SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 1980 Cal 31. Found that all the deck teak (handrails, hatch slides) were leaking and loose. Took off the headliner and the wood backing had some damage/rot/mildew. Disassembled the teak and the bedding was shot. The previous owner said the boat had no leaks but apparently hadn't been on the boat in quite sometime. Prior to purchase I walked the deck carefully and there was no sign of soft spots, so leakage might in fact be a "recent" problem.

I have rebedded all teak with butyl tape (great stuff!) but am concerned about long term affect on deck integrity. Have to believe water has entered into the deck core via the bolt holes. Anything I can do to mitigate potential future deterioration?

Anyone know what the deck core material is on this boat and how the core will react to the water intrusion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I realize your post was a while back. I also have a CAL31 (79) and I think they are a good solid boat. How did your leak problem resolve? Is there anything you can share?

Regards,

Chris
Santa Cruz, CA

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, I found out the core is a product called Klegacell (sp?) and is not supposed to rot when wet. Good thing because as I removed deck fittings to re-bed them water dripped in below from the core. Deck is solid but every last deck fitting needed re-bedding. So far butyl tape is working great.

Am now at the boat in Placida, FL getting ready to launch for a few months.

Regards,
Brian McMahon
s/v Windchaser

1 - 3 of 3 Posts