SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cleaning a 1981 Lewmar 40, 2 speed halyard winch and found a lot of scoring on the spindle assy teeth. Attached pics show assy as I found it. Is this correct or are the inner teeth worn away? I find it hard to imagine the bronze teeth (which are fine) could have worn away the stainless.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
looks like the bronze has polished the stainless but I do not see any wear. I would give that shaft another 30 years

·
Master Mariner
8,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I can't find any pics of the spindle assy online that show the teeth quite like these. Thanks again.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Capta--From the snaps, there may be some modest wear but nothing exceptional or that would not be considered "wearing in" as that term was used when "precision machining" wasn't quite so precision as it may be now. Give the gears a good coating of grease, the paws a nice bath of 3-in-1 Oil and slap that puppy back together and you'll be good for another 30 years.

FWIW...

·
Registered
196 Posts
wear marks like that could be from a burr during manufacturing for winches of that age they look mint grease them up real good and they will last you the life of your boat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts