SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Learning the HARD way...
7,891 Posts
Reaction score
That sounds like good advice, fewer hoses and fittings below the waterline.

It would take some heft away from my manly pile of bronze though :)

I suppose the thing to do would be to have both cockpit drains go right to a 90º pointed towards a T in the middle. That hose could be supported to the floor of the cockpit and they'd meet in a T and there'd only be one hose going down below the waterline. I may have to order more stuff.
If this is for cockpit drains, I suggest that you eliminate the "T" entirely, and bore another hole - meaning that you'll need another manly pile of bronze. By using a "T" you are effectively cutting the total draining capacity in half, and doubling the time that it would take to empty the cockpit, and doubling likelyhood of a plugged drain.

7,891 Posts
Reaction score
This is what I'm replacing:
:eek::eek::eek:

Correct the issues, and do it right this time, so you don't have to do it all over again. I suggest that each hose deserves its own through hull.

7,891 Posts
Reaction score
Adding that the reason for the NPS thread is that it enables the installer to cut the through hull fitting to the correct length to accommodate the thickness of the hull and backing plate, while the NPT allows the seacock to be tightened down onto the flange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.