SailNet Community banner

701 - 720 of 1159 Posts

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Went to the boat today, 93 degrees in the cabin, so I fired up the AC and within 30 minutes it was down to 78 degrees, a bit warm, but comfortable enough to get some work done. After about 30 minutes of work, I popped the top on a Coors Light, then drove home. On the way I stopped at Mc Donald's and purchased a smokey bacon burger, which was pretty darned good - I was pleasantly surprised. Its' a bit overpriced, but it was tasty.

Tomorrow, the weather forecast is for a code red air pollution alert, so I'm not leaving the ranch. Just gonna sit around and sip Jim Bean Honey Bourbon and watch big screen TV. :)

Be careful out there, sailors,

Gary :cool:
very toasty out there. Took my AC unit to the boat yesterday. Helped keep the cabin temperature down. Even though it got upto low 80s in the cabin, it felt cool enough to still do some things. Better still than if I was without. As soon as I turned it off to head back to the house, temperature shot up and I was sweating buckets.

Yesterday was a good work day. Back when I got some work done on my mast, the rigging shop also added a tube on the mast step for wires to pass through. The opening used to be flush with the step and any water could easily get down past the wires that was only held in place with a sealant. In order to get that to fit on deck again, I had to make the hole on the top plate of the compression post bigger. Finally got the mast step to sit flush with the deck. Now, I just need to seal it and bolt it down. While I thought of using butyl that everyone seems to enjoy using, I'm thinking of going with 4200 or Sikaflex 291 instead. I don't think the mast step will be coming off the boat again for a long time.

Picture 1: tube from the top of the mast step
Picture 2: The metal part on this picture is the top plate of the compression post.
Picture 3: mast step before sanding
Picture 4: after sanding the surface
Picture 5: made the bolt holes a little wider for the sealant to compress against the bolts.

I think at this point, I could technically get the mast up but the boat still wouldn't be ready for a while. At least this is one project that's (almost) out of the way. I still have plenty to keep me busy. At least now, once the mast step is sealed up, I can get rid of the tarps covering it.

anyway. Refit continues.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
while the tube in the base of the mast is a good thing, you also should have a tube inside the mast. The thing that annoys me the most is when I'm trying to sleep in an anchorage and there is a slight roll from the waves and those damned wires are banging inside the mast. Almost sounds like someone is beating on the mast with a ball pean hammer. ;)

Good luck,

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
We had a beautiful nighttime sail to Solomon's. Anchored in the creek next to the little island around 2am, with a perfect breeze through the V-berth hatch.
The boat is now staged for our vacation which begins this Wednesday.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I did the Northern Bay race week races on Sunday as crew. Windward/leeward courses. Packed the spinnaker 4 times down below and the cabin must have been 110 degrees. Looked like I just got out of the shower when I came back up on deck. I was so dehydrated I didn't even want to drink a beer at the end of the race. Unheard of!

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I did the Northern Bay race week races on Sunday as crew. Windward/leeward courses. Packed the spinnaker 4 times down below and the cabin must have been 110 degrees. Looked like I just got out of the shower when I came back up on deck. I was so dehydrated I didn't even want to drink a beer at the end of the race. Unheard of!
Yup, it's brutal down in the sewer. I also have been known to decline alcohol until I'm rehydrated. During our night sail we ate chilled sub sandwiches for dinner and chilled, sliced peaches for dessert from the local farm. I find that produce with a high water content really helps as opposed to salty snacks like chips, energy bars and nuts.

·
美國佬
621 Posts
... vacation from the Pautuxat to the Rhappohanok.
I was going to make a snarky comment about lack of spelling conventions on this site, but then I realized this started with none other than Captain John Smith, master explorer of the Chesapeake, flouter of English orthography and eschewer of traditional fishing gear:

“A few Bevers, Otters, Beares, Martins and minkes we found, and in divers places
that aboundance of fish, lying so thicke with their heads above the water, as for want
of nets (our barge driving amongst them) we attempted to catch them with a frying
pan: but we found it a bad instrument to catch fish with: neither better fish, more
plenty, nor more variety for smal fish, had any of us ever seene in any place so
swimming in the water, but they are not to be caught with frying pans.”

Captain John Smith, 1608

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I was going to make a snarky comment about lack of spelling conventions on this site, but then I realized this started with none other than Captain John Smith, master explorer of the Chesapeake, flouter of English orthography and eschewer of traditional fishing gear:

“A few Bevers, Otters, Beares, Martins and minkes we found, and in divers places
that aboundance of fish, lying so thicke with their heads above the water, as for want
of nets (our barge driving amongst them) we attempted to catch them with a frying
pan: but we found it a bad instrument to catch fish with: neither better fish, more
plenty, nor more variety for smal fish, had any of us ever seene in any place so

Captain John Smith, 1608
How's the boat work going, Willy? Be back in the water for the holiday?

The forecast is getting better and better with the heatwave breaking and even a little breeze in the forecast each day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
We saw dolfins(!!!) just outside the Swan Point bar. I’d never heard of them coming this far up the bay.
We had a pod of dolphins in Herring Bay a week ago Saturday! I've never seen them that far up either, but it was awesome.

Spent this Saturday past anchored in front of Chesapeake Beach for the fireworks display. It was outstanding.

Hopefully another township will step up on Wednesday night.

·
美國佬
621 Posts
How's the boat work going, Willy? Be back in the water for the holiday?

The forecast is getting better and better with the heatwave breaking and even a little breeze in the forecast each day.
I finished up yesterday, nearly dying from the heat. I think I drank a gallon and a half of water. I ended up installing a Taco Marine vinyl rubrail. The boat goes back into the water today and I'll sail it home this afternoon/evening.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
We took the dog home Saturday night and returned to the boat last night. We finighed rinsing the shock water out of the 2nd tank and slept in blissful air conditioning.

We left the dock at 0700 this morning. We went through Kent Narrows at high tide slack. My first time through the narrows, so I wanted to do it at slack on a weekday morning. Believe it or not, this was also my first time going through a draw bridge, so I just had to pick a tiny one!

We’re almost to St. Michaels, where we’ll anchor for awhile. If heat is too oppressive, we’ll move over to Miles River Yacht Club to plug in for A/C, and jump in their pool. Back home tomorrow morning.

Reactions: oldlaxer1

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I finished up yesterday, nearly dying from the heat. I think I drank a gallon and a half of water. I ended up installing a Taco Marine vinyl rubrail. The boat goes back into the water today and I'll sail it home this afternoon/evening.
I know it's not as pretty as a teak rub rail but I'm sure it still looks good and will be functional.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Went to the boat today because I thought I had left the frig switch turned on. As it turns out, I turned it off. The walk to the boat is just over 150 yards, the temperature was 97 degrees, code red air pollution alert - NASTY! It took less than 3 minutes to check the breaker panel and zip up the boat. By the time I got back to the car it was like climbing into an oven. I fired up the AC on high/recycle, turned on my portable oxygen system and drove home. Too damned hot for man or beast out there today.

Be safe,

·
11,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #713

Captain John Smith, 1608

Just the fact that you mention it means it bothers you on the spelling / grammar. Feel free to be the spelling police. I doubt it will change how I view posting. Besides if people see my posts after 9,000 with perfect grammar / spelling one of two things have happened. Either my body has become processed, or someone has hacked my account.🌪👍🦀🙀🤘😀

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
After arriving at St. Mike’s today we took a quick swim to cool off (no nettles), then dinghied in. After lunch and a couple hours of walking around, the temp hit 97 in the shade and we realized we’d be miserable, even if we plugged into AC somewhere. Rather than prolong the misery by staying overnight, we headed back to Rock Hall at 1630. We hit the narrows at 1830 opening, which was harrowing because of a strong current under the bridge pushing me forward and sideways toward the west pillars of the bridge. It felt like we barely made it. Transiting the north channel was uneventful because we followed the breadcrumbs from our southbound passage in the morning. Others should beware that markers have been moved in addition to the #3 and 4 that were moved in the past couple years. My NOAA downloaded charts are only a couple months old, but already obsolete because markers are in different places. Follow the markers and use binoculars to verify marker numbers so you don’t skip one.

·
11,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
Spent my first day outside trying to return to normalacy since last Tuesday’s back surgery.

They had me taking a walk everyday but today having Donna drive me around and going to Wegmanns our food store made me feel life will return. While very stiff still, the pain I was experiencing the last 6 months has abated. I had a partial disc removal and a piece of spine removed through a tiny 1.5 inch incision. The marvels of modern medicine. They sent me home with nurse Donna 4 hours after I woke up from anesthesia.

Have not missed being in the heat. Tomorrow we are looking at buying a new bed ( if you haven’t done this lately it’s quite a science project) . Hoping to go down and visit Haleakula over the weekend.

With any luck maybe I can convince the nurse to go out the following weekend if I keep progressing.

Reactions: Rezz

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
My vacation starts this afternoon. I'm sitting at work like I've got ants in my pants. I've got one gov't employee who wants to make absolutely sure that he's done everything possible to ruin my vacation before I head out.

The heatwave breaks beginning today. I'm stoked about the forecast.

·
美國佬
621 Posts
I had a rather pleasant trip home yesterday from the Magothy, even though I ended up motoring about 2/3 of the way. Out on the water it didn't feel especially hot at all. There were very few boats out.

The the trip ended on a sour note when a ski boat went by in the narrow channel leading to our dock with a guy wake surfing behind it, about 20 feet away, nearly swamping me. I then had to avoid them about 100 yards later when the guy wake surfing had to start again. I didn't realize until I got home that legally they cannot practice wake surfing less than 200 yards from shore, piers, or other boats, not to mention the extreme lack of consideration.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
If you had known the legalities beforehand, would you have attempted to stop and educate them?

I've learned that this is a pointless exercise. No matter how polite you are, these people will be extremely belligerent and ignore you. The only thing that stops them, is when they screw up and have an accident. If you're fortunate, no one will be hurt. If you're very fortunate, law enforcement will be near enough to apprehend them.

We're about one step away from that scene in the movie "Idiocracy" where all the rednecks were racing jetskis in the reflecting pool in front of the Washington monument.

·
美國佬
621 Posts
I know it's not as pretty as a teak rub rail but I'm sure it still looks good and will be functional.
It came out better than I thought. I pictured it making the boat look like a bumper car, but it's really not that noticeable. Plus, the boat is made of plastic already, so another bit doesn't ruin anything.

Attachments

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
It came out better than I thought. I pictured it making the boat look like a bumper car, but it's really not that noticeable. Plus, the boat is made of plastic already, so another bit doesn't ruin anything.
Hey, that looks great! Wow, you're practically crab pot-proof with that underbody!

701 - 720 of 1159 Posts