SailNet Community banner

441 - 460 of 1159 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The only anchorage at Cape Charles is behind the concrete ships at Kiptopeke. Kings Creek is too shallow, and the harbor is too tight.

Good luck

Gary

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Quick shakedown sail today before flying to Milwaukee for the week. Long list of stuff to fix. Water pump leaking like crazy, will replace crappy Sherwood with Oberdorfer. Lots of electronic gremlins - my Raymarine ST60 sounded a couple of low water alarms in my slip before leaving - it kept showing 3.5 ft (same as we saw in Bohemia River), then jumping back to 12 ft that we have in our slip. Wind transducer was 30 degrees out of alignment - that was easily fixed. (If you saw some guy driving around in circles, that was me.)

Most disburbingly, my autopilot remote control loses reception more than 4 ft from the tranmitter. It used to work all the way from the bow, and I’d routinely use it at the mast to tweak the boat’s direction when raising the mainsail. Can’t do it any more. New batteries didn’t fix it. Anyone have suggestions?
If your engine can use the Oberdorfer N202 or N202M7, then skip the Oberdorfer and go straight for this:
https://moyermarine.com/product/mmi-502-flange-pump-csob_00_365/

Better in every way.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Well, the forecast for Tuesday is scattered thunderstorms near Annapolis. I’ve postponed my first sail to Thursday. I’ll be launching for a day sail out of Sandy Point State Park. Anyone have suggestions on where to go? We don’t know if we’ll go up or down the bay. It’ll probably depend on wind and go whichever way is upwind first.

·
bell ringer
4,816 Posts
The only anchorage at Cape Charles is behind the concrete ships at Kiptopeke. Kings Creek is too shallow, and the harbor is too tight.

Good luck

Gary
But outside the harbor looks ok to me,who anchors out a lot.

·
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #445 (Edited)
Cape Charles is a good place, Great Restaurants nice park.
Rough place to anchor if winds from the southwest.
Municipal marinia is cheap but make sure you get a slip in the back and face the Soupthwest
Eastern shore in the lower Chesapeake is depressing with only Cape Charles and Ononcock worth visiting IMHO

We headed to Yorktown in 3 weeks. It’s been 5 years.
The new Victory Center just opened by was a great stop before that. Can spend a whole day there
While we anchor many places, especially ially on vacation, this is one of our 3 days stop overs.
Great marinia across the York River from Yorktown proper
Enterprise brings us a car to the marina and it’s $50 a day.

First Day we go to Jamestown for a great tour of America’s first colony, From there 8 Miles to Williamsburg
You can get lost there, lots to do

Second day is a cant miss museum. US Mariners Museum in Hampton Rhodes Virginia where the US Monitor is . Whole day here . The museum is that fascinating. My wife even like it. I work in DC and am a member of the Smithsonians. The Maritime Museaum is unique. Most people thing that the Monitor is unique because it had iron outsides. In reality it’s major uniqueness was the rotating turret. Changed forever how ships fought. No longer did they need a broadside to aim cannons at. You could take ships head on. It’s technology is still used on warships today. Also it’s propulsion was unique. Monitor was dragged up from around Cape Hatterass where it sank in a storm. Preservation is outstanding

Third day is Yorktown and Williamsburg. Yorktown is fascinating with great seminars on period living as well as the whole history of the battle...like Gettysburg.

We probably will be anchoring and spending a couple days in Deltaville. We like anchoring in Fishing Bay or Jackson Creek on the Piancatinck

From there up the Rappahanock to Urbana, Carter Creek and Corotoman Rivers. All anchorages for us but also a few nice marinas which are cheap at $1 a foot a day.

Up the Chessie more are Indian Creek and Prenticess Creek....nice anchorages. Stay Clear of being downwind of Reedville on the fish factory stench will make you gag. You will I am sure be dodging these fishing boats for menheyden which are processed there for fish oil.

You have a choice now Crossing the Potomac can be a long brutal slog. It can be very rough with short chop interval 4 ft waves and a teeth rattling ride of 6 plus hours. If it’s benign take it.you can go up the Potomac to the Coan on the south side, my favorite is the St Mary’s on the north side. Lots of anchorages in both...very pretty area. St Mary’s is close to Pautexet and the navy fighters noise comes in play now. Pax River is a bust training base.

After Solomon’s , great place, you can start visiting Eastern Shore towns and rivers which are quite nice.

That should give you some choices, most will be occupied and visit by us in three weeks or so. Some are stops we have made other years. We home base near Annapolis in Whitehall Creek.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about anchorages or restaurants.

·
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Well, the forecast for Tuesday is scattered thunderstorms near Annapolis. I’ve postponed my first sail to Thursday. I’ll be launching for a day sail out of Sandy Point State Park. Anyone have suggestions on where to go? We don’t know if we’ll go up or down the bay. It’ll probably depend on wind and go whichever way is upwind first.
Good to hear...have fun😄

Sometimes when it’s hot close hauled is the way to go.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Res, Sounds great you're getting out on the water soon. See you around, maybe. Safe travels. :svoilier:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don, I can tell you that I have seen boats anchored there. It is pretty unprotected but I suppose if the weather goes bad it's easy enough to head for the marina.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Outside Cape Charles Harbor will be OK on those nights when the winds are dead calm, which in Cape Charles is quite rare. I've been going there for more than 50 years, mostly with powerboats, and have taken some nasty beatings while fishing just outside that harbor for weakfish, black drum and sharks. The fishing's great, though. :)

There is another marina in the harbor, which is situated on the opposite side of the harbor from the city marina, but I'm not sure if they have transient slips. Kings Creek Marina, may have transient slips, but I'm not positive about this.

The only protection inside the harbor is in the back end near the Coast Guard Station. I made the mistake of taking a slip close to the bay side and got beat up all night long with a west wind of just 10 MPH.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
YEAH!~ Just got a phone call from the marina, and with luck, I'll be in the water tomorrow afternoon. Then, after about four to five days of putting things back together, I'm headed south for Saint Somewhere. Pack your bags, Donna. ;)

·
Administrator
5,911 Posts
YEAH!~ Just got a phone call from the marina, and with luck, I'll be in the water tomorrow afternoon. Then, after about four to five days of putting things back together, I'm headed south for Saint Somewhere. Pack your bags, Donna. ;)

I am packing my bags but I'm headed to Bermuda on Thursday. I'll have to miss what I'm sure would have been a life-changing sail with you. :smile

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
If your engine can use the Oberdorfer N202 or N202M7, then skip the Oberdorfer and go straight for this:
https://moyermarine.com/product/mmi-502-flange-pump-csob_00_365/

Better in every way.
Wow, that looks like a great option that takes the Oberdorfer and improves most of the (very few) complaints. It looks like they've modified the flange to fit the newer motors that use a 2-screw mount without using the silly screw-on clips. Somehow my alerts for new Sailnet posts stopped working yesterday, so I didn't see your post until after I had already ordered. And interestingly, I've seen nothing about this pump on the C34 Association website. I may post something over there about this apparently new pump.

Here's the thing: I actually went ahead and ordered another Sherwood pump. It's complicated, but there are a few reasons why I became concerned about the Oberdorfer. One is that their N202M pump does not pump as much water as the Sherwood G908. For those who have older (lower horsepower 3-cylinder) Westerbekes, it seems to work fine, especially for those who upgraded their heat exchangers from 2" to 3" wide models, and/or those who sail on the west coast where the water is colder. I have the 4-cylinder 35 hp motor, and the Chesapeake gets to the high 80s in mid-summer. All this puts my boat too close to the limits of the Oberdorfer pump's capacity. There are a few cases of people who report steam coming out the exhaust with the larger motors and/or warmer waters. And this is something that can't be alleviated by just running at lower RPM, because that further lowers the pump's output. I called Depco yesterday for their advice, and they said based on customer complaints, they don't recommend the Oberdorfer for anything over 30 hp - basically for the same reasons I mention. Since they have no other pump to sell me, they had not incentive (aside from honesty) to turn me away.

FYI, the Moyer pump you linked seems to emulate the smaller Oberdorfer design, since they say it uses the same impeller.

Another issue is my belief that the inlet port on my pump is a 7/8" hose barb (not the stock 5/8" barb). The Ob pump has the two screw ports closer together than the Sherwood (since Ob is a smaller pump), requiring shortening the 5/8" barb to be able to rotate it on. A 7/8" barb is even bigger, and I'd likely have to grind off too much to grip the hose properly. All of these are things that I could work around, but it would cost me my entire Memorial Day weekend and maybe another weekend after that, as I am sure I would have to make multiple 100 mile trips to the boat. This same consideration precludes doing a rebuild - that will have to wait until after I get the new pump installed.

Bottom line: This time around I need a perfect drop-in fit, so I got the Sherwood. I'll consider other options later. It really bothers me to spend money on a pump that is considered total crap, but for my motor, sailing waters, and desire to get the boat running as quickly as possible, it's the only choice.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Rick, I totally understand your desire to slap on a new Sherwood and get sailing for the short term.
My engine is 26hp. All I can tell you, is that the MM501 pump I linked moves plenty of water for my engine even during peak summer temps. You're right to do your own research. :)

The spouse and I sailed to Annapolis and anchored to observe the Blue Angels practice their routine. Lots of thunder, fury and impressive aerobatics. The sail to Annapolis was smooth and pleasant despite a fitful rain spitting on us. At anchor, we enjoyed a cup of Maryland veg crab soup and sub sandwiches. A brief line of rain passed over us around noon.

Around 2pm, the sun came out and the wind died. The show was over to we sailed/motored home, racing a much stronger storm line. We secured the docklines at our slip just as the lightning fell in earnest. We holed up in the cabin, tidying up and doing dishes until the lightning subsided, then we walked the 5 minutes up the street to our house.

·
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Rick, I totally understand your desire to slap on a new Sherwood and get sailing for the short term.
My engine is 26hp. All I can tell you, is that the MM501 pump I linked moves plenty of water for my engine even during peak summer temps. You're right to do your own research. :)

The spouse and I sailed to Annapolis and anchored to observe the Blue Angels practice their routine. Lots of thunder, fury and impressive aerobatics. The sail to Annapolis was smooth and pleasant despite a fitful rain spitting on us. At anchor, we enjoyed a cup of Maryland veg crab soup and sub sandwiches. A brief line of rain passed over us around noon.

Around 2pm, the sun came out and the wind died. The show was over to we sailed/motored home, racing a much stronger storm line. We secured the docklines at our slip just as the lightning fell in earnest. We holed up in the cabin, tidying up and doing dishes until the lightning subsided, then we walked the 5 minutes up the street to our house.

Here is a picture taken off our marinas docks

https://www.facebook.com/WhitehallMarina/photos/a.856338671055231.1073741828.379703768718726/1752793048076451/?type=3

·
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Looks like an ok weekend. Typical Maryland. Chance of storms. As long as no lightening we are out.
Course that all hinges on them dropping us back in. We had some good sails so far.
Haleakula is getting her spa treatment and should be back floating on Friday.

Plan is to raft up Saturday with our friend 4arch his wife and two little ones......somewhere. We were waylaid last Saturday by the deluge.

Tough news today as it looks like June 26 I will have microdiscectomy surgery on my spine. As Gary says...”it sucks getting old”.
Good news...I should feel like I’m 40 afterwards.....we will see

·
Administrator
270 Posts
I'm almost done packing for Dream Weaver's first splash in the Chesapeake tomorrow!

The wind is going to be mostly from the North, but... are the Blue Angels practicing again tomorrow? If so, we may head South instead from Sandy Point and watch them. That'd be nice.

If not - we're probably going to head in the general direction of Rock Hall and maybe anchor for lunch near the Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge. I'm all ears for suggestions around there :)

·
12,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Major waterway restrictions on Severn during Naval Academy graduation

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Geeze, Donna - I'm crushed. ;) Have fun in Bermuda and hopefully, I'll see you and John later this summer. You, John and Gina are always welcome aboard Saturday's Child.

Shawn, I was thinking about heading north this year, but I have an invitation from my friend Michael (ferret chaser), a fellow sailnetter who I have not seen in a few years, so what the Hell, I'm gonna go to Hilton Head, SC first, then depending on my health, just might make that long trip north for a couple months. I told my wife that I was gonna do something, even if it's wrong. She laughed and said, Now that's a first - NOT!

I'll be doing a shakedown cruise beginning next week to see how I do single handed and tethered to an oxygen generator. Today, I installed the sails, cleaned the head, filled the water tank and flushed the water systems, then started doing a minor tuneup on the A4. Hope to finish the A4 tomorrow, and put the radar antenna post back in place as well, then, scrub the decks and cockpit. Should be ready to go after that.

I figure a week or two on the shakedown cruise will be enough to determine what I'm still physically able to do singlehanded.

All the best,

441 - 460 of 1159 Posts