SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally picked up a sailboat!

P15, it seems to be all there and good except the jib is trashed and the sheet lines are trashed..

The main sail is of questionable integrity also but no damage..

Might also replace a couple of the pulleys with Not so great plastic wheels..

Where can I get the absolute cheapest replacement sails for this thing?
It doesn’t need to race or be great at anything other than getting on the water to learn..

I see I can get the sails from precision but I read of wait times..

Any place to get absolute CHEAP sails fast?

Would sails of a similar size that are not made for the precision work as long as they aren’t too big?

Ill probably try it with just the main..

The boat has a poorly done hull repair that I will redo better as I have a bunch of matting and resin in the shop from another project.. No big deal to me..

Seems to have an almost new complete rudder assembly..

It has bangs all over it really, but I’m probably just going to add a bunch more..

Thing is kinda big but super light it seems..
Saw it on the side of the road for sale and pulled it home with my 2.0 WRX and it pulled it awesome..

I’m thinking this will be a great first learner boat..

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
You can get by with a used jib that is close to correct size. Most important is a luff length that is not too long. Finding a used main that will fit is tougher. And buy real marine blocks, not a plastic pulleys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Extremely cheap, lol..

I’m already almost double the cost of this boat just preparing it to go out..
But I’ve about committed to whatever it takes to make this boat right..

I have a 1980 4.5 evinrude in my sights for it..
I think this will be a good engine for it..

I’m going to take it out and play with it with just the main sail, and if it turns out I like it and it’s a good boat, I will likely just break down and buy new sails for it from precision..

Get it fixed up pretty nice and it will probably bring decent value to put toward my goal boat some day after I use this one to learn on..
Assuming I don’t sink it..

I’d really like to find a diagram of where/how the foresail/jib, forestay, and jib halyard are supposed to rig on this boat, as original..

I think the furling jib itself is the forestay, but it doesn’t seem to attach to the mast where the other stays attach, but lower, as if this might have been modified already to fit a slightly smaller jib/forestay..

And it has a pulley as if for a jib halyard, but that wouldn’t make sense with a furling jib, or maybe it is just something to help raise the mast..

Something is weird..

The precision site parts list lists a jib halyard but how does that make sense with a furling jib?
Idk..

I’ve already got a decent amount of work done on this boat including glassing the side of it where their was a poorly repaired crack, replaced some lines that had crap/junk rope on them, tuned up the trailer, cleaned out the bilge, etc..

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Those are good boats and sail very well worth fixing up give Precision a call they will know what you need. 4.5 is a bit big for that boat. 2 hp is a better match if you really need a motor. The weight of the 4.5 will effect the sailing of that boat. Best to sail without a motor while learning to sail and learning how to recover the boat after a capsize.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I need a motor to get in and out of the dock, and to get back if I need to..

I think this boat is far too big for one person to paddle..

You think the 4.5 is too big?
I like that it has the tank right on it..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The manual describes the hank on jib, but not the furling jib setup..

PBW60033 Jib Tang Extension (For Furling System)
???

I am confused about what forestay setup I should have with this furling jib setup..
Something seems incorrect..

·
Freedom isn't free
3,254 Posts
I used to paddle my Capri 14.2 (same size)... you'd be amazed.
better to just sail it, paddle only if you absolutely have to (you can thank me later).
I would recommend you not sail with a jib for a bit anyway... get used to sailing with one sail then add the jib to the mix.

I agree with others 4.5hp is way overkill for a 15 footer. I used to use a trolling motor and that also was heavy ish with the battery involved.

This is being pedantic, so bear with me, the ropes are lines... the pulleys are sheaves.
It'll help you find cheap replacements with the right names for them (use your Google Foo young padawan). This is not me giving grief, but trying to help you find what you need.

Defender.com is an option for lines (to be fair, so does West Marine, and many other online retailers)... my guess is most things will be 3/16 on that boat.

your Subaru WRX will be fine towing it. I used my Chevy Malibu tow my 14.2

The furling systems were made by CDI, and were really just a rotating drum around a forestay. catalinadirect used to sell all those parts (for the catalinas). You are going to hurl when you see these prices... but here goes

OH my $0.02 is that you not bother with a furler for the boat, just hoist it if you want it, its about the size of a large handkerchief.

That P15 is a helluva boat, and you may not ever want to give it up! I still miss my Capri 14.2 at times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have the harken furler basket and swivel, and they work good..

I think I am missing this part..

Is that the same thing as “ PBW60033 Jib Tang Extension (For Furling System)”?

Different words?

Because the jib I got with it doesn’t reach to what I believe is the connection on the mast for the headstay..

Instead, their is a loop fitting down the mast a little bit that looks like it was added on custom, which perfectly fits the jib (steel cable in it) and the harken furling gear..

But I don’t trust it for all that because it is really only on the mast with 2 screws! Instead of a bunch of rivets like the connections for the headstay and shrouds..

I think it is missing something that would extend the Jim and furling gear length to reach up the mast to the forestay connection, and instead they screwed another loop to the mast?

I believe what I am going to do is go get me some stainless cable, terminations, a turnbuckle, and a couple of shackles, and make it a new headstay.. And then I could just use a hank on jib from there..

Probably going to call precision and just ask them questions about how their hardware works as original..

Not sure if I want to put the furling gear in the headstay or not.. Probably not..
I need to really figure all this out first..

I’m kinda surprised that china doesn’t make a bunch of cheap throwaway hank on jibs in universal sizes..

I bought marine nylon line from Home Depot..
I replaced the main sheet with it and the line they had in kindof a forestay position that they may have been just using to help raise the mast..

All the other lines seem very strong still..

The pic of the mast is the 3 connections for the shrouds/forestay, a sheave just below it, and that loop screwed onto it down a little ways..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Be careful reinventing the wheel and using home depot line. You would be best off to call Precision and ask before making your own parts. If you have the roller furler it is a great option to have and makes sailing easier. There is manual on their web site that discribes the rigging. The furler is the lower drum and the upper swivel the sail would have a wire sewn in the luff of the sail that is the forestay. Simular but not the same as big boat furlers. The furler attaches to the bow stem fitting and the tang on the mast. The eye bolt on the deck is for the jib down haul and the fair lead is for the furling line which is wound around the the drum. Look up Harken small boat furler , it is a $1000 option.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nylon line is a poor choice for sheets. Too stretchy. Get polyester double braid.
Oh, well it’s all I could find, even after going to 2 marinas..
It’s all just dock lines and anchor lines.. Powerboat stuff..

Is nylon also a poor choice for halyards?

I called precision but they have short business hours and won’t be open again until Monday..

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Is nylon also a poor choice for halyards?
Yes!!! You want low stretch line, and nylon is NOT that. Nylon is fine for dock lines because it stretches under load. If you can't find polyester double braid (like Sta-Set) in your local marine stores, go online. I usually use Defender.com, but there are lots of choices. No West Marine near you?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
On a p15’ you want a line like Staset 5/16” for sheets and 1/4” for halyards
Most double braid is plenty strong but you want line that does not stretch
If it was mine I would use Samson MLX3 on the halyards and Samson XLS3 on the sheets

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might replace all the lines some day..
Right now I just want it to work…

dropping pics

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free
3,254 Posts
Looks like most of the lines are there. Maybe run them through the laundry with some fabric softener, let them air dry.

The boat looks in good shape though, so helluva find.

Someone fixed a Baby bob to the top of the mast which will help as you learn, the boat won't turn turtle on you it'll be easier to right then, and great for learning. It was objective number one we had for newbies learning on the 14.2, so it is a great start for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts