SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any response will be appriciated. I''m planning to buy my 1st sail boat. A friend want to sell his 1978 Spirit 6.5 for abt. $3,000. It includes a trailer,out board engine and in ready to sail condition. This is a 21ft boat and we plan to use it on the Chesapeake Bay. Mainly for 1-4 days cruising. Most time it will carry 2 people and sometimes 4. Any input regagrding the size, boat quality, price, or better alternatives.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 77 Spirit 23 - I think the extra 2 feet and a fixed shoal keel is "beefy" - and a bear to trailer. That said I've been out middle river into the bay while it was blowing stink and it does feel better to have a few thousand pounds under my feet.

That said parts are impossible to find for these rare boats - while a popular boat like a Catalina 22 is easier to get parts for.

·
Registered
545 Posts
All things are relevant, don't forget. To me, without seeing the boat, $3,000 is a lot for a '78 Spirit 21. This is a buyer's market, it's coming on winter in your area and the market is flush with available options. Take your time and go and look at several boats before you make this plunge. Also, you mentioned "1-4days...and possibly 4 people". That's gonna be a really, really, really tight time on the old waterfront there. Oh, I'm sure there's 4 places for people to lay down, but just wait until it's "teeth brushing time" or worse......good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts