SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a small 4 stroke outboard engine and I want your advice about it.

I used for many years a Tohatsu small 2 stroke engine that had give me full satisfaction and never give a problem, but now we have to use 4st engines and that one is out of question.

4st engines are a lot heavier and that rules out anything except the smaller ones, with a weight between 15 and 19kg.

I have tried the Honda and I did not like it: Makes an infernal noise.

Have heard that the small Yamaha has sometimes trouble in starting.

Heard good things about the Suzuki.

and nothing about the Tohatsu, Selva, or about the several Chinese inexpensive one.

Low weight, easy start, low noise and of course trouble free are the main requirements for me and I guess for everyone, not to mention price, of course.

So, who was information to share?

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,194 Posts
For an engine that small, what about a torqeedo electric outboard? They are expensive but not having to carry fuel would be a big plus in my book. For long term cruising they may not be the best answer, but weekends they would be ideal.

torqeedo: Produktübersicht

I used to own the Honda 2 hp, being only air cooled it was loud, and I found it very sensitive to fuel, cold, anything but perfect conditions, hated the thing ;)

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I have had a Honda 2HP for over 20 years. Still runs perfectly after being run hard for that time. Don't know how to compare the noise issue but it has never bothered me. Has a lot of thrust, driving a 12 foot Jon boat with two people and fishing gear at 5.4 mph per the GPS, weighs 27 lbs and uses almost one pint of gas for about four hours of trolling. Based on my experience I would buy another one.

Paul T

Forgot this, we are at 6,700 feet elevation so it is down somewhat on power compared to sea level.

·
Old soul
4,491 Posts
I'm on the same search PCP, and have pretty much decided on a new 3.5 hp Tohatsu. I've decided against the Honda 2 hp b/c of the noise. It looks great, but it is air cooled, hence the noise.

I seriously considered the Torqeedo Travel. Love the idea of no gasoline, and the aesthetics of low noise and renewal power seems great. But the limited range, and very high cost (could by two or three new gas engines for the same price) has led me back to the Tohatsu 3.5.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
I bought a new Yamaha 4hp which is very similar to the smaller hp models (single cylinder). Hated it for several reasons (loud, hard start, finicky). Sold it at a loss just to get rid of it and bought a used two stroke. Love it. Sorry I can't offer a good suggestion PCP, maybe they have been improved in the last two years, hope so.

Edit: I have a friend that bought a new Torqeedo, he's had trouble with it, not sure exactly what all the problems have been but we could only get it to work intermittently the one time I was out with him on his Hobie and it was less than a year old. Replacement batteries are REALLY expensive I guess.

·
Registered
551 Posts
On the Honda, wear ear plugs. Corrosion inside the engine is not a problem with air cooling, although I have to admit that the stainless steels they use in some of the modern outboards is an improvement

·
Registered
173 Posts
Am I to understand that you are not allowed to use the 2 stroke motors any longer or that you just do not wish to do so? We still have a 2.5 merc, 2 stroke, which has been just perfect on our 6'8" Montgomery dink. Weight is the main consideration for us.

Evinrude has the small E-Tec engines which are 2 stroke but EPA approved as related to emissions issues. They seem to be lighter than the 4 stroke engines. My neighbor has a larger E-Tec and loves it. It is now 5 years old and has had no issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.5hp outboards..here's a gamechanger....

here's something very new, a propane-powered outboard:

Propane powered Outboard Marine Engine, 2.5HP, Short Shaft (Lehr) - Four-Stroke Outboards

i have no connection to west marine or the makers of this motor but it sounds interesting.

reviews i've read said it always starts on the first pull, no priming or choking involved, no gas to get stale or gum up the carb.

i have the Honda 2hp and live with the noise. what i don't like about the Honda is not having neutral. the centrifugal clutch is nice but is not an honest neutral until the motor has warmed up.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've used my new Suzuki 2.5 for one season. I like it. I had no problems with it, but I have only one season as a reference.

Pro:
Good runnablilty
Plenty of power for moving my 7' inflatable
nice controls
easy to service (change oil)
lightweight..easy to move from sternrail to dinghy in water

Con:
The noise...seemed pleasant enough at first, like my old Honda Trail 90 from 1966. A quieter two cylinder four stroke engine would be awesome, but likely too expensive. In this power range, you just have to deal with the racket and vibration. I should add that the Suzuki is no noisier than its competition.

I can certainly recommend the Suzuki 2.5, based on my experience.

The main downside to these small motors, IMO, is their vulnerability to stale gas. Carbs with tiny jets that tend to get clogged up. The shelf life of modern gasoline is not long, maybe 4 to 6 weeks before it begins to go bad. More, but not indefinite if you use fuel stabilizer. That's a problem for most of who don't use our little outboards all the time. I try to avoid problems by putting a little stabilizer in the outboard's tank when I'm done using it for a couple weeks or more and letting the engine run until the carb is empty. I pour leftover fuel from my two gallon red jerry can into my car. Next time I plan to cruise and use the 2.5, I get fresh fuel for it. With these little engines, it's ALL about the fuel.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You can use existing 2 stroke motors, it's just that they can't sell new ones anymore. To be more precise, new outboards have to meet newer emissions requirements, and the manufacturers did that with 4 strokes. They might have been able to develop better 2 strokes, but that's a moot point.

I've owned the Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke, and now have the Suzuki 2.5. I liked the Tohatsu a lot more. It seemed to be better made, and ran better. The Suzuki has an annoying habit of stalling if you open the throttle too fast. The Tohatsu always ran perfectly, except for the time I took it to a lake at 10,000 ft. (turns out I should have put in high altitude jets)

The downside was the Tohatsu was a bit heavier, 43 lbs vs. 35 or so.

There's nothing stopping you from buying a used 2-stroke off Craigslist or whatever, btw.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am I to understand that you are not allowed to use the 2 stroke motors any longer or that you just do not wish to do so? We still have a 2.5 merc, 2 stroke, which has been just perfect on our 6'8" Montgomery dink. Weight is the main consideration for us.

Yes, they cannot sell 2st engines in Europe anymore. There is a moratorium on 2st engines. If you have one you can still use it, I don't know exactly till when.

In fact I agree with that law. A 2 stroke engine puts oil on the water, no matter the emissions.

Yes, I agree, weight is important but a 4st engine can be hard to start so that is also important, as noise, in what regards no water cooled engines.

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

I've owned the Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke, and now have the Suzuki 2.5. I liked the Tohatsu a lot more. It seemed to be better made, and ran better. The Suzuki has an annoying habit of stalling if you open the throttle too fast. The Tohatsu always ran perfectly, except for the time I took it to a lake at 10,000 ft. (turns out I should have put in high altitude jets)

The downside was the Tohatsu was a bit heavier, 43 lbs vs. 35 or so.

Thanks. Regarding the Suzuky 2.5, that was the one that I had better references, do you had any problems with starting?

Regarding the Tohatsu, if the 3.5 runs well, the chances are the smaller 2.5 runs well too. That one weights 38.6lbs but unfortunately the small one weights the same.

The Susuky 2.5 weights 29lbs and that is a considerable difference.

Regards

Paulo

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
I have a Suzuki 2.5hp, bought it new last summer. Seems to work fine, having neutral is a nice bonus over the Honda 2hp, so you can actually start it with some choke without the dingy disappearing into the distance. Has started everytime, runs fairly quiet, lightweight. Just have to watch out for the piss coming in the boat when you spin it into reverse :)

·
19,489 Posts
Agree with Paul that the neutral gear is worth the extra money and weight.. we have a 7 year old Nissan 3.5 that has performed flawlessly despite being relatively rarely used. However it is a two stroke...

Made by Tohatsu, as are merc and others in that range, Nissan offered the best warranty. Not sure if Tohatsu makes the 4 strokes for all the others too...

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
There is and emissions rule that does NOT care how many strokes it has and the big two strokes 250HP are quite clean and the technology has worked its way down to 15 hp 2s.

The large DFI 4 strokes are also really clean and top out at 350HP but there freaking BIG

At the below 15 hp level the tech cost to much money and weight SO you have POS 4 stroke motors

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Thanks. Regarding the Suzuky 2.5, that was the one that I had better references, do you had any problems with starting?

Regarding the Tohatsu, if the 3.5 runs well, the chances are the smaller 2.5 runs well too. That one weights 38.6lbs but unfortunately the small one weights the same.

The Susuky 2.5 weights 29lbs and that is a considerable difference.

Regards

Paulo
The Suzuki always starts on the first pull. The Tohatsu ALWAYS started on the third pull. I'd call both of them very reliable starters.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Evinrude has the small E-Tec engines which are 2 stroke but EPA approved as related to emissions issues. They seem to be lighter than the 4 stroke engines. My neighbor has a larger E-Tec and loves it. It is now 5 years old and has had no issues.

I think the Evinrude 2 strokes are made by Bombardier

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very happy with the 2.5 hp Suzuki

I bought a new Suzuki 2.5 hp made in Thailand three years ago and am very happy with it. I don't use it very often (as I prefer to row) but it runs very smoothly, doesn't drink a lot of gas. It's small, light and not expensive.

As I don't use it very often, it has spent a lot of time laying on the side recommeded by Suzuki for stowing (handle down). The only trouble I had was when the starter coil would not turn because the oil had drained above the spark plug. Easy to fix. Good as new and now the outboard stays upright on a board from the mizzen mast shrouds.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts