SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a dilemma. Have had my boat only since Sept. 2008. Have had it winterized since Nov. and may not be able to sail it this summer. Am I better off leaving it winterized until next summer? Can I damage anything?I have even thought about selling her but dont really want to.
I am worried mostly about the engine. Should I do anything extra to it for this extended period of time? I live in the cold north ( Nova Scotia, Canada ). Will appreciate all comments and advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Judy,

My suggestion is that you leave the boat fully winterized until you know for certain that you can use it this summer. If it turns out that you can't use it, you should be fine leaving everything as is.

This assumes that you fully winterized the engine, added fuel stabilizer, loosened belts, plugged exhaust outlet, etc. Also, it would be wise to charge the batteries every 2-4 months or so (depending whether wet cell or AGM), so that they do not go completely flat. Consider ventilating the boat from time to time, too.

Hopefully you can keep the boat and enjoy her again someday. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts