SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am in the final stages of deciding whether to purchase a 1987 Pearson 39-2.
It appears that the moisture ingress and deck delamination along and about 6-8 inches up from the toe rail. This top skin delamination and moisture damage may be a result of the interface of the toe rail to the deck joint - I have been told that Pearson used plywood beneath this section of the deck. I have three questions: 1) Can anyone confirm the construction of this area of the deck, and 2) has anyone put more drain holes in the toe rail to attempt to improve the moisture draining from the deck - and if so what did you do and how did it work out? Finally 3) can anyone share with me a digital copy of the original owners manual?
Thank you
Most of the delamination does not appear structural but certainly appears to be a concern since the boat is in the very far north east and subject to freeze thaw cycles

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Not sure if Pearson used plywood or balsa in that location. But putting more holes to "drain" the moisture is not the solution. If there is delamination, the only proper solution is open it up, replace the wet and rotted core, and then redo the fiberglass. Depending on how extensive the water intrusion is, this can be a big job and will be expensive if you have a yard do the work.

Not sure about this model, but in this period, Pearson used gaskets to seal the lifeline stanchions rather than bedding them. This was a common source of water intrusion into the decks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mads from Sail life is currently working on a yacht from the same year, his is a Warrior 38ft model.
He had exactly the same issues you are describing his core material was a mixture of Ply and Foam.

Take a look at his great youtube channel:

I think the deck repairs start around this clip:

If you watch his work in replacing the core you may be shocked with the work needed, maybe not check it out.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
One other thing to check on is whether that era of Pearson construction was still using "rubber gaskets" under each stanchion base. Those allowed water into the coring after a few years.
That gasket idea probably looked OK on paper, but in use it was (really really) terrible.

Mentioned in post #2, and deserving of a "plus one".

Basic construction was good otherwise and they benefited from good overall sailing design.

Fair winds... and let us know if you buy it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The present owner re-bedded all stanchions and removed the gaskets and did the standard job of over drilling hole size - removing localized rotted core - filling with epoxy, re-drilling and re-bedding.
I checked out this boat in 2008 when I ended buying a Whitby 42, had the same evidence of delam. I would love to get my hands on an owners manual from the P39-2 - hoping to find someone
If there is plywood at the deck joint - that is probably what is helping the delam.
Not sure whether to proceed or not yet on the purchase
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts