SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 1896 Posts

·
美國佬
621 Posts
I took my tarp off because I thought it would get torn apart in the high winds they were predicting and also because it's hard to get around the side decks with the tarp tied to the toerails. Otherwise, a tarp would have worked great to keep the snow from entirely filling the cockpit. We also got lucky in this storm in that the water wasn't blown out of the river, so I was able to get on board this afternoon and shovel it out. I found a hatchboard did a much better job than the trench-tool-sized shovel I brought.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,194 Posts
Coastal Flood Advisory is accurate, tide was about 2 feet above normal. Creeks are frozen over now and ice eaters at work. The Nor Easter didn't affect me much, my slip is well protected from everything except WNW wind... which last weekends Gale was apparent with the three to four days of WNW wind in the 30 - 40 knots and gust to 50... that was rather unpleasant after day three ;)

The recent snow storm "Jonas" left us with a all time record snowfall for Maryland of 29"+... fortunately the blizzard conditions blew most all the snow off the docks but did create some crazy drifs... the Patapsco River Saturday look as ruff as I have ever seen it from MYC clubhouse... pretty nice watching from the warmth of the fireplace and cozy clubhouse Saturday... glad I was not out on the water! ;)

How many days until Spring?

·
Rocket Scientist
66 Posts
We just renewed our lease at Watergate Pointe (formally Watergate Village) and it only went up by $100 so they are still one of the best deals in Eastport/Annapolis. :)

Watergate Village is now Watergate Pointe. The property sold two years ago and the new owners have been making a number of upgrades. I have not walked the docks in a while so can't speak to how things are going.

I kept Auspicious at Watergate for about three years.

You must park on the street (parking lots are reserved for apartment residents). Liveaboards are not permitted although there are a few people who are aboard their boats a lot. *grin* No cable TV. No WiFi although Annapolis Wireless is okay; tech support is only available 9 - 5 weekdays. AT&T and Verizon were both spotty on the boats last I checked although fine up the hill.

The Annapolis City Harbormaster lives at Watergate. He is a great guy in my opinion.

We moved for reasons that had nothing to do with Watergate. I'd go back and recommend it highly to others.

·
11,751 Posts
If you keep your boat at White Rocks you'll get the crap kicked out of you. Wind funnels down the creek right at it.
We are at Maryland Yacht Club, protected and often see boats in WR bounced around and with torn sails in some storms.

Plus you have to deal with the damn restaurant which can be annoying. Try Oak Harbor or Fairview or us on Rock Creek. BTW Bowleys is exposed also

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you keep your boat at White Rocks you'll get the crap kicked out of you. Wind funnels down the creek right at it.
We are at Maryland Yacht Club, protected and often see boats in WR bounced around and with torn sails in some storms.

Plus you have to deal with the damn restaurant which can be annoying. Try Oak Harbor or Fairview or us on Rock Creek. BTW Bowleys is exposed also
I've definitely gotten the impression that absolutely no one has anything good to say about White Rocks. I can take the not so subtle hint and avoid the place that might trash a boat. The other three all have possibilities which I have now researched. I appreciate the feedback.

We are still waiting for the repair to be finished on the boat so at some point we can finish the survey and find out if this is ever going to happen. My nerves are twanging!

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,194 Posts
I know White Rocks had many boats damaged from last weekends blizzard, the NE winds were blowing right up the creek aimed directly at WR... while folks at MYC, Fairview, and Oak Harbor barely felt the 50+ mph winds.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,194 Posts
I was bored yesterday so I went to the Baltimore Boat Show... wow... wow... it was really bad. I didn't expect many sailboats, but not one? Not even a sailing dingy. Why call it a boat show, call it the Baltimore Fishing and Trailer Boat Show. What a waste of $16. Did see a nice booth for MYC, that and the custom knife booth were the only interesting things to see. I will never go again. Few years ago they at least had a couple keel boats there, they didn't even have a Hobie! Ugh

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Shawn, that show fell apart many years ago when Ray Nichols sold it. That pretty much ended anything to do with sailboats. I can clearly remember the days when the show was in the 5th Regiment Armory and it was 50 percent sailboats. Same was true for the Washington Boat Show. Both are now powerboat shows, and mainly trailerable boats to boot.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Just sit on the bow and chop your way to soft water
I did that with an anchor when I was young to reach open water in the lower Susquehanna River where yellow per were schooled. Dumbest damned thing I ever did on a boat. One slip and I would have been dead in 20 minutes. And, when we returned 3 hours later, we couldn't find the opening, which I assume quickly froze over and had to use the anchor to get back into the launch ramp area again.

Wait for warmer weather, which will be a bit later this week.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Absolutely no way I could chop through this. It's basically all the snow that landed in the water, melted and re-froze.
I could safely stand on it and walk across the cove.

As of yesterday afternoon, there were large puddles of liquid on the sheet so if the warm weather holds for a couple of days, it *may* rot enough to let me out by the weekend.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Apparently there's a new ID process that requires boats registered in Md now requires a drivers license to be on file for processing boat registration that may slow down new/renewal for the time being...

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
I renewed last year but I understand that MD now requires you to list your fishing license number to renew your boat registration. Even if you only had one for one year ten years ago. You need to have that number on the renewal.

61 - 80 of 1896 Posts