11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all a happy and safe New Year from Haleakula
Here’s to a great sailing season on the Chessie
Mods please make this a sticky. Thanks

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Dave and Dan, Happy New Year, Guys. Hope to see you both on the bay next spring.

Gary :cool:
Thanks Gary. I sure hope so. I just retired from the military. I hope to get extra time to work on the boat. So far, my time is spent helping my mother-in-law with my very active 8 month old daughter.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I wish you all Happy New Year!

At first I thought 2017 was a disappointment, since we had to end our sailing in early October due to my new job. But when I look back on it, we actually anchored out much more than ever before. It still was much less than you guys who head out every Friday night for every weekend, but given our current personal situation with jobs often getting in the way, we did pretty well.

In 2018 I want to build on this and use my vacation time wisely to maximize our sailing time. I hope we can head out for at least one 7-9 day cruise in addition to a bunch of 3-day weekends.

·
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish you all Happy New Year!

At first I thought 2017 was a disappointment, since we had to end our sailing in early October due to my new job. But when I look back on it, we actually anchored out much more than ever before. It still was much less than you guys who head out every Friday night for every weekend, but given our current personal situation with jobs often getting in the way, we did pretty well.

In 2018 I want to build on this and use my vacation time wisely to maximize our sailing time. I hope we can head out for at least one 7-9 day cruise in addition to a bunch of 3-day weekends.
Looks like you got out plenty
Hope to see you this year south of the bridge😄🌪

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Happy new year, y'all!

I'm in the process of building a new wiring harness for the mast, but I'd prefer to do it in weather above freezing. Tomorrow they're predicting a high of 26 and a low of 9... and that's the warmest it's been in a few days! Ugh!

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 35F. I'm not buying it. I'll bet we don't crack the freezing mark.

After that, we have 3 straight days of single digit low temperatures before we get any relief. It's so cold that I can't even get my house up to temperature for varnish work. Well, I could if I set my pellet stove for "blast furnace" and I just might. The USCG just came through and broke the ice for Smith Island, so that the islanders can get provisions.

Attachments

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
A liveaboard at my marina is reporting 3/8" ice in Rockhold creek yesterday within the marina and the whole creek frozen over. Not many boats would be getting out, I imagine.

Stay warm, everyone

·
Registered
940 Posts
So far there's not much ice on the Patapsco or the Bay itself but I expect that to change after 5 more days almost entirely below freezing. I think things would have iced much more quickly and severely had the bay water temperature not been in the 50s as recently as a few weeks ago. The last time I remember having this prolonged of a cold snap was 2015. It didn't hit until mid-February after the bay water temp had been hovering in the upper 30s for a solid month prior and the icing came on quite quickly.

Here's hoping for an early spring!

·
美國佬
621 Posts
We've got ice around our pier, but it's only been there two days or so, and it's really thin. I'm surprised there's as much ice as they reported around Smith Island.

·
Registered
409 Posts
So far there's not much ice on the Patapsco or the Bay itself but I expect that to change after 5 more days almost entirely below freezing. I think things would have iced much more quickly and severely had the bay water temperature not been in the 50s as recently as a few weeks ago. The last time I remember having this prolonged of a cold snap was 2015. It didn't hit until mid-February after the bay water temp had been hovering in the upper 30s for a solid month prior and the icing came on quite quickly.

Here's hoping for an early spring!
I'm vacillating on whether to add an ice eater. There was no sign of ice on the water yesterday in the harbor. Docklines that had dipped into the water and boat bits that were splashed on were pretty well covered. Outside temp shows 22 degrees and inside the boat shows 34.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 35F. I'm not buying it. I'll bet we don't crack the freezing mark.

After that, we have 3 straight days of single digit low temperatures before we get any relief. It's so cold that I can't even get my house up to temperature for varnish work. Well, I could if I set my pellet stove for "blast furnace" and I just might. The USCG just came through and broke the ice for Smith Island, so that the islanders can get provisions.
I went to the trouble of insulating my garage. Now I can run a small gas heater and get it up to 65 - just enough to varnish. But that's assuming I don't succumb to the varnish fumes or carbon dioxide!

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I went to the trouble of insulating my garage. Now I can run a small gas heater and get it up to 65 - just enough to varnish. But that's assuming I don't succumb to the varnish fumes or carbon dioxide!
The walls of my garage are insulated but not the ceiling and not the large, metal door. Did you put any kind of insulating panels in your garage door panels?
You've given me a good idea about finishing up the ceiling and installing an inexpensive wood stove.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The walls of my garage are insulated but not the ceiling and not the large, metal door. Did you put any kind of insulating panels in your garage door panels?
You've given me a good idea about finishing up the ceiling and installing an inexpensive wood stove.
I insulated the ceiling (that makes a big difference). The doors are thick wood, so no additional insulation but I did adjust the tracks to get a snug fit and then added some good external seals to keep the wind out.

·
11,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SailFlow

Hatterass Bouy- winds 50-60 wave height 18

Tomorrow

Texas Tower- winds 55-65 wave height 22
Nantucket SE Bouy winds 65 wave height 25+

New word for the talking heads- Bomb Cyclone

1 - 20 of 1159 Posts