SailNet Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well if I did and I'm wrong then I apologise but it did seem to me that you were spruiking the rally which is a commercial enterprise is it not ?

I think it has to be taken in context of the "craig buy an ad thread" which is now so old it smells.

Personally I don't give a rats bottom if you were spruiking btw. It was an apparent double standard that irked me.
I'm not quite sure what "spruiking" is, but if I was doing it I hope it's fun. :)

I was not promoting the Bermuda rally at all. I'm on my local club's annual cruise committee (don't ask how I ended up there). We're having a cruise to Nantucket, and I thought others here might be interested. It's free, I get no benefit, it has no connection to BCR, and I was thinking only that it might be a good way for a few Sailnetters to get together live and on the water. In fact, the post wasn't really even about the club cruise specifically. I was bored, so I posted the question about what others are doing for this coming summer, and I started by posting what I'm doing (the club cruise). The only connection the post has with the BCR is that I was the poster.

JRP, we did advertise last year, and are in the process of trying to do so now, and a banner hopefully should be appearing somewhere shortly.

I'm a fairly regular poster on a variety of topics, so it's not like I'm using this site as a promotional tool or anything. I've actually gone to great lengths to ensure that I don't misstep with forum rules (to which certain mods can attest), so if my post about a club cruise offended anyone, my apologies. Certainly wasn't my intention.

I hope everyone is managing OK in the snow (if you're unfortunate enough to be in such an area). I'm heading to the boat in an hour or so to see how she fared.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I'm not quite sure what "spruiking" is, but if I was doing it I hope it's fun. :)
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>spruik [ sprook ] (past and past participle spruiked, present participle spruik·ing, 3rd person present singular spruiks)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ResultBody">

intransitive verb </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ResultBodyBlack">Definition:</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> </tr> <tr> <td>Australia promote: to promote goods, services, or a cause by addressing people in a public place ( humorous )

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>[Early 20th century. Origin ?]</td></tr></tbody></table>
As I said last post it really is of no great concern to me except that I did see it as something of a double standard. I saw the link to BCR and on that site saw that you are part of that site. That BCR had advertised was something I was unaware of.

As I said, if I got the wrong end of the stick I apologise.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
We don't plan on totally calling it quits for the winter, and as soon as the Polar Front retreats to where it's supposed to be, we'll be out practicing for next cruising season. Our goal is to make a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island (though we have a ways to go before we're ready for a trip of that scale).

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Sounds like it is all sorted out now...but I will just chime in and say that DG has bent over backwards trying not to do anything against forum rules and has PM'd me several times to clear a post before posting...all while TRYING to get sailnet to take his ad money (another story!).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts