SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

I am needing some opinions on this. A friend of the family has passed and left this beautiful sailboat to us. It does need TLC, some of the outside wood needs to be sanded and redone a bit. Inside could use some reupholstered cushions, a good cleaning, some electronics. I know the engine fires up and runs well. Not sure on the hours on her but its strong! The sails and rigging are just two years old. This is most definitley a oceangoing vessel and very strong. The sailboat currently sits in Grand Lake, OK...which its a tad big for the lake. Im wondering if this would be worth fixing or better off selling? Now, I am a NOOB to sailing and my free time is very limited with my businesses. Im leaning torwards selling her to one of you REAL sailors:cool:. ive done research and know very little about this vessel. Is anyone familair? What would she be worth?

Respectfully,

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't have a boat, and I have never been sailing. From what I have read If you were on the coast it would be a tat big for a beginner, but doable and a nice boat. You may be right about it being large for lake sailing. At the very least clean it up and sail it a few times.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mermaid,

this is an old boat with old equipment. It does needs a lot of fixing.
Froms the pics one get the impression of some time of neglect.

For me, very far from being a potential customer, the hull and deck shapes looks nice. This promise to be a good boat, that will sail well (maybe not fast, which is another thing).

Downside:
- old engine. May start, and may work for a long time. But its economical life is over. It doesn't have any (positive) value.
- engine control panel should be in the cockpit, not at the nav station.
- Interior planning is not what one could expect for a 37' ft boat. This looks more like a 33 fr interior.

Value:
I really can't say as prices differ very much betwwen countries ad regions. You can look up the same model on Yachtworld, or just google it, and see expected (nb: expected) price level.
Boatprices are low these days. A 30 year old boat, price is not high. If sold like it looks now, price is expected to be very low as some rather expensive repairs will be included in hte equation (as replacing the engine, which I guess is in the range of $ 10k - $ 20k).

Good Luck!

/J

·
599 Posts
This is a "how long is a piece of string" question.

Boats are expensive and very time consuming. You will have heard that boat is an acronym for "Bring Out Another Thousand"!

From the pictures it looks like a clean, well-maintained boat. A bit tired, but not unusually so for a boat that age. If you are willing to put in the time (a lot) and effort she can be kept that way. If not, you would be best advised to sell now; without use/maintenance she will quickly become increasingly "shabby"; most marinas have boats where the owners left the maintenance too long, then found the boat would not sell - or was worth a fraction of the perceived value.

I may be reading too much into your email, but you imply that you are not an experienced sailor. So as I see it you have two choices: 1) Take necessary lessons, keep the boat for 12 months, learn enough to make an informed decision based on cost/time/enjoyment. Or (2) Sell her now before she goes downhill. To me, keeping her but not using her would be a really bad decision. She'll never appreciate in value - but will depreciate fast. Entropy is a b*tch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,090 Posts
Keep the boat, learn to sail, quit spending so much time at work!

Seriously, from the pics it looks like a pretty nice older boat that you could have tons of fun sailing. Yes you will have to spend some money on upkeep, but you inherited the boat for free. With a little cleaning up and some ongoing maintenance you have the equivalent of a nice little lake cottage if nothing else!

·
Freedom isn't free
3,284 Posts
All things being considered... there are a couple problems...
A) it's an older boat in just OK shape (keeping value low)
B) it's a larger boat on an inland lake, drastically reducing the audience that'd be interested
C) the used boat market is saturated (still), making it likely worth less yet.

Might be better to sail it, and slowly upgrade it, leaving a FOR SALE BY OWNER on the stern rail. Sorry it seems like a decent boat, seafarer made a quality boat.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Looks pretty good in the photos to me. Why not clean it up and do just the necessary repairs (if there are any) and sail it for a while. You just might find that you like sailing and have a nice boat to spend your holidays on. What the heck, it's a free boat....

BTW, the engine panel at the nav table is a great idea- it keeps it out of the elements. The only thing you might want to check is if the alarms can be heard from the cockpit. After a little while you'll know the RPMs just by the sound of the engine.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
that is a good boat that has sat for a while...thats all...simple...clean it up and your are good to go!

you want to see a project like at my islander 36 thread

I would use it, enjoy it...and if you feel like changing boats after a while sell it

2 year old sails, a working yanmar inboard and a clean overall boat is more than most ever get! jajajaaj

congrats!

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Here are a few more pics! Let me know your thoughts! Positive or Negative!
this panel and breakers is well thought out and clean and efficient looking...separate bilge breakers, voltmeter etc

a lot of thought and love was put into this boat...

I would honor your friends by keeping it and even making her look better...learn along the way:)

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I think she looks good. I like the look of Seafarer's but they are not very fast designs. They are good comfortable boats that can likely take much more that it would see on a lake. I agree if you have any interest in sailing, then learn to sail and enjoy it. If not try to sell it now, just don't think it is worth a lot of money. I see lots of people who inherit boats and have the notion they are worth a lot more than they are. They list them at very high prices and they sit and rot. Fast sales normally happen due to low prices. The flip side is that if you ask the full going rate then you might have the boat for a few years. In those few years you will spend thousands on maintaining it. So the question is do you want to spend money on a boat and enjoy it, or dump it now. It may sound harsh but nothing makes a boat go down hill quicker than sitting. The other thing is that it will have limited interest in the current location and trucking would likely cost more than she is worth.

As far as maintaining it I think you can expect to spend about $2,000 a year on average on maintenance but will very depending on how much you can do yourself. Plus your slip fees. If that is something you can handle and want to enjoy sailing do it. I would not worry too much about the engine, but you might want to have a mechanic look it over to give advice as to what condition it is in, including a compression test. Most likely it has low hours as it must have been a "dock queen" being on that small of a lake.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
being on a lake is a good point miatapaul...selling here without a trailer or taking a cut in the selling(for trucking expenses) price might make it hard to sell especially for someone new to sailing it will more than likely take a loooooooooooooooooooong time to sell...so why not use it, as using it will maintain her and not let her sit and rot away...

if you dont want to learn to sail or you dont end up enjoying sailing...I would rent her out to experienced sailors and therefore make a bit of money if possible...Im sure others on that lake are familiar with it...

rent her out to friends, family other sailors, or just use it yourself

thats quite a present you have been gifted! jajaja

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a 1981 Seafarer 26 which is basically a smaller version of your 37. Same McCurdy & Rhodes design, lead encapsulated fin keel, skeg hung rudder. The Seafarer boats of that vintage are very solid, comfortable, and fairly basic boats.

We bought ours 3 years ago and spend maybe $3,000 total/year on storage (summer on a mooring, winter in a yard) and routine maintenance. There are cosmetic things we could do to the boat (reupholstering cushions is on the list) but they are not essential to enjoying the boat.

If the boat was sailed seasonally on fresh water (as mine was for its lifetime) it is likely in very good shape, some cosmetic issues aside. Our Yanmar 1 gm fires up strong every spring and just keeps on going. Not one issue whatsoever with it (knock on wood).

I say, sail the boat on that lake. How much would you spend for a vacation rental for one week in the summer? For that about that amount, you can spend your weekends and vacations on the water all season long.

The value of that boat has probably bottomed out at around $10,000 and will remain there as long as the engine keeps functioning and basic maintenance is done. Putting money into the boat could get the purchase price up, but not dollar for dollar.

So, sail. And enjoy.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
In general freshwater boats have always had the highest value as it is just much less harsh on the boat

The issue becomes the local area value, as somebody's really got to want the boat to invest the perhaps 10K to move it long distance

·
Registered
261 Posts
that is a good boat that has sat for a while...thats all...simple...clean it up and your are good to go!

you want to see a project like at my islander 36 thread

I would use it, enjoy it...and if you feel like changing boats after a while sell it

2 year old sails, a working yanmar inboard and a clean overall boat is more than most ever get! jajajaaj

congrats!
^this

If somebody gave me that boat I'd sail the everloving gelcoat off of it and you couldn't sand my smile off with 80-grit.

·
Dirt Free
3,398 Posts
Christian I don't often disagree with you but I think you are way off base on this. The OP is a self proclaimed Noob with limited time. The 40year old systems on this boat will drain him financially unless he inherited a wad of cash to go with the boat. The chances of this being a "clean it up & go sailing" boat are pretty slim.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
where do you guys see that he is going to dump a bunch of money?

he said he has 2 year old sails, and he said the engine runs well...by looking at the pics I dont see where the wad of cash is going

cleaning, paint and varnish here and there...I mean the bulkheads have the original stain in it no water damage

looks at the portlights! they are beautiful..

I dont see anything catastrophic...maybe dive the boat first and see whats going on around the keel...thats all I would advise at this point

not that Im not a romantic but I dont think im WAY off base

thats a bit harsh man

being a noob is both a blessing and a curse...thats why I offered other ways of doing something with the boat...instead if just selling it which might be hard to do there

for example does the boat come with a big trailer? if not chances are if he sells it it will likely only be to someone else on that lake...thats fine but hell probably sell for real real cheap...

if thats the case id rather learn or share with the pos family or even rent it out to those with more experience

Im by no means saying that this is his only option...

just my cents

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.