SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Glad to be part of the forum.

I have the titled boat and the centerboard keel is stuck in the up position. I have the diagram, but it doesn't show access and I can't seem to find it once the guide pole enters the floor, inside the sink cabinet. There is a rubber coupling, and that's shown on the diagram, but the couplings are on the bends in the diagram...the coupling I can see is just before the tube enters the floor, and the coupling connects to another metal tube (that's what actually enters the floor). I can't see anything from there, even through the bilge access.

Can anyone tell me how to get the keel free. I am currently in the water, but unsure about sailing it with the keel stuck up. It will be going on the hard in early to mid November.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I don't know the particulars of your vessel. I have a Sabre 34 with a Centerboard. There's a Nut in my bilge that comes off and a Pipe in my hanging locker that is used to push it down. Taking the nut off allows water to ingress, but the bilge pump manages it.

That said, when mine was stuck, it was due to barnacles etc. that grew in the Centerboard Trunk. The only real solution was to get it short hauled, leaving it in the sling, and scrape out the centerboard trunk with a long piece of flat bar until the board would drop, and then lots more cleaning and power washing until the trunk was clean.

I believe yours is just a centerboard, (googled it) I'd wait until you hauled out. You can still sail with the board in the up position.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Keel is there...4’3”. Centerboard is stuck in the trunk that’s all. Will probably be as Tempest said...barnacles.
It will sail fine

Out boat C&C 35 keel centerboard is similar, we don’t use the centerboard usually in winds less than 12 as it’s extra drag. It allows us to reef later if it pipes up when we drop it. Also helps a lot in close hauled sailing

You fine to sail without it.

·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
If we pull our board up too far it will get stuck. I just dive down with a really big screw driver and pry it loose. Takes about 10 seconds. Before you do though, I'd make sure you have the tackle to raise it again functioning correctly.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My board got stuck in the up position after a very muddy grounding. During a haulout the travel lift operator let the five ton boat free fall about a foot and then stopped the fall. Down dropped the board. I tipped him well.

·
Master Mariner
8,685 Posts
My board got stuck in the up position after a very muddy grounding. During a haulout the travel lift operator let the five ton boat free fall about a foot and then stopped the fall. Down dropped the board. I tipped him well.
As someone who owns a 77,000 pound boat, that sounds sooooo scary.

Reactions: ottos

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
As someone who owns a 77,000 pound boat, that sounds sooooo scary.
Yea, I wouldn't do that, my yard uses a regular old school wood hand saw, the teeth are pretty well worn off as you would suspect but you just saw the crud and barnacles and it will break free, loosening the cable just a couple of inches and sail in some chop is better than dropping with a travel-lift IMO. cleaning real good and put a lot of bottom paint along with exercising regularly while sailing or just in the slip will help a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts