SailNet Community banner

181 - 200 of 1316 Posts

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I've seen this weekends forecase show snow on Sunday morning, then no snow.... I just want it to be warm again so I can get back to my major boat projects.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Dan, grab that good lookin gal you're married to, put the pedal to the metal and head to Key West for a long weekend. 81 degrees there today.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Pffft... I've had to bundle up in August.

Governor's Cup a few years ago. It was an abnormally cool summer and the nighttime temp was 69F degrees.
Sideways driven rain and wind in the 20's all friggin' night long sent everyone into stage 1 hypothermia. We all had full foulies but not much in the way of under layers. Eventually, we all got damp and chilled under the foulies.

Even I finally succumbed not long after rounding Point Lookout and I handed the tiller over to crew. I crashed hard belowdecks for about an hour before I found some dry, spare clothing and was back on deck to finish the race.

My point: Hypothermia never sleeps, not even in the summer so keep some warmer clothing onboard than you expect you'd ever need. Those vacuum bags work great to keep them dry and compressed so they don't hog a lot of locker space.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Sideways driven rain and wind in the 20's all friggin' night long sent everyone into stage 1 hypothermia. We all had full foulies but not much in the way of under layers. Eventually, we all got damp and chilled under the foulies.
And people make fun of me for packing my long underwear in summer.

I bet Rich won't.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
The older I get, the colder I get. I consider any temperature lower than my age the dead of winter. I have a down comforter on the boat and even crawl under it during mid summer. :)

All the best,

·
Registered
415 Posts
Alright, who's going to be around on Saturday or Sunday afternoon/early evening in the Annapolis area? How about a little pre-spring rendezvous since Mother Nature is messing with us and won't let actual spring get started?

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Figures you'd ask. I'll be down in Solomon's celebrating my spousal-unit's birthday.
She celebrates her birthday like Imelda Marcos so I'll be down there all day.

·
12,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Figures you'd ask. I'll be down in Solomon's celebrating my spousal-unit's birthday.
She celebrates her birthday like Imelda Marcos so I'll be down there all day.
So you bought her 20 pairs of shoes?

Reactions: willyd

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
It's time to move past this far too late winter blast and start warming up.

The boat is READY. I do have a NMEA cable I want to wire up so that I'll have AIS on the chartplotter, but hardly a mission-limiting factor. Come on, already!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Yesterday, I had a guy come to clear the driveway of ice and snow (mainly ice) and it took him 2 hours with a Bobcat. Haven't been able to leave the house since the snow hit and I hope the boat fared better than my driveway. Almost afraid to look at it.

I also have a nmea cable to install for AIS to the plotter, but it's a 2000 and just plugs in at both ends. Though I will have to drill a hole through the cockpit deck to fish the cable to the plotter. Not a big deal, though.

181 - 200 of 1316 Posts