SailNet Community banner

1781 - 1800 of 1896 Posts

·
11,758 Posts
Headed to Holmstead, Fla in the AM to catch the last NASCAR race hoping to see JJ win his seventh. Then over to our place in Sanibel to Check on it and hang out till after Thanksgiving.

Looks like we beat the wind and cold front coming through this weekend.

Next weekend the sails come off and the coushions come home for a refresh. Winterizing looks probable. New winter canvas cover Donna made is down there already. Hate to see the season end but have some sailing to look forward to the next two months .
Headed back to the hotel room. Race was awesome. Our guy won his 7th championship. We got to meet him before the race in the pits and saw an amazing piece of history.

Tomorrow off to Sanibel for 4 days and at least a days sail with one of our friends who has a Catalina 42 in Naples. Temperature is 69. Heard back home they had flurries and 40 knot plus winds.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
The wind was clocked at 66 MPH at my house yesterday afternoon when the cold front blasted through, temperatures 20 degrees in a matter of minutes, and we had some monster trees topple behind our home. Fortunately, they were far enough from my house so there was no chance of damage. I'll call my neighbor and he will use them for firewood.

Have fun in Sanibel, Dave - great fishing there as well.

Gary :cool:

·
美國佬
621 Posts
It's at least 2-3 feet at our pier, 8 miles up the Severn. I've got several lines I'm going to have to replace due to chafe once the boat gets higher.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,199 Posts
Didn't sail this past weekend and glad I chose not to... even though I enjoy challenging my skills, 50+ gust... cold and wet... some boat projects seemed more relaxing.

Washed all the cushions, cleaned then polished all the interior teak. New shore power outlets and rewired the charger/117 V wiring.
Took the headsail down and will take it in for a few adjustments and some minor cleaning. I have three other heqdsails I can hoist for the rest of the year, a storm sail, 100, and a 150.

Next project, proper insulation and headliner. After that, light sand then polish and seal the sole.

Hopefully a few more outings on the bay this year!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm going to winterize the fresh water and black water systems no later than this weekend. I'll keep a jug of pink stuff onboard for the engine.
I took care of those two items last weekend. Still hoping for a few mild days for some sailing and we're scheduled for the Baltimore Parade of Lights so the motor won't get it's pink treatment just yet...unless an extended cold snap is coming. it only takes about 15 minutes and a jug and a half of the pink to winterize the raw water side of the FWC engine.

·
Dakota Lee
97 Posts
I used the pink stuff (rated to below -50 F) on my fresh water systems and had put some reclaimed stuff in the freezer to check out if it was still good...it was not as evident by it freezing to a slush. Then for the heck of it I put a new gallon of the pink stuff in the freezer and it froze to a slush also!

While I still used the pink stuff for my water and waste system, I used regular antifreeze for my engine, once I was on the hard, and captured what was blown out my exhaust with a bucket.

Anyone know the deal with the pink stuff (purchased at Home Depot and Walmart) and if the freezing to slush is normal or if there are any issues?

V/r

Pete

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Peter,

My understanding is that freezing to a slush is normal for the pink stuff, and that it doesn't expand like water until you get to that -50F point.
West Marine sells a purple anti-freeze rated for even lower temperatures.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
My understanding is the pink stuff will still freeze, or even a slush like you mention, but like Ajax mentioned, it won't expand like it will with water. But if any water is mixed in with the pink, then the freeze rating would be higher than the rated -50F, so you want to make sure it's not diluted in your systems.

·
Dakota Lee
97 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping that it was something like that but it was still a bit disconcerting to see the solution turn to slush. The stuff I threw out was likely still good given that it never froze either but I still wasn't willing to trust the engine to it and so I used undiluted antifreeze to winterize the raw water cooler and such. I guess the pink stuff is fine here in Virginia/Maryland but I will certainly look into the "purple" stuff for winterization efforts in South Dakota...it actually gets to -50 degrees F there!

V/r

Pete

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I guess the pink stuff is fine here in Virginia/Maryland but I will certainly look into the "purple" stuff for winterization efforts in South Dakota...it actually gets to -50 degrees F there!

V/r

Pete
You bet it colds out there!! When I was stationed in Rapid City,SD had to but in an engine block heater in the car if I was going to be able the start after sitting for a couple days in that weather...

·
11,758 Posts

·
11,758 Posts
Back from Sanibel Florida

Food is all cooking
We are having 23 people over. Kids, spouses, friends, sailing friends, Donna mom.

We do a fairly straight forward dinner at 1 PM

Sage/ Thyme Black pepper rubbed bird ( 2 today) cooked slow at 300 degrees.
Three types of stuffing: traditional cornbread, oyster, and and apple, date, almond stuffing
Fresh made cranberry relish with pineapple pieces
Red skinned mashed potatoes
Candied Sweet Potatoes with Vermont maple syrup and marshmallows
Haricot Verte
Oranges glazed carrots
Sauerkraut with apples ( my wife's tradition) cooked on the grill burner outside so as not to ruin the smells inside

Then at 5 we have Italian Food
Homemade manicotti
Homemade Lasagna

Desserts include
Homemade sweet potato pie
Homemade mince pie
Pumpkin chocolate chip cheesecake
My special cinnamon raisin white chocolate bread pudding with vanilla bourbon sauce
Someone is brining Tiaramisu and Italian grain pie

This is a major feast which we love hosting it every year. It is one reason we will never give up our house. The ability to have big gatherings and get our families together. It's a fun day. And a thankful one
we feel blessed we have so much.

Yesterday many arrived here to stay overnight. We as we do every year went to the Baltimore Women's Shelter to help with dinner there.

Everyone have a great turkey day. Remember those who are less fortunate.

1781 - 1800 of 1896 Posts