SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thus far there have been no concrete plans for a 2014 Chesapeake Bay Sailnet Rendezvous. Sure would like to put that on my calendar, and while it's difficult to believe, summer is just not that far away.

If Dave (Chef To Sail) doesn't host it again at Maryland Yacht Club, I was thinking about the newly created island that has recently become a popular party spot in the bay's upper reaches near the southern end of the Havre de Grace channel at the old Fishing Battery Light. Dredging spoils from a couple years ago were deposited around the old island, which was a couple acres at best, creating a new island that is 20 to 30 acres. The water is relatively deep close to shore, and the island would make a great place for a rendezvous if Dave decides to let someone else take the reigns this summer.

Unfortunately, the marina where I'm at has no transient slips, or I would propose this to the marina owners and I'm confident they would go for it.

Just thought I would toss this option into the hat to see what you folks thought.

Gary :cool:

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
That new location would be good for those of us to the north that don't have a nearby rendezvous.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
830 Posts
We pulled up to that island **)I think?) late this past season. All sorts of signage regarding non trespass and protected grounds. Unless i'm mistaken!?!? ;) Just down and out from Sand Island? Gettin' past Carpenter's Point is a doozy, then behind the Flats..oh my! Short water thereabouts

Close enuff for me tashow up, too. Set a date//time .. SeemsI miss allathe meet-ups as most are beyond my (current) range. Gonna rectify that soon!
Best,
Paul

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I went through that channel for the first time last August. I did not realize that the island was "new." It sure was popular - dozens and dozens of boats anchored around there.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The island does not appear to be connected to land and for this to be a rendezvous truly accessible to all Sailnet members on the Chesapeake it needs to be car accessible and not just an anchoring/rafting event, especially if it is to be in the northern bay.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure that those landlubbers can hitch a ride to the island. I would be more than willing to transport up to 6 passengers on my boat if the need arises.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I'm sure that those landlubbers can hitch a ride to the island. I would be more than willing to transport up to 6 passengers on my boat if the need arises.

That sounds like it could get complicated.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I believe we're talking about two different islands. The one that Gary originally mentioned is new within the last year or two and located near Havre de Grace. Not Harte-Miller which is farther south.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I believe you are referring to Hart/Miller Island which has been restored and enlarged using dredging material and is now a park. Chuck
Hart-Miller is 20 Nm to the SE.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
We always tried to insure that people the maximum number of people would attend so we took the barriers away of having to have your boat there, by having it happen on land or by boat so someone from a greater distance away could drive to the event. Many more people came that way, from farther away and would attend even if the weather threatened.

Unfortunatly due to our busy schedule well would be glad if someone else took the lead in organizing this. We have enjoyed being initiators and the host of this tradition the last 5 years and helping bring other sailors together. We met many great people and made many sailing friends.

We also have decided that their are other sailing organizations which we find ourselves alligned with which match our sailing needs other than Sailnet, especially the commercilization way it has turned. No value judgement meant, just a difference in philosphies. Thats why we dont post as much

We felt it is now time for others who criticised how we handled the event or had suggestions to step up to the plate.

We of course will probably come whereever the event it is held. Especially to see our Sailnet friends. Good luck and count me in wherever it winds up.

Dave

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
"We also have decided that their are other sailing organizations which we find ourselves alligned with which match our sailing needs other than Sailnet, especially the commercilization way it has turned."

Agreed...very disappointed as to the amount of commercials being presented..to a point that my one computer has slowed considerably while trying to load..

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I get your frustration with the ads but let's keep the focus of this thread on Gary's original topic.

Feel free to voice your displeasure in the SailNet Technical forum. The admins read it and have responded to the complaints about audio ads.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am OK for any sailnet rendezvous location one day sail from the C&D in June. Rock Hall?

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,348 Posts
First, I would like to thanks Dave & Donna for hosting this event for the past several years, 6 if I am not mistaken.

Gary, I'm not sold on an island being a good spot for this event, and so far North. That said...I have no intention of stepping up to be the host, so whatever is decided we will try to make it and will enjoy seeing whoever shows.

Cheers...now back to snow related activities

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Up near the C&D canal would be great. I may even be able to sail there.

(I agree with the land thing.)

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
What about Annapolis? Anchoring, moorings, dockage and parking are available. Not much in the way of picnicking downtown but there is a park up Spa Creek. And just a few watering holes scattered around.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts