SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share this for the folks who will appreciate it.

20F is really cold for the locals here in NC.

I went to check on her at 0530 on the way to work. THe batteries are not as good as they could be but by disconnecting the compression on one cylinder and advancing the throttle a lot I was able to start the 30 year old Yanmar 2QM20 without glow plugs.

I figure that's the bottom end of what I will ever ask this engine to do.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
A touch of ether helps diesels start also... But be careful in the usage of ether, because your engine will develop an ether starting habit if you use it all the time.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Just thought I'd share this for the folks who will appreciate it.

20F is really cold for the locals here in NC.

I went to check on her at 0530 on the way to work. THe batteries are not as good as they could be but by disconnecting the compression on one cylinder and advancing the throttle a lot I was able to start the 30 year old Yanmar 2QM20 without glow plugs.

I figure that's the bottom end of what I will ever ask this engine to do.
I have the 2QM20F and I'm always amazed how easy it starts.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If your compression is good, and your oil has not thickened to treacle and emasculated your starter motor, the diesel really should start even when that cold. If compression is good, the temperatures at the top of the compression stroke are fierce, and the ambient temperature does not matter much.

Pls don't use narcotics to start the motor. It gets addicted to them very readily, then it's a diesel junkie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts