven't found any definitive information yet, thought I would turn to a large and knowledgeable community like this one for an answer. Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide.

·
19,489 Posts
If it's a '78 it's definitely a MK 1. Pretty good boat, probably roomier than a MKII. A4 or diesel?... btw pics or it hasn't happened! (once you have enough posts, that is!)

·
Senior Citizen
431 Posts
Just bought this boat, hull #595, and am wondering whether it is a MK I, II or other. Haven't found any definitive information yet, thought I would turn to a large and knowledgeable community like this one for an answer. Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide.
The Mk 1 is an interesting boat.
Hank Evans worked for C&C and contributed often to sailnet 20 plus years ago. He has a good write-up on the Mk 1 on the photoalbum web page.

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks like your the proud owner of a Mk I, and yes go read Hank Evans review, as he was an owner. I really don't class the boat as tender, but more on the side of over canvassed. It sails very much like a dingy and you should paint red lines on the inclinometer at 20 degrees heal as we did. Over 20 degrees it is slow, as you are dragging a barn door out back. Kept on her feet by reducing sail she will romp along in the freshest breeze.
Maintenance wise check the mast step as it is an oak pillow block and tends to rot with water coming down the mast. We have replaced ours three times, once taking all of 40 minutes before the start of the Freeman Cup. Started late but we made up time. Second check the stringers under the mast step as they were not glassed on the bottom. If soaked on and off they rotted requiring you to dig up the cabin sole and fit new aluminium stringers and a really nice teak and holley cabin sole. We have a garboard plug to put off this modification and keep the bilge really dry at all cost. (Would like a teak cabin sole however). We have fitted a aluminium pipe in our mast step which eliminates the rot there, water drains down the mast and into the bilge with no rot.
If raced you can do well as she usually carries a 170+ phrf rating. This boat was orginally designed as a IOR half ton racer and C&C did very well with it. Youngstown YC asked for a club racer that could also be used as a family cruiser (to 1000 islands from Niagara), and C&C modified the half tonner to add a cabin. We raced them here in Niagara as a one design class and as many as 14 would show up in our own start. Ours now does cruising and I must admit it is nice to get there and get the choice of docks along with a refreshing drink before the crowd shows up....not likely to replace this tidy 30ft beauty.
(oh and its called a 29 because C&C was already building a 30, and its 29.75 ft because over 30 you have to pay 'merican Customs a $30 fee if it is 30ft or over, now you know).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts