SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I was gonna buy a 2 stroke motor off a guy this week so I went out and bought a brand new gas can and 2 stroke motor oil. Added exactly 1 gallon plus the exact amount of two stroke oil to it so I was ready when the guy brought the motor to my house. He acted anxious when I wanted to start it...then told me this model needed regular 30 weight oil mixed with the gas. So I poured exactly 3 capfulls (cap off the top of my oil bottle) into the mix. Then he got really weird and I basically think the motor was a non-running scam..he picked up his motor and left...my question is..can I use this fuel in my johnson 9.9..it's mixed for it perfectly except, like I said I did ad 3 capfulls of 30 weitht (new) oil to it...what is the groups opinion...will this work? Am I safe to run this in my motor? ?Thank you, Stephen

·
Registered
928 Posts
How big is the tank for Johnson?

I would not worry if you were adding one gallon of this mix to 2 or 3 gallons of another pre mix with out the 30wt.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Years ago I took my two cycle in for service he filled it up with his mixed fuel and fired it up. I asked him about the mix, I said that it was a 50 part mix and I have other fuel cans labeled 20-1, 30-1, 50-1 and what was he using and would it hurt it. He told me that every manufacture has a different mix because they each start with a different weight of oil. but after its mixed its all the same. So now I buy the two cycle oil that you squeeze up into a pour chamber and mix that with a gallon of gas and it works for everything and has for years. I dont know how you calculated your oil but 3 caps to a gallon of gas sounds a little weak. maybe 3 caps of oil to 30 caps of gas would be 10-1 . But you are vague on the mix and volume. Hard to figure. I use two cycle oil.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Badsanta (awesome movie!!) what I did is buy the can at kmart then on the same shelf bought a little bottle that said it was ready to ad to a gallon of gas for 2 stroke boat motors. I mixed that and a gallon of gas....then put 3 caps of 30 weight in there when the guy told me it needed regular motor oil...I think he was bullsh##ing...I myself think it will be fine. What does everyone else think...plus like was mentioned I'll be adding it to my 5 gallon tank and it will all mix together just fine I'm sure...Thanks everyone. Stephen

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think you did it right and I think he was misinformed. just dont talk to me on my lunch break ;-)

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
It will run rich (may smoke a little more than usual and may foul the plug a little sooner especially at low rpm ) but, it won't hurt.

try to find some maxima super M and run a 40:1 ( no less thsn 36:1 ) mix, burns clean, used it in one of my racebikes, the top end will thank you

·
Registered
213 Posts
You did it right, and he had it wrong. I have a two horse two stroke johnson. It takes 2 ounces of outboard oil in a gallon of gas whihc is 50:1. I buy the oil at wal-mart or k-mart and it is specifically for 2 stroke outboards. I haven't seen anyone use regular motor oil for years. However when I was in my teens my Dad had an old 5 hp Firestone outboard engine and he used 30 wt motor oil and it seemed to work just fine, but that was 50 years ago and that engine was at least 10 years old then. Times have changed. The mfg specifies outboard oil. That's what you should use.

You can run that fuel in most any gas engine. It will smoke a bit but won't hurt anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts