SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see the new Marlow-Hunter 31 at the boat show in Annapolis? I saw so info in an email but it is still very limited.

Interested in price and thoughts of someone that has seen it in person...

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw it in Annapolis. The show stopper for me was the standing height (or lack there of) in the saloon. I'm not quite 6 ft tall and I could not comfortably stand inside. In comparison, Catalina 315 has plenty of standing room for me. I thought the layout was nice for a coastal cruiser. The beam is really really wide. On the West Coast the base price is $132,900 commissioned. You can easily add another $20K in equipment/options... I personally prefer Catalina 315 over the Hunter 31.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The main thing I observed in the 2015 Hunter 31 was the serious lack of hand holds. To begin with, the handrail for the steps into the cabin ends at the 2nd to the last step which leaves you stepping off the last step without anything to hold onto. For a shorter person, like me it's a pretty long step, too. At the bottom of the steps is a really nice wide open area. Looks great - as long as the boat isn't moving. Moving would be a different story considering it's more than an arms length to grab onto something to prevent a fall. I pointed out to my hubby how easy it would be for me to fall just trying to walk from the steps to the galley or the nav table because of the lack of anything to hold onto. He looked around and agreed it would be easy for him to take a tumble in a rough sea. And he's over 6 ft tall. Several other people heard my comments and agreed with me, too. The positive side is when we had the opportunity to talk to Mr. Marlow we mentioned it to him, and he seemed to appreciate the observation, so I think it might be something they'll rectify in the near future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the head height info. I'm 6'2 so I would assume it would be a real issue. I guess the jeanneau 349 is still top of my list.
We scratched the Hunter 31 off our list because of the standing height immediately after seeing it. I like the Jeanneau SO349, but the new Beneteau Oceanis 35 is also a very nice boat. If interior space is high on your list, definitely take a look at the Oceanis. The aft birth in the 2 cabin versions is much larger in the Oceanis 35 compared to the SO349. With your height, this could be an important factor. I was surprised how small the aft cabin was in the 2 cabin SO349.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts