SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am looking at this cal 34 mk3, and I noticed that it is listed as being built in 1982. I read elsewhere that 1979 was the last year of production for the cal 34? I looked up the vessel registration number on the CG site, and it has it listed as 1982 also. I am interested in this boat but it seems like kind of a red flag. Anyone ever had something like this come up? Thanks

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The Cal 34 was replaced by the Cal 35 in 1979. And the 35 was replaced by the Cal 33 in 1985. So either that is a 35 or the wrong year for a 34. The hull number molded into the stern would give you the answer.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
It looks like a nice boat.

The USCG uses the HIN to establish the date of manufacture. So, you either have an anomaly in the HIN, or the "elsewhere" source of information is incorrect. I would look closely at the HIN for any sign of tampering. I would also look at the USCG data to see the history of the vessel. You could also ask the broker or current owner.

This would be more of a yellow flag to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I have been waiting for the owner to get back to me with the HIN. Are there any big differences as far as structural strength etc between the 34 mk3 and a 35? I was interested in the mk3 because I've heard good things about its offshore capabilities.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
I was VERY interested in the Cal 35, and I am guessing that is what you are really looking at. The Cal 35 IS a great boat.

Do not get wrapped around the idea of looking for an "offshore" boat. ANY boat can be an offshore boat with the right skipper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not too wrapped up in the offshore idea, but there seems to be a lot more positive things said about the cal vs many others I have been looking at.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The Cal-34 series is often on (subjective, but still......) Lists of Best all around sailboats. I have done one coastal delivery on one and that boat later went cruising to Central America and back with couple. Really nice easy motion at sea and good speed under sail.
If you are shopping from that era and sailing perspective, keep an eye open for a decent Ericson 35-2 or an Islander 36, to name a couple more.
Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Olson, coincidentally I am also looking at an Ericson 35. I don't see any mention of 35-2 , though. Are there big differences between them?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The Cal 35 is a much more modern design compared to the 34. And a larger boat than you might expect, with an LOA almost 2 feet longer and over 3000 lbs heavier. If you have pictures from the owner, it should be easy to figure out what it is by looking at pics and drawings online.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Olson, coincidentally I am also looking at an Ericson 35. I don't see any mention of 35-2 , though. Are there big differences between them?
The Ericson 35-2 was produced from '69 to ''81. One of Bruce King's best all around designs, IMHO. While the hull form reflects the IOR in vogue during the era, it was not extreme, and both the interior layout and cockpit are well laid out.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ericson-35-2?units=imperial

The later ones will have a mahogany or teak interior, and the early ones a molded frp liner. Thru the long production run they transitioned from the A4 gas aux. to a diesel.

It will probably be the only brand on your short list with a deck joined to the hull on the inside with glass roving. i.e. becoming "one piece".

Whatever you choose to fall in love with for your next boat, bias your choice toward Quality and Design.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The Ericson 35 is the same hull as the Pearson Alberg 35. Pearson closed there west coast production facility in the mid '60s and somewhere on the way to
the dump the hull mold miraculously ended up as the Ericson 35 Mk I.

The Erickson 35 Mk II was an entirely different design with a fin keel and modern, moderate IOR influenced underbody. The design was very well received with over 500 of then built during its long production run. Construction is probably comparable to the Cal 34 though the Ericsons tended nicer finished interiors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts