SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been AWOL from the board for a while. Sorry about that. Work, kids and other commitments have overrun Sailnet time. :mad:

So now that the 2008 season is at a close (at least for most of us north of the Mason-Dixon Line), it's time to start planning 2009 cruises. What are you planning to do next summer for your cruising?

As for us, two things. First, we're running the Bermuda rally of course. But perhaps more interesting, my small little yacht club has asked me to organize our club cruise. This is what our current thinking is. Starting Sunday, July 12, our "fleet" is going to gather on Block Island, RI. The next day, Monday, we're going to sail to Cuttyhunk on the Elizabeth Islands. From there, to Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard for a few days, and then on to Nantucket for a couple of days more. Then, the slow slog home back west towards New York in the face of the prevailing southwesterlies. If anyone plans to be in the area, feel free to tag along, as we always welcome guests (well, most guests anyway).

So, with that, what are you planning to do next summer? Let's see who has the most interesting plans brewing.

·
... a logical conclusion
430 Posts
I am currently winding-down my last company, and by the end of December I will have closed its books. This will leave me with nothing but my volunteering duties to distract from the ongoing outfitting and shaking-down of Sequitur, and will give us much additional time to enjoy sailing the British Columbia coast through the winter, spring and into the summer of 2009.

In May 2009 I hand-over my Power & Sail Squadron Commander's gavel, and in mid-August I complete my term as President of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association. The next day we intend to sail out from Vancouver on a multi-year exploration with no firm itinerary or schedule.

Initially we are thinking of spending a year-and-a-half or so exploring the west coast of South America and then decide from there where to head.

·
19,488 Posts
Hi Michael, nice to see you back here!

Sounds like some exciting times ahead for you and yours. Wishing you the best of passages.

There is a WVYC member, a retired pilot, who took his Spencer 1330 down to Patagonia and back, we've seen his presentations of that trip - quite amazing. If you plan to head that far south, best stock up on line for shore ties. His tales of "2 anchors and 5 shorelines" were pretty commonplace there. I've forgotten his name but could look it up if you don't already know him.

Cheers

·
... a logical conclusion
430 Posts
Hi Michael, nice to see you back here!

Sounds like some exciting times ahead for you and yours. Wishing you the best of passages.
Thank you for the kind comments.

There is a WVYC member, a retired pilot, who took his Spencer 1330 down to Patagonia and back, we've seen his presentations of that trip - quite amazing. If you plan to head that far south, best stock up on line for shore ties. His tales of "2 anchors and 5 shorelines" were pretty commonplace there.
We certainly intend exploring Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego and beyond. As you know, the northern BC coast makes a good practice ground for that area, although with respect to scale and population, it is a bit like riding with training wheels. We will be well prepared with multiple stern ties and anchors and ready for steep-to anchorages.

I've had the good fortune over the years to have known a number of people who have sailed and explored in Tierra del Fuego and around the Horn, and there are currently a few here in the Bluewater Cruising Association with such experience.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Dan,

I'm planning a trip to Nantuckett in 2009. That's for my wife and I, 4 kids (ages 4 to 12). I was planning to go when the chance of fog diminishes later in the summer (or am I wrong about this?).

Your trip sounds like a fun way to go. Are there other kids on the trip? Which club are you with?

Regards

·
Salty Dog
120 Posts

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Well, at the risk of pissing some of you off, I'm getting ready for my 08/09 cruising season. The boat up here in Toronto is put to bed and at the end of the month I'll go down to Florida to get Breathless ready for winter cruising. Two weeks (I'm getting slower now) to wax the topsides, paint the bottom, and try to remember what's what and then I'm off to the Bahamas. Nassau to clear in then on to the Exumas, Long Island, maybe Rum Cay and of course the Jumentos. We'll stay there till May and then head north again. I much prefer what's below to snow.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan,

I'm planning a trip to Nantuckett in 2009. That's for my wife and I, 4 kids (ages 4 to 12). I was planning to go when the chance of fog diminishes later in the summer (or am I wrong about this?).

Your trip sounds like a fun way to go. Are there other kids on the trip? Which club are you with?

Regards
There definitely are other kids involved, and feel free to tag along (all boats with kids are always on the hunt for other boats with kids; how else are the grown ups ever going to get any peace?). Our boat is ruled by two boys, ages 6 and almost 5 (by the time this summer comes around). In the summer our boat becomes a floating toy store, with everything from Star Wars action figures, to puzzles, to movies, to water toys, etc., etc.

Though there definitely can be fog at or around Nantucket, it's not like Maine. In my experience, the fog is not that big of a deal, and even on the days where there is a decent blanket, it usually burns off by mid morning.

This club is called Sheldrake Yacht Club. Though it is a registered "Yacht Club" founded in 1907, it really is more of a "sailing club" than a "yacht club," if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I think we'll try to head up to Lake Huron in July. Won't have any particular destination, just head north for a bit and then head back home for a bit. Might try an overnight sail.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
How is this any different to the Rocna anchor "buy an ad " debate ?

·
Vagabond in Training
248 Posts
We'll be in the Gulf and San Juan Islands for the month of January but I guess that doesn't count as summer up here in the PWN (!).

We are thinking about taking 5-6 weeks to head to Desolation Sound this summer - we are based in Sidney, BC.

Congratulations to Sequiter!

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
I am looking at spending some time exploring my little section of the sailing world.

I sail out of the Central Chesapeake Bay and love the area. I am planning on making a few short 3-4 day trips and maybe if I can convince the admiral a 10 day trip this coming summer. I have toyed with the idea of making a Bahamas trip next winter, but that still seems a ways off logistically, as I would either require a month on the ICW or buying a big truck and trailer to haul Aeolus II down to FL. So, for now I will confine my day dreaming to more local waters. I just received my semi-annual boat registration papers so first things first I need to write that whopping $25 check to the State and get my 2009-2010 stickers.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dan,

Regards
Your best bet is September, (less crowds too) but since there are kids involved, I guess you need to go in July or August. I was there last year, along with Marthas Vineyard and Chatham. It is always a good time. Try to avoid peak holiday weekends for Natucket and MV. You might want to reserve a mooring in advance for Nantucket.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Who here is pushing a product they manufacture???
How is this any different to the Rocna anchor "buy an ad " debate ?

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Don't know for sure because he never posted again, but if I had to guess I think he misinterpreted the thread as me trying to "sell" people to come on a summer cruise, as if it were an event like the Bermuda rally.
Well if I did and I'm wrong then I apologise but it did seem to me that you were spruiking the rally which is a commercial enterprise is it not ?

I think it has to be taken in context of the "craig buy an ad thread" which is now so old it smells.

Personally I don't give a rats bottom if you were spruiking btw. It was an apparent double standard that irked me.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Well if I did and I'm wrong then I apologise but it did seem to me that you were spruiking the rally which is a commercial enterprise is it not ?

I think it has to be taken in context of the "craig buy an ad thread" which is now so old it smells.

Personally I don't give a rats bottom if you were spruiking btw. It was an apparent double standard that irked me.
TD,

I understand the point your are making, but I believe there is a distinction in this case. My recollection was that the BCR was a paid advertiser with SailNet. A quick search pulled up this thread:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising/40659-bermuda-cruising-rally.html

I expect some additional leeway is granted with paid advertisers, although Admin has the final say.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For Vasco. You're not pissing me off. While everyone else is sailing I'm elsewhere but in...let's see, in 18 days I'm back to Nassau to see AEGEA. Then, after about three months we'll bring her back to the US for some much needed maintenance. We have had her there for the last two years and, in the fall, will come back again.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts