SailNet Community banner

1041 - 1060 of 1159 Posts

·
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
The Chessie is so much more than Annapolis. Ripe with the history of the initial discovery and settlements of the New World , to the many Revolutionary War battles , and Civil War battles accessible by water. History is part of the charm. It's uniqueness does come from the thousands of gunkholing and anboring spots. Much of the Bay south Solomons is nspoiked and quiet which lends to it's beauty. The bountiful bird population as the final stop for many on the southern flyway as the first water that doesn't freeze in the winter.

Every place in the country has unique things to offer in sailing. Maine, Massachuettes, Rhode Island, Florida, . We got to charter in the San Juans with their unbelievable scenery.

No one has the best....just the best for you.😀😀😀😀🌪🌪🌪🌪

·
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042
Looks like fall is being ushered in today / tomorrow. We are headed over to the Magothy to raft up with long time SN friends and a charter members of the " Chesapeake Posse" on Saturday, Fall is primo time on the Bay. Kids back in school, less people buzzing around..great sleeping weather.

·
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,043 (Edited)
Working on rough planning of our 10 day fall vacation beginning two weeks from tomorrow. May do a few days on the Potomac, a few on the Choptank, a few on the Wye or Mikes , a few on the Chester, and a few at Worton / Still Pond ( depending on debris abatement on the Norther Chesapeake. Georgetown and Rockhall on for sure places. Course the wind/ weather will determine some of the direction, places and we don't want to feel like we're on a schedule.

We will anchor out 8 of the 10 nights probably, but may like to take a marina in Rock Hall and maybe on other place.

We've traveled all these areas extensively but are looking for some new stops.

Anyone have suggestions on anchorages and possible marina stops that you liked?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Looks like fall is being ushered in today / tomorrow. We are headed over to the Magothy to raft up with long time SN friends and a charter members of the " Chesapeake Posse" on Saturday, Fall is primo time on the Bay. Kids back in school, less people buzzing around..great sleeping weather.
FINALLY a good looking weekend on both days. We'll head to Chester or Magothy depending on wind (current northerly shift favors Magothy). Let me know where you are and we might dinghy over if we're nearby. Rafting might not be good, since we likely have to return early on Sunday morning (flight from PHL to Milwaukee).

·
Administrator
270 Posts
My wife and I are probably going to be on the Magothy for Friday and Saturday - our last two days of freedom for our anniversary weekend. If you see a 22' boat out sailing or anchored, give us a wave :)

·
bell ringer
4,818 Posts
It was nice out today. Going from Annapolis to Solomon’s was doing 5-7+ till about 1400 when the wind died down. Hope the nect couple of days are same as I have places I want to be.

Saw no debris in water

·
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047 (Edited)
Beautiful evening

Tomorrow beautiful out San the wind, but a perfect fall day. Even if we have to motor some.

·
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,048
Perfect fall morning. Wind 10-12 for a few more hours then lightening up the rest of the day. Tacking up past the bridge on the way to the Magothy.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Unfortunately, there are 7 flood gates open at Conowingo Dam, the Susquehanna River is extremely high and the current is very, very strong. The water at low tide at the marina was so high I couldn't even climb aboard my boat, let along pass beneath the railroad bridge.

Today is our 56th anniversary, I'm taking my wife to the Wellwood Restaurant in Charlestown, MD, where we will meet up with some old friends that we have known since the day we were wed.

Gary

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
This climate change may force you to move south of the bridge.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
We’re anchored far up the Corsica, just enjoying the tranquility. We sailed about halfway from Rock Hall, then motorsailed.

FYI, there appears to be a new Dunkin’ right around the corner from the Centreville dinghy landing. Not planning to go ashore this trip - trying to avoid too much running around.

·
bell ringer
4,818 Posts
Traveled from Solomon Islands to Deltaville today. Where where the mighty Chesapeake sailors???? Bet I saw less than 10 sailboats in the 60 mile trip, and half those were in the last 3 miles.

It was real nice day out. Saw 0 debris in the water.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Traveled from Solomon Islands to Deltaville today. Where where the mighty Chesapeake sailors???? Bet I saw less than 10 sailboats in the 60 mile trip, and half those were in the last 3 miles...
There were at least two dozen off Rock Hall. We were wondering if there was a regatta. Thee were another two dozen scattered at various places on the Chester River.

·
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,055
Traveled from Solomon Islands to Deltaville today. Where where the mighty Chesapeake sailors???? Bet I saw less than 10 sailboats in the 60 mile trip, and half those were in the last 3 miles.

It was real nice day out. Saw 0 debris in the water.

Hundreds of sailorss out in Annapolis area now that you passed through😂😂😂😂😂

We are rafted up with 4arch and family near Gibson Island Inner Harbor.
Took a dinghy ride up to the Eagles Nest horse farm and no less than 25 masts and many more power boats anchored there. Here no one. Even the giant house boat gone for the fall.

Dinner was shrimp scampi and grilled peaches. Lost a pair of tongs...

Was great catching up with good company.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
My wife and I had a nice Friday and Saturday out on the water.

Friday we went up from Sandy Point to Eagle Cove on the Magothy, and the wind was on the nose most of the way. We anchored with 10 other boats in the Cove, and woke up to some horses grazing in the field. The weather was perfect, but a breeze would have been nice so the mosquitoes would have been kept at bay.

We hauled anchor at about 1000 on Saturday, and we ended up motorsailing back for all but an hour of our trip back. We saw a number of people sailing - or just bobbing around with mostly slack sails. When we got close to the route 50 bridge we could see some spinnakers on the horizon.

I don't know if we passed anyone from the forum, but it was great to be out on the water!

·
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,058
Probably passed us as we were headed for the Magothy
Motorsailed after wecpassed through the Bridge headed north.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Chartering a boat out of Herrington Harbour north next weekend. Thinking of going to Chesapeake Beach/ rod 'n reel marina just south of there. But the marina website says they accommodate boats with drafts less than 4.5 ft. The sonar chart on Navionics looks shallow. I believe the boat has a 4 ft draft.. I think we'll be there around high tide (lunch time). Should I risk it? Is this approach fine for 4 ft drafts?

I'll certainly give them a call and ask, and check with charter company.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The channel leading to the Rod and Reel Dock have always been pretty shallow, about 5 feet at low tide. I dragged bottom when going in there when I had a 27 Catalina, which drew about 5.5 feet.

You may want to talk with Fred Donivan, one of the owners about the channel before trying to get in. Fred is an old friend of mine and keeps tabs on the channel depths throughout the year. He managed to get it dredged a couple times, but not recently that I know of.

The facility there is fantastic and you will really enjoy the food it the restaurant.

Good luck,

Gary

1041 - 1060 of 1159 Posts