SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its that time of year on the Chesapeake where we start to reflect on our sailing season...as the winter seems to be closing in fast I don't see to many more occasions for us to get out sailing, hopefully this weekend and a couple during December if we get lucky.

This was a good year for us all in all. The season started with some shakedown cruises and some day sails here and there. Taking some friends out and enjoying the Spring weather

My friend and colleague Tim, the Executive Chef at Army Navy Country Club in Arlington, his wife and new baby boy. He is eager to get his own boat soon!

The bay in B&W

My sweet Olivia

My sweet Elizabeth enjoying a power nap :)

Sunsets never get old do they

She is 10 now, where does the time go?

Cool pic I think?

Tethered in on the jackline riding the rail...

Who knows what I am doing here, probably texting and sailing! :eek:

On Thursday, July 3rd we departed for Worton Creek then through the C&D and down the Delaware...

Wet start as we catch the tail end of Hurricane Arthur

Entering the C&D from the Chesapeake

Some rope work while we motor on through

First stop, Reedy Island

So maybe you shouldn't anchor just south of the cable lines as suggested to me, this is what we saw just before dusk around low tide, we promptly moved North a ways. Reedy offers little protection IMO, then to find this

Early morning sunrise headed to Cape May

We had a great sail almost the entire way...

Atlantic Highlands, NJ - Thank you JIM, Tempest to save the day...
Great little town, found a wonderful Italian Cafe here

Decided to go into New York via High Speed Ferry from the highlands to visit one of my former students whom is working at Cafe Boulud, soon to be promoted to Sous Chef I hope...we had an awesome lunch. She didn't know we were coming...well neither did we until we had a sail to repair, that's where Tempest comes in ;) I already feel bad for the boys who date my girls someday, their appreciation for food is impressive to say the least, proud papa :D

The girls first course at the cafe...Tuna

My wife's main course, plus they sent her two more complimentary plates a wonderful ravioli dish and molten cake for dessert, nice when you have friends in the food world

My first course, Haricot Verts with shaved Torchon of Foie Gras! It was perfect

WTH...

The boss

Sandy Hook Horseshoe Crab ;)

Motoring under the Verrazano Bridge

Headed towards the Battery for the run up the East River

There she stands

Along the river...neat, about a half hour from Hell Gate

Max speed through the East River...

Our weekend home on LI :D

Overcast leaving NY Harbor...

Do lighthouses ever get old? ;)

Elizabeth :)

Olivia :)

Another beautiful boat among another beautiful sunset on LIS

Saw this in Sag Harbor, if you are able to look closely...its made from hundreds of tiny pictures of various thongs! LOL

Block Island, RI

Feeling crabby...

Paella for dinner after a trip into town for some fresh seafood...

Sisters always...some new beach wear from town...

Chilly day on the Sound, all tethered in...

You cant tell from this picture but this is a crazy storm approaching us from the SW between NY harbor and Sandy Hook...the lighting was intense...all fared well

I was ready to be pelted while the crew was down below...stop laughing...

Somewhere off the Jersey coast...

Fantastic sunset in Atlantic City...

Great sail to Cape May

Not always easy to get up when you're on vacation, even for the kids :)

Two days in Cape May...

Now that's a lobster!

and a little smaller...

Back in the Chesapeake, August sailing this year was pretty good, not the usual no wind high humidity days but actually had some wind!

Headed up to see the Blue Angels with some friends to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Star Spangled Banner in Baltimore, my good friends Chris and his son Alex

All the kids on the rail...

Alex and his Mom Sandi

Visit from the Coast Guard Auxiliary, passed out some gift bags since all the kids had on their PFDs, kids got a big kick out of it...

The Pride of Baltimore weaving its way through the anchorage just before the Blue Angels start...

At the end of "Ego Alley" in Annapolis where we met up with Josrulz and his family

Some fall sailing to Fairlee Creek on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake

Majestic as always...

Geese headed South...?

They never have any fun together...

Storm approaching Still Pond Creek where we met up with Rick/TakeFive and his lovely wife

Good wash down :)

Recent night sail with some friends after a late class...moonlight night all to ourselves, steady 10 knots or so, just about perfect

The Great Blue Heron...

Shhhhh...

Sunset on Rock Creek/MYC

Not bad SOG, I think we had about 1/2 knot of current with us

Tied up to the bulkhead in Fells Point for a weekend just with the Admiral and I, kids at the G Parents, great meal at Roys then awesome breakfast at Ms Shirleys off Pratt.

In front of McCormick and Schmicks

A great year to say the least among a little drama here and there! We put a lot into out boat, Windgeist, in the last two years. It all started with a new Beta 38 engine last Spring, then this year a new Isotherm fridge/freezer, installed a chart plotter (thanks Dave/Auspicious for your help), new L16 Trojan batteries (thanks Mainesail for your help), rebuilt Edson Pedestal with new powder coating and re-furbed compass...and many more little things.

Many new friends made, new destinations seen, new destinations await...a few more this year, many more next year...let the planning begin. If all goes as planned, it will be bittersweet as we plan to leave Maryland Yacht Club for a home where our family and boat are welcome and comfortable. In hindsight we may have done things differently this year, but all in all it has been one of the best sailing seasons we have ever had. It only drives us to do more. Next years trip to points North we want to sail straight from Cape May to Block or Marthas Vineyard. The crew is ready!!! We will plan to explore more of LIS and possibly leave the boat up there for a month or so, then sail it back later in August or September.

Some highlights...

- of course our trip to Block Island via NYC and LIS
- a three day guys trip to St Michaels and Oxford, saw a waterspout :eek: and had some great guy time!
- Meeting and dining with Jimmy Cornell along with Dave/Auspicious and Jon Eisberg after the Annapolis Boat show.
- most of all...weekend after weekend with my wonderful family anchored out in some creek on the bay! I am a lucky man, something I do not take for granted for one second...every day I look at my kids in awe. Like many...weekends sailing is our escape from the crazy work week, music lessons, gymnastics classes, homework, emails, commute to work, among many other things :hammer

Fair winds to all, a few more weeks left this year...and on to 2015 :D:D:D

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Out here in California we don't have sailing seasons as we sail year round. I would have to say it looked like your family had a great time and those will be the greatest memories for all. I hope your winter is short and your next "season" is long and warm.

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Great pics, Shawn... Those girls of yours - all 3 of them - are absolutely adorable, you are a lucky man, indeed... :)

Yup, that dinner with Jimmy, Dave, and you and your respective better halves was definitely one of the highlights of my past year, as well... Thanks again for your part in putting that together...

:))

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
awesome man! thanks for the pics and again the paella pic! I remember that

enjoy your family over the winter you are indeed a lucky man

peace

·
Half Man, Half Amazing
20 Posts
Thanks for posting. This is exactly why I am looking to getting my family into sailing. The opportunity to get away from the craziness of life and out onto the water. I'll be showing this to the wife in hopes that is helps in the "let's buy a boat" argument. I'm going to eventually wear her down.

By the way, the north fork of Long Island is really nice and has some pretty cool places to visit and sites to see. In particular, I would suggest a tour of the wine vineyards. It would make for a good way to get out and stretch the legs, and you have the added bonus of some pretty good wines.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I'll be showing this to the wife in hopes that is helps in the "let's buy a boat" argument. I'm going to eventually wear her down.
If you have to "wear her down", you might want to reconsider your foray into boat ownership. It really loses it's charm and allure when it becomes a bone of contention between you and your spouse.

I fired my spouse. Now there's harmony in my house, and I enjoy my sailing in peace. That solution isn't for everyone though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Lived in Va Beach while in the Navy at Oceana... that was before my sailing days, but I remember the bay. Thanks for sharing. Beatiful family! ;)

Dave

·
Half Man, Half Amazing
20 Posts
Bubblehead, "wearing her down" is probably a little harsh. She is very much on board with us going sailing. She just wants a larger house in a better school district before we buy a boat. Since we live on Long Island, that all translates to lots and lots of money. However, it gives me some fairly concrete goals professionally to focus on. Just gotta keep my head down and work hard. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The Cheasapeake was one of my favorite sailing places to live. But, I hated the short boating season (short for me, anyway because I can't do the frostbite sailing thing). :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great pictures and family adventure. I wish I could have done it when my kids were that age. You may want to decide on your next trip and have them plan it all out with you during the winter. For me it is time to move my boat tomorrow from Canton to Oak Harbor in Pasadena and wrap it up.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Tell Ken, JB, and Chris I say hi...

Thanks for the kind comments, i added a few more i found on my phone.

Its a chilly morning here, headed east today...should get a warm spell tomorrow. Highs in the low 50s IIRCC

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Shawn,

Our little impromptu raft-up was one of the top highlights of a wonderful summer. Your girls are incredible, and will grow up with incredible memories of your precious family time on the boat. I have those childhood memories from the few years our family had a boat, and my only wish is that we had done it for longer as a child, and started sooner when my kids were young. You're on a great path with them!

I hope we can do something together again next year.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind comments. We had another wonderful sail this past weekend. Short but fast sail to Rock Hall...cold but great wind. Sunday was much less exciting but still a wonderful sail, and slightly warmer.

I was hoping you all would enjoy the post, it is fun for me to reflect on the year and share...especially for those with young kids who are looking to sail as a family. It is some of the best times we have together!

If it inspired one person/family I am thrilled!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.