SailNet Community banner

741 - 760 of 1159 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
So who won the bet about me getting out after my surgery? I know that it will take some time for me to come back. Yesterday was an easy day, but I am not prepared yet for a jarring heavy wind steering day.
I need to stay away from repetitive motions for a while which put pressure on that area, till I build up. My strength. As well I am much more aware of body mechanics. When young that doesn’t make a difference, but I can see now how it means a big deal.
Dave - really glad your surgery went well and your pain is relieved and hoping for a quick recovery for you.

We'll probably be down in your neck of the woods to deliver the boat to Bert Jabins within the next few weeks. I decided to submit my bent toe rail that I had posted about a couple months back as an insurance claim. To attempt to repair properly I would have needed to take a whole week off work. Quicker repairs always would have looked half-assed and we plan on keeping the boat a long time. Annapolis Yacht Sales service division will be performing the repair since they are the local Beneteau dealer.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Dave, glad you had a successful surgery. My advice, take it easy, don't lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for at least the next three months, and play it safe. For me, nearly every day is a day of constant back pain, and unfortunately, surgery is no longer an option in my case. I just have to cope with the pain using a combination of booze and morphine.

Be careful out there and let that good looking gal you're married to take care of the heavy stuff. :)

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Y'all are making me more excited to be out on the water this weekend! I'm debating on Annapolis vs the Magothy for Thursday-Saturday from Sandy Point State Park. The wind predictions I'm seeing make me lean toward Annapolis and maybe Luce Creek.

Regarding the moorings in Annapolis - how strict are they on their noon check-out time? My wife and I would like to take the water taxi in for breakfast, but if they start running at 0930, we may not make it back to the boat exactly at noon. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Forgot to mention earlier that we saw dolphins off Gibson Island yesterday! Apparently there have been other sightings in the central bay. I've seen them down near Solomons before, but never this far north.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Forgot to mention earlier that we saw dolphins off Gibson Island yesterday! Apparently there have been other sightings in the central bay. I've seen them down near Solomons before, but never this far north.
That's so awesome! I hope they stay the week - we've never seen dolphins from the boat.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Back in June this year we were anchored in East River of Mobjack Bay. I stepped outside around two AM and was surrounded in the dark by dolphins blowing. Just the coolest thing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well, I'm glad everyone seems to have had a glorious weekend. Saturday afternoon was great for me. Wind was a little fickle, but humidity was low and that was a nice change.

I went across and landed for supper on Tilghman Island. A cheeseburger and a beer hit the spot and I left Knapp's Narrows at sunset.

What I got on the way home was honestly the worst butt kicking I have ever had on the Bay. The wind had shifted Easterly and picked up, hard. It was dark, but seas had to have been running five feet at least and I could hear every third swell breaking behind me.

Running DDW, GPS was hitting six knots under reefed main alone (boat is 22' LWL). We were tossed like a cork in a washing machine. The rolling was so bad I was concerned, borderline scared, a cockpit coaming would break below the water and pin me in a broach before a breaking wave. Autopilot was useless and I was exhausted keeping the boat under control. I made it home safe, thanks be to God.

A wise old man once said sailing was tranquility punctuated by terror. I think he was right.

·
11,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
Y'all are making me more excited to be out on the water this weekend! I'm debating on Annapolis vs the Magothy for Thursday-Saturday from Sandy Point State Park. The wind predictions I'm seeing make me lean toward Annapolis and maybe Luce Creek.

Regarding the moorings in Annapolis - how strict are they on their noon check-out time? My wife and I would like to take the water taxi in for breakfast, but if they start running at 0930, we may not make it back to the boat exactly at noon. Any thoughts?
Strict enforcement as they are at a premium and other boats will be there early circling to get a mooring as they want to ha e the day in Annapolis.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Well, I'm glad everyone seems to have had a glorious weekend. Saturday afternoon was great for me. Wind was a little fickle, but humidity was low and that was a nice change.

I went across and landed for supper on Tilghman Island. A cheeseburger and a beer hit the spot and I left Knapp's Narrows at sunset.

What I got on the way home was honestly the worst butt kicking I have ever had on the Bay. The wind had shifted Easterly and picked up, hard. It was dark, but seas had to have been running five feet at least and I could hear every third swell breaking behind me.

Running DDW, GPS was hitting six knots under reefed main alone (boat is 22' LWL). We were tossed like a cork in a washing machine. The rolling was so bad I was concerned, borderline scared, a cockpit coaming would break below the water and pin me in a broach before a breaking wave. Autopilot was useless and I was exhausted keeping the boat under control. I made it home safe, thanks be to God.

A wise old man once said sailing was tranquility punctuated by terror. I think he was right.
My boat is a 36'er and SCA conditions can be uncomfortable, but not usually scary. I do know what you were feeling though from a crossing we did from Onancock to Deltaville several years ago when the SCA that was forecast to abate later in the day, instead built to Gale conditions. We were in the middle of the widest part of the bay, out of sight of land and with no other boats anywhere. That whole thing about being responsible for the safety of everyone on the boat really started weighing on my mind that day and I was never as relieved as when we finally reached calmer conditions in the Rappahannock.

So I can well imagine how stressful SCA at night on a 22' boat would be.

Glad you got safely to port and have some lessons to digest now that you passed the test.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got to go for a small short sail today ....13 days after back surgery. Don’t want to push it. No pain anymore is a good 5hing.
We caught a few mooring in Clements Creek for the afternoon and took naps.
Glad to be out and about
Glad you're recovering ok. Like you said, don't push and naps are always a good thing :)

·
bell ringer
4,755 Posts
I'm happy to report that once you get out of the Chesapeake the bug issue is greatly improved. But to get up to Long Island and back for the weekend I would say is a pretty hard couple of days sailing :)

·
11,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #754 (Edited)
Thank you for taking the bugs with you.
We haven’t really noticed any real infestations other than what the rainy month of May brought.

Now if you want bugs.....try Florida. It never gets cold enough to kill them there, plus the whole state south of Orlando seems built on a marsh or reclaimed swamp. Enough of a reason for us not to retire there. Somethings are worth supersizing....not bugs. .lolololol

·
11,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
Cape May to the LISound and back is not a weekend sail😄🌪

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Considering it's 180 miles one way, for me it was an all day trip in a relatively fast powerboat and enjoying dead calm seas. Now, it would take me three days just to get there from Cape May to LI Sound, and that's with a good breeze.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
11,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #758
Ok I was thinking of lightweight cruisers like me being able to do it. To you serious Chesapeake sailors I recognize that's just a day sail. :laugh

Lol remember your audience here Don....you have joined the most popular thread here....Chesapeake.

Very very few of us are cruisers like you guys....mostly weekenders with occasional vacations on our boats..however some of us have traveled to the LI Sound and beyond on a few of our vacations/ deliveries.

The NJ Coast is an unforgiving Coast with most inlets trecherous save Cape May, Atlantic City , and Manesquan. Barnegat is doiable but dangerous. That means we either hop scotch up to Sandy Hook over a couple long days and the ride the flood through NY Bay / Harbor up the East River to the Western Zeno of the LISound. The alternative is a 36 hour straight crossing from Cape May to Block Island/ Montaulk. Puts you out 140 miles offshore and crosses MAJOR shipping lanes.

Our travels to the LI Sound which we’ve done many times involve a two week minimum time period. Is a great cruising ground including Newport, the Vineyard, New Bedford, and the many neT towns on the LI Sound

·
11,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
Looks like a nice weather weekend with highs in the low 90s and some good summer S winds.

Flollowing Drs and nurses advice we will take it easy with Measured sailing slowly building up my back muscles and it appears we are heading to somewhere on the Chester. Probably Cacaway on Langford but who knows. It will just be good to get put and be at anchor

Dr has cleared me to resume work Monday with restrictions which I can live with. I know they want me back...lol

·
11,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #760
Had a nice 4+ hour sail with 14-20 knots from Annapolis to Aberdeen Creek on the South River.

Part of me “taking it easier” as I recover from the back operation. Even though most of today was close hauled and I reefed some, we were averaging in the high sixes for SOG.

Original plan was Shaw Bay on the Wye, but by the tine we fueled and pumped out it was 12 noon. It took 2 good long across the Bay tacks to achieve the Thomas Point lLight which was to be passed no matter where we decided to anchor.

We hadn’t been up the South River this year, and of all the creeks on it we like Aberdeen the best.
As we passed Harness Creek it looked like Black Friday at Macy’s. Wall to wall raft ups. Aberdeen the next Creek was quiet. Only one other boat anchored here with us.

Dinner was a Sesame grilled ahi tuna , chopped sweet kale salad and a nice California Pinot Noir.

Reactions: Rezz
741 - 760 of 1159 Posts