SailNet Community banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,208 Posts
What a great time we had! The food was superb, the weather pretty good, the site is perfect, and the company was what its all about. Thanks D&D for being such great host and another successful and fun rendezvous at MYC.

I wish we had more time to meet and chat with some of the first time attendees, I'm not great at mingling I guess, next year I suppose. We missed seeing Wayne & Sally but enjoyed getting the chance to visit with many of you again.

Being boat-less this season, we were so appreciative and humbled by all the sailing invitations. I'm really looking foreword to a sail with chef2sail this weekend and I'm hoping to learn a lot from the old geezer ;)

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Sailing is like cooking, once you learn the basics you can spend your life trying to perfect your skills.
Sailing is like cooking, there are opportunities for cuts, bruises, and burns. Sometimes there is yelling.

:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
A great chance to share ideas and great food!!

Donna and Dave, you put together a GREAT Party!! Thank you for hosting this fun get together!! Really a treat to see folks in person. We enjoyed spending time with so many...Jaye and Dan, Joe and Mary, got to finally meet Denise! Got to hand out some of my new boat cards. Also Dave, you make a great burger!! Moist, juicy, served hot!! Terrific! Plus the other foods were delish as well. The tables were groaning under the load.

We had never been to Rock Creek by boat and that was a fun time going past those big rocks...we just don't see that type of thing very often on Bay waters.

We were aware of the Bay Swim...but we keep our radio on scan to catch all the goings on. We felt that the messaging was changable...the CG seemed to instruct the bridge area was closed to boat traffic but then they would tell some boats to "stand by", as if the instructions had changed. Then there was the boat that got through under the wire since he was on the Eastern side. Then they started to open the Western openings as the swimmers progressed.

By scan on the radio we could hear most of the conversations. It also gave us the chance to listen to the Coast Guard orchestrate the rescue of an ill seaman off the vessel "Sea Brave". The captain had a heavy accent and communication was not so clear. Finally the Maryland Police sent two helicopters...one to deploy a person to help with the basket drop to the ships hold cover and deploy the patient back to the pickup copter for transport. We were pretty glued to that drama.

We got back to Lankford Bay Marina safe and secure and were treated to a wild storm. Hope all were in safe harbor by then. It was a wonderful memorable weekend. Thanks for letting us come and enjoy the group.

Leslie and Clayton
s/v Tango, CR 34
Lankford Bay Marina, Chester River

·
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Ha I doubt I will show my whole hand to you Shaun.....that way I can continue to keep passing you>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ********{GRIN}}}}}}

Will be great to have you come sailing and show me your technique

Old Geezer....bah humbug

Dave

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Dave Donna you did a wonderful job for the gang! I wish we'd had more time to hang out. It was fun meeting everyone!

·
Registered
941 Posts
We're sorry we missed it! Sounds like it was a great time once again. We spent the weekend bouncing around Newport after sailing there from Baltimore on a friend's boat last week - our first ocean sail!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Found...dinghy with motor Saturday mid bay off Pt. Lookout/mouth of Potomac after severe squall.
Recovered by Dave, SV Liberty...can be contacted
on cruisers forum.
Apologies...thought this might reach the most cb sailors.
Happy you had a successful rondevous.
Hugo

·
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
4arch, you were missed...Newport was where we ended up for 3 days our last summers annual trip to LI Sound and New England. We had a blast up there.

Youll have to blog about your first offshore experience...start a new thread and tell us where you went....how you felt about being offshore for the first time etc. Hope to see you guys soon saiilng out on the bay. We can swap tall tales

Dave

·
Sailor
923 Posts
Nice pictures Joe. Thanks! You managed to get both myself and my wife at our best and that's hard to do. Thanks again to Dave for organizing and being the perfect host, even coming out to say hi in the morning. Did you get caught in that storm out in the River? To all, look for Mandolin out on the Bay and be sure to say hello!

·
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Donna and I had a great time with everyone. We managed to get a good day in sailing as we had guests after crusing the river for a few tacks and weather the first T storm...not a bad one we just put our connector piece in between the dodger and bimini and did lazy circles till it passed in 15 minutes. We then sailed up to Inner Harbor and back and docked her just as the second major major T storm blew in. Wrd found put later someone got struck by lightening in Fort Smallwood.

We will look for Mandolin now...(we have seen you before). feel free to drop in on anytime.

Dave

161 - 173 of 173 Posts