SailNet Community banner

401 - 420 of 1316 Posts

·
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Visit the boat and take a spool of twine and do an actual measurement. With the boom extended as you would have on a DDW run. Dont leave yourself short.

Figure out which line you want to go with i.e. New England, Sampson etc.

After that I would go online and compare prices, you may save a lot with no tax and free shipping from the many websites

Running Rigging - Cruising - OnlineRopes.com

Midrange Sheets - 10mm for Cruising Sailboats | Mauri Pro Sailing

New England Ropes Sta-Set Line | APS

West Marine 40% off today

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-england-ropes--solid-color-sta-set-polyester-yacht-braid--P002_071_001_004?recordNum=2

Reactions: Pendragon35

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Dave, he lives in upstate New York and has to fly space available to Baltimore. With a one day sale at West Marine, that is why he is asking for some help doing a rough calculation.with the sale price, if he buys up to 30% too much, he is still ahead of the game.

·
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
Dave, he lives in upstate New York and has to fly space available to Baltimore. With a one day sale at West Marine, that is why he is asking for some help doing a rough calculation.with the sale price, if he buys up to 30% too much, he is still ahead of the game.
Yes I knew that. Wasn't sure his time frame. If you notice in my post the last site was West Marine, with a 40% off till tonight. He could order today and pick up at the store in Baltimore

I would err on the large length.

·
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Wow, what a change in temps...like a switch got flipped.

Had a great smoked brisket dinner at a local eatery after we loaded Haleakula. Tomorrow we are headed somewhere...lol. But not Annapolis.
Got a couple of great pieces of Tuna for tomorrow nights dinner at anchor. Haven't decided whether we are grilling it or making sushimi- maguro and toro as I got my hands on a Maui onion, garden fresh strawberriestoday as well as a fine bottle of Chinese light brewed soy sauce.

Wegmanns had some outstanding mangos and ripe passion fruit. Last night we made blood orange sorbet with our ice cream maker so tomorrow looks like a tempting dessert with the fruit and sorbet.

Of course we hope for some wind...looks like Soutern component till Sunday but not to strong.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Kind of late in the day, but if the OP hasn't jumped the gun, he might consider waiting to measure his line--it certainly isn't 15/16--and ordering it from Defender at their regular discounted price. The WM Friday promotion has 5/16 New England Ropes VPC Performance Braid (for example) at $1.01/ft vs Defender at $1.10. For 9 cents a foot premium, I'd make sure of the diameter and length.

BTW, be careful to measure the diameter of old, fuzzy line properly and avoid jumping up a size inadvertently--your sheaves won't like that. Don't ask how I know!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
South/southeast wind all day today, at least till it was time for me to head northwest, which the wind switched to when I reached Battery Island and was headed northwest up the channel to the marina. I was intending to stay out for three days, but my damned back went out about 4 p.m., so I headed for the barn and home for some pain meds. Still hurts like a damned toothache.

Great sailing today in the upper bay, winds ranged 8 to 10 steady, with a few minutes of 12 to 15. Got to test my AIS system today - I love it. When the alarm went off and said there was an AIS vessel 1.2 miles away, I zoomed out the GPS and there it was, directly behind me, a huge barge being pushed by a tug toward the Susquehanna River quarries. I had plenty of time to get out of it's way, watched in go past, cracked open a Coors Light and was lovin live till the damned back went to Hell.

Sorry I didn't make it beyond Betterton, Dave, but maybe next trip. I'll bring the pain meds with me on the next one.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
We got too late a start to make it to Chester River anchorages. So we reached across the Bay to Eagle Cove. Dinner, movie, and now bed. Nice breeze kept the anchor rode creaking, but I added chafe protection to stop it. We head back early tomorrow.

·
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Hanging out up the Corsica River off the Chester. Beautiful sail today with 12-15 steady . Was hot on land but perfect on the water. Actually had a jacket on when we were close hauled as the water is still relatively cool. A few more boats out but for the most part we had the Chester to ourselves.

We have the anchorage to ourselves. Great dinner of two types of tuna sashimi with a couple of great dipping sauces. We made some purple Thai rice to go along with it. We brought some saki and plum wine, but I really have never gotten use to it.

Getting ready to have the homemade sorbet with fresh mangos flambeed in brandy over the top. The place is so quiet tonight with only a few circadas / crickets and one loud hoot owl in the distance.

Planning a 10 day trip for our first vacation in June to Cape Charles, Yorktown, Rappahannock, St Mary's possibly with stops in between.

Looks like the second trip in August/ September will be to the LI Sound.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Getting pretty hot already. This past Friday, I worked on the boat and it got to 88 inside the boat by the time I decided to call it a day. I'm far enough along in my fiberglass project, that the heat shouldn't slow my progress TOO much. Still have some more work to do, but it's getting closer to finishing up. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to launch this year.

https://youtu.be/SmnaVVk5_4o

·
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Beautiful sail today. Temps in the the upper 70s steady winds 12-15.
Love the way Haleakula performs with new bottom paint.

Next weekend if it's cool we replace the mascerator with the exact same model. They have a finite life before they leak it seems. Should take long, but whenever you do a boat project it's like unpeeling an onion, with multiple layers of potential issues where "Murphy" reveals himself.

Hopefully it goes auickly

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
Same wind here for 4 days, Great!! 15-18 steady SW saw 7.6 kts with someone else at the wheel on a broad reach yesterday. Hot but hotter on land:wink
This weeks regatta was all reaching and running, FAST race with different winners. Nice to break things up a bit.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I have a big concert in Philly this Friday, and rehearsals and school board meetings all week leading up to it, then a pot luck event at our marina Saturday evening. So no cruising next weekend - probably just a daysail on Sunday morning.

Our sail across the bay last Friday was a good test of our new 135. It definitely points higher than the old 150. Predicted WSW winds were actually due south, which is why we did not have time to make it into Chester River. So we started what we thought would be a broad reach across the Bay. Of course, halfway across the bay the winds shifted back more westerly, requiring me to point as high as possible to make it across without tacking. I was impressed with our new sail's ability to point at 30º apparent wind angle with no loss of VMG. We were doing 5.1-5.4 kts at 30-33º angle with apparent wind at 7.3-8.2 kts (see pics).

I was pretty happy with our speed in rather gentle breezes. My anemometer only shows apparent wind because Raymarine will not use GPS speed to calculate true wind, but my manual calculation shows true wind speeds of 4.0-7.4 kts for the two pics shown. Making way close-hauled at 5.1-5.4 kts in these light breezes is pretty good IMO. Fresh bottom and new headsail probably contribute to this.

The only bad news from our trip is that our stuffing box needs adjustment. We are getting a drop every ~8 seconds with motor off, one drop/second with motor in gear at idle speed, and two drops/second in gear at 2200 RPM. I've bought a couple of 1-15/16" wrenches and will tighten it up a bit, and need to re-check maintenance logs to verify age of the packing. If mild tightening doesn't get things to within Nigel Calder's recommendations, I'll have to re-pack. I'm hoping to wait until on the hard next winter for that. I'm not experienced enough to try a replacement while in the water.

Also, I'm going to add a cetane improver in hopes of reducing the engine vibration a bit. It's not bad, just seems like it might be a tiny bit more than last year. (Though I did not look at it that closely last year, so I don't have a reliable control study.) I'm not sure if the vibration is affecting the packing condition, but less vibration is always better. I know that the shaft was re-aligned 2 years ago when the transmission was rebuilt.

Finally, the GPS that I attached to my AIS radio seems to have poor reception, causing speed to bounce all over the place. It's behind the electrical panel right now, so presumably suffering electrical interference. It's a puck on a ~20 ft cable, so I can move it to a much better place with less interference. Just one more thing to go on the list.

Attachments

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Spent Friday night on a peaceful mooring at my club.
Marinated, grilled pork loin, Italian pasta salad, grilled asparagus for dinner. A perfect breeze blowing all night through a cracked open hatch.
Saturday was yard work and Sunday was banding and documenting immature barn owls.

Wednesday night looks fine for racing. Dry, sunny, 15-20 from the west.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Spent Friday night on board at the dock. At the proverbial butt crack of dawn I was up and doing the spring cleaning of the hull, topsides, and fenders. Boy did the winter deposit a lot of dirt and grime on the boat.
Went to the Hunt Cup Steeple Chase races on Saturday afternoon. Yesterday the admiral and I had a late lunch in Canton (Lee's Pint and Shell) and then took a very pleasurable 3 hour sail. Just right.
She's doing some craft show thing next Saturday but maybe we can get an overnight in if she finishes early enough.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Went to the Hunt Cup Steeple Chase races on Saturday afternoon.
Did you watch CBS's '60 Minute' piece about the Maryland Hunt Cup? My father won it back in 1940 as he broke his back in one of the earlier races..very tough course for both rider and horse...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Did you watch CBS's '60 Minute' piece about the Maryland Hunt Cup? My father won it back in 1940 as he broke his back in one of the earlier races..very tough course for both rider and horse...
We did see it. Pretty impressive that your father won the race. It is brutal. Our good friends actually live on Worthington Farm so we've been up close and personal with the races for years. We walk up the hill to the tree line just behind jumps 6 and 16 which are arguably the toughest on the course. One rider was hurt pretty badly this year going over jump 6 (two riders/horses went down there this year.) Only two of ten horses finished this year. The crowd seemed extremely large this year. Good weather I guess.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Getting pretty hot already. This past Friday, I worked on the boat and it got to 88 inside the boat by the time I decided to call it a day. I'm far enough along in my fiberglass project, that the heat shouldn't slow my progress TOO much. Still have some more work to do, but it's getting closer to finishing up. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to launch this year.

https://youtu.be/SmnaVVk5_4o
To go along with this video I posted, I published a blog post/write up. Lots of pictures showing my progress.

Rhapsody: Fiberglass Fuel Tank

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
The Tank Job looks great, Dan. You seem to be coming right along and if you continue at this pace, you should be able to launch by the end of the summer.

Good luck,

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
The Tank Job looks great, Dan. You seem to be coming right along and if you continue at this pace, you should be able to launch by the end of the summer.

Good luck,

Thanks Gary.

I'm still hopeful to launch this year. Plenty of work left to go but I'm getting there.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Hey everyone, I just got an email from USCG saying that my OUPV/Master license has been approved and is in the mail.
Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with it!

Don't worry, I won't make you call me Captain Rick! lol

401 - 420 of 1316 Posts