SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a listed Hunter 26.5 on Craig's for Las Cruces NM. Lots of pics looks nice to me, but the keel has a stripe around it near the hull (repair maybe). It's a bit rich for my blood, but I freak out every time I see any local ads because of my obsession with getting a decent sized trailor sailor. The guy wants 4800.00.

I'm posting this because it may be a find for anyone on SN. And also because I would like critical opinions and such about what is first seen in the ad. I need to get a grip on my excitement and also learn about the accuracy of my initial assessment. Feel free to tell me if you think I'm an idiot. There's lots of time for me to get a lot more prudent about all this. So what do you prudent experienced owners think of her?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the 23 looks much more doable for me. AT first I did not notice it includes a trailer. The Cal 2-24, I was talking to the seller and he quit communicating with me. Also if you look close at the interior picture looking aft you can see the deck core looks to be delaminated under the mast step, and he also said the boom was missing, those are deal breakers to me taken hand in hand.

The 26 is located close to Elephant Butte lake which has some rock outcrop hazards in it My friend who has sailed NM for over 20 years said it could be very likely the keel was put up against something hard in that lake. But if it was sheared I would think it would occur closer to the hull.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
I'm not familiar with the keel on that boat. It may be (pure speculation from a novice) that the keel trunk (or whether the mounting part is called) extends down to there, and what you're seeing is a separation at the keel/hull joint. Again, pure speculation on my part.

In looking at the Grampian 23 pictures, I noticed the running rigging arrangement. Someone took the time to think that through, which is a nice touch. I don't like the exposed/open port-a-potty, but that's not a HUGE deal (IMHO). Over all, the rest of the boat seemed decent. Yes, she's older and a bit tired looking, but I didn't see anything that screamed "soft deck core" or "previously flooded".

I'm a little leery about the Hunter because the ad only has two pictures and they are from far away. I'd also have to research the '86 Hunter 23's to find out more about their reputation. That was an era when Hunter was building some decent (low end, but decent) boats, and also some junk, so I'd really want to research that boat more before going to see it.

It stinks that the Cal's owner disappeared, but if she has the problems you mentioned, it's probably for the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts