SailNet Community banner

401 - 420 of 1159 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Flood gates are open at Conowingo Dam, tons of debris is flowing down the river and it will a navigational nightmare in the upper bay by next week.

Be careful out there everyone,

Gary

·
美國佬
621 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The marina just called to tell me that they will not be putting my boat in the water until the weather stabilizes and the threat of flooding has diminished. Several more flood gates were opened at Conowingo Dam and the river resembles coffee with cream and debris flowing at an incredible rate of speed through the Susquehanna Valley toward Port Deposit. This town goes underwater a lot.

This photo is from about 5 years ago when the river rose and our marina was inundated with about 4-feet of muddy water.Believe it or not, there is an entire marina buried beneath all that muddy water. Fortunately, the electricity was turned off before the river rose enough to cover the electrical boxes. Ironically, none of the boxes and meters were damaged.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
270 Posts
I'll be glad when this stalled front moves out. We're in for a whopping amount of rain over a 7 day period.
I think (I hope) I'm finally approaching a point where I can take vacation. I certainly have no shortage of hours to burn.
Congratulations on having time to take off! I took five weeks off from Sept-Nov. I’m hoping to get some sailing in during that time if the weather holds.

Seen this scenario before. This type of flooding will open up the extra floodgates at Coniwingo dam and the mountains of trash , logs, propane tanks, toilets , and general rubbish will be let loose upon the Upper Chesapeake. The repercussions will last a few weeks after this front finally gets pushed away. Extra high water will bring shoreline dead trees and logs into play as they get propelled into the water.

Care will be needed looking for deadheads and subsurface objects. Trash and junk will accumulate at Creek and river ends. Log lengths cab be identified by how many birds are sitting on them in the sailing areas.

Be careful out there
I was just thinking about this earlier. How long does it take for all this to get flushed out of the bay? Do you find a bunch of things hanging out between Baltimore and Annapolis for weeks now?

The latches seem rational to me. Knew someone who mostly sunk a Precision 19 (I think) from downflooding through the cockpit lockers. He put latches on his boat too - after it was recovered.

The Bay can be windless but to me it seems windier than it used to be. Have a great sail on the 22nd. maybe the rains will be gone by then.

Mary Lou
formerly Rhodes 22
now Rosborough RF-246 Tara
(pocket trawler)
Thanks for the well wishes! And it’s good to know that my fears aren’t unfounded - maybe my paranoia is appropriate :)

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Cockpit locker latches are also common on Pearson Ariels (or is it Tritons?).
Either the Ariel or the Triton has a cover in the cockpit that allows you to access the icebox. One of the owners told me that it's basically just a shoebox lid and nothing really holds it down. Owners have been heeled over in strong winds and had the icebox lid float off or blow off, leaving a big hole in the cockpit that allows downflooding.

You're not crazy for installing the latches.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Most of the debris never leaves the bay for many months. Instead, it usually ends up washing ashore until the next storm raises the tides and washes it back into the bay.

Gary

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
I'm be in the Chesapeake in 2 days. You have till then to get the freakin weather straightened out or I'm going to be coming for you guys!

·
12,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
I'm be in the Chesapeake in 2 days. You have till then to get the freakin weather straightened out or I'm going to be coming for you guys!

The weather has been unsettled and raining since you told us you were comming.

Stationary boundary in place through the weekend. Flooding of creeks and dam release in northern Bay will affect water.
quality and safety.

We had weekend plans but looks like only Sunday has a chance of limited precipitation.

Unsettled weather till next Wednesday unless of course you leave and continue north😄😄😄

What days will you be in the central Bay near Annapolis? Maybe we could grab a beer/ glass of wine.

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
The weather has been unsettled and raining since you told us you were comming.

Unsettled weather till next Wednesday unless of course you leave and continue north😄😄😄

What days will you be in the central Bay near Annapolis? Maybe we could grab a beer/ glass of wine.

I gave LOTS of notice and you guys said end of May/early June would be nice.

I predict that the weather will turn nice in two days when I drop anchor in Portsmouth.

Not currently thinking going to Annapolis this trip. I have a mooring reserved in DC for June 7-14, thats as much scheduling I do in general.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
During the rains Sunday and Monday, I discovered that my bimini and dodger have lost their water repellency (may have been like this a long time, since this was the heaviest rain I have encountered since I owned the boat). I promptly ordered a gallon of fabric water repellant, and planned to apply it this weekend -- until I saw the weather forecast that indicates it will likely get washed off if I try to apply it. So it's on to the next item on the list.

Meanwhile, our marina has canceled our opening season party for this Saturday. More time to get work done! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
My bimini is so old and porous that when you look up on a sunny day it appears as a star lit night. I would have to cover my bimini with epoxy in order to make it waterproof. I already tried all the waxy stuff and it didn't work at all.

Good luck,

Gary

·
12,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
During the rains Sunday and Monday, I discovered that my bimini and dodger have lost their water repellency (may have been like this a long time, since this was the heaviest rain I have encountered since I owned the boat). I promptly ordered a gallon of fabric water repellant, and planned to apply it this weekend -- until I saw the weather forecast that indicates it will likely get washed off if I try to apply it. So it's on to the next item on the list.

Meanwhile, our marina has canceled our opening season party for this Saturday. More time to get work done! :rolleyes:
We take our canvas home every winter. Part of its upkeep is cleaning upside with the hose and using imar 303 fabric protectant every year. Our last bimini and dodger still repelled water after 9 years.

We have Strataglass windows and use Imar cleaner and polish every month. Works on even Isenglass

·
Registered
409 Posts
My bimini is so old and porous that when you look up on a sunny day it appears as a star lit night. I would have to cover my bimini with epoxy in order to make it waterproof. I already tried all the waxy stuff and it didn't work at all.

Good luck,

Gary
Gary - you might want to try coating the old bimini with Rustoleum Never Wet. It is a super hydrophobic coating spray that you can buy at home depot or other big box hardware stores.
The stuff sprays on, it will make a cloudy covering on your bimini but most of the color shows through and water will run right off. There are some videos on youtube showing how it works and at around $15 it is cheaper than replacing a bimini.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Thanks Dennis, I will pick up a can tomorrow.

BTW: I stopped up at NE Yacht Club in hopes of catching up with you a few times, but no one was there. Maybe next time.

Gary :cool:

·
Administrator
270 Posts
I successfully built an A frame with a couple makeshift fender boards to raise and lower the (surprisingly heavy) mast. I'm wondering if the Catalina masts are significantly lighter, because this thing is a beast! My contraption works well, and it's useful for more than one purpose.

The forecast is also looking better for Tuesday. The chance of rain has dropped, with a low of 80 and a high of 68 and winds 5-10 knots. Sounds almost perfect for a first sail. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
My Catalina 250 had a 28' long mast. It was surprisingly light. I never weighed it, but I'd guess it was around 60 lb. Of course, that does not tell the whole story, because with the weight distributed over such a long length, the moment arm is huge. Just be sure your A-frame is built with good quality lumber, because the compressive forces on the lumber can be huge. I built a gin pole out of a 2x4. It worked well for about 6 years, but in year 7 I heard cracking as I raised the mast. It was already high enough that it was well past the point of maximum stress, so I kept cranking the winch to finish raising it. But afterwards I discovered that the cracking sound was the splitting of the 2x4 along the (lengthwise) grain. I very narrowly avoided a disaster. Raising and lowering that mast always scared the crap out of me, and that incident validated the reason for my fears. Coincidentally, I sold the boat a few weeks later, so I never had to contend with that gin pole again.

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
Am I understanding that some of you don't go out because it's going to rain? Just what are you made of that some rain is an issue?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Sounds like you might be in too much of a rush to wash the canvas with soap and a mildewcide and let it dry thoroughly before applying the water repellent. I took such a shortcut many years ago and wasted my money on the large quantity of expensive water repellent I applied to my Sunbrella boat cover. It was almost as if there were no effect.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Sounds like you might be in too much of a rush to wash the canvas with soap and a mildewcide and let it dry thoroughly before applying the water repellent. I took such a shortcut many years ago and wasted my money on the large quantity of expensive water repellent I applied to my Sunbrella boat cover. It was almost as if there were no effect.
I haven't washed any canvas yet (it was very clean when I brought it home for the winter), and I have never applied water repellant. So this will be the first time for me. It won't get done this weekend - too wet, and also too cold per the 303 instructions. How do you guys generally apply this stuff? I was surprised to see some of the warnings against spraying it. Makes sense, since I've noticed static electricity from Sunbrella fabric, and spark + vapor cloud = KABOOM!!!

401 - 420 of 1159 Posts