The only anchorage at Cape Charles is behind the concrete ships at Kiptopeke. Kings Creek is too shallow, and the harbor is too tight.
If your engine can use the Oberdorfer N202 or N202M7, then skip the Oberdorfer and go straight for this:Quick shakedown sail today before flying to Milwaukee for the week. Long list of stuff to fix. Water pump leaking like crazy, will replace crappy Sherwood with Oberdorfer. Lots of electronic gremlins - my Raymarine ST60 sounded a couple of low water alarms in my slip before leaving - it kept showing 3.5 ft (same as we saw in Bohemia River), then jumping back to 12 ft that we have in our slip. Wind transducer was 30 degrees out of alignment - that was easily fixed. (If you saw some guy driving around in circles, that was me.)
Most disburbingly, my autopilot remote control loses reception more than 4 ft from the tranmitter. It used to work all the way from the bow, and I’d routinely use it at the mast to tweak the boat’s direction when raising the mainsail. Can’t do it any more. New batteries didn’t fix it. Anyone have suggestions?
Good to hear...have fun😄Well, the forecast for Tuesday is scattered thunderstorms near Annapolis. I’ve postponed my first sail to Thursday. I’ll be launching for a day sail out of Sandy Point State Park. Anyone have suggestions on where to go? We don’t know if we’ll go up or down the bay. It’ll probably depend on wind and go whichever way is upwind first.
Res, Sounds great you're getting out on the water soon. See you around, maybe. Safe travels. :svoilier:Well, the forecast for Tuesday is scattered thunderstorms near Annapolis. I’ve postponed my first sail to Thursday. I’ll be launching for a day sail out of Sandy Point State Park. Anyone have suggestions on where to go? We don’t know if we’ll go up or down the bay. It’ll probably depend on wind and go whichever way is upwind first.
I am packing my bags but I'm headed to Bermuda on Thursday. I'll have to miss what I'm sure would have been a life-changing sail with you. :smileYEAH!~ Just got a phone call from the marina, and with luck, I'll be in the water tomorrow afternoon. Then, after about four to five days of putting things back together, I'm headed south for Saint Somewhere. Pack your bags, Donna.
Wow, that looks like a great option that takes the Oberdorfer and improves most of the (very few) complaints. It looks like they've modified the flange to fit the newer motors that use a 2-screw mount without using the silly screw-on clips. Somehow my alerts for new Sailnet posts stopped working yesterday, so I didn't see your post until after I had already ordered. And interestingly, I've seen nothing about this pump on the C34 Association website. I may post something over there about this apparently new pump.If your engine can use the Oberdorfer N202 or N202M7, then skip the Oberdorfer and go straight for this:
Better in every way.
Rick, I totally understand your desire to slap on a new Sherwood and get sailing for the short term.
My engine is 26hp. All I can tell you, is that the MM501 pump I linked moves plenty of water for my engine even during peak summer temps. You're right to do your own research.
The spouse and I sailed to Annapolis and anchored to observe the Blue Angels practice their routine. Lots of thunder, fury and impressive aerobatics. The sail to Annapolis was smooth and pleasant despite a fitful rain spitting on us. At anchor, we enjoyed a cup of Maryland veg crab soup and sub sandwiches. A brief line of rain passed over us around noon.
Around 2pm, the sun came out and the wind died. The show was over to we sailed/motored home, racing a much stronger storm line. We secured the docklines at our slip just as the lightning fell in earnest. We holed up in the cabin, tidying up and doing dishes until the lightning subsided, then we walked the 5 minutes up the street to our house.