SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hallo
i have accedentaly started my engine in revears. which have apperently put a lot of lowd on it and it started wrong and ternd the whole engine the wrong direction. this is apperenetly somthing that tends to happen in this small engine when it is started menually and especially under lowd like in revears.
after blowing a lot of smoke into the boat for 5 seconds it shut down in a big boom! then i put in nutral and started it and it started fine but i could heer a metalic runging from the engine so i stoppd it qwikly. then when i tryde to tern it agein it was stuck. if i try very hard or if i tern it a littel the other way it get relleasd for a while but then it gets stuck agein after a few terns or if i play with the presser release handel.

i have just arrived in barbados from europe and i find it hard to find a good trust worthy mechanic here that arrives on time and im very short on money.
i have already took out the engine and checkd a few things-
1.fly-weel was taken out and is complitly fine
2.gear box taken out and is fine
3. gear housing cover taken off and all under it seems to be fine
4. oil sump taken off and the connecting rod seems to be completly fine.
5. the cover of the valvs was taken off and nothing seems to be broken

it seems the only thing i didnt take apart is the engine head and im worrid it might be too much for my knoledg since im not a mechanic
dose anybody have any advice on what the problem might be?

thank you all very much
gal

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
You have one of the easiest engines to work on. Pop the valve cover off..remove your one injector hand turn the motor in the correct rotation and watch to see if your valves and rockers are moving correctly up and down. If so then I'd do a compression check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not sure i understand.
what do you mean ecsactly by remove the injector? and what is a compression test and how do i do it? if you know more about this then please explein good couse have never opend anything in the head of the engine like the cilinder and the injector

thanks
gal

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Gal...

For a compression check, you have to take out the injector and put a pressure gauge in the same place, then crank the engine.

If you have started in reverse, you noticed exhaust gases coming out of the air filter, filling the boat, but I would be more worried about drawing cooling water in through the exhaust valves. I am not sure that had happened as the coolant pump would have been running in reverse unless it is electrical (and that is rare) and so not feeding the exhaust elbow, but there may have been enough suction to draw stagnant water up from your exhaust and in to the combustion chamber. If the engine were spinning at any reasonable rate it will lock up horribly.

My friend, it does not sound good. The metallic sound could be a bent valve (or valves) clashing with the top of the piston. Worse is that you may have also bent the crank and/or a con rod.

Starting in reverse is not unknown. It does happen. I have heard of it happening in 2 cycle motorcycles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.