SailNet Community banner

101 - 120 of 1159 Posts

·
美國佬
621 Posts
LMAO! What are you installing it in? Did you build your own dessicating toilet or is this being installed in a C-head?
It goes in a kitty litter desiccating toilet. It has been a bucket in a box with a funnel attached to the lid/seat, but I have to reconfigure it, now that I've got an honest to goodness diverter/separator. I'm doing my part to make America great again.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
It goes in a kitty litter desiccating toilet. It has been a bucket in a box with a funnel attached to the lid/seat, but I have to reconfigure it, now that I've got an honest to goodness diverter/separator. I'm doing my part to make America great again.
Take a photo of the completed assembly when you get it together. I'm curious.
I keep vacillating between a composting toilet and a Lavac vacu-flush toilet.

·
美國佬
621 Posts
Take a photo of the completed assembly when you get it together. I'm curious. I keep vacillating between a composting toilet and a Lavac vacu-flush toilet.
OK, will do. My boat originally had a head that flushed overboard, but when I bought it, there was only a seacock (new, curiously) forward of the head, but no plumbing or holding tank. I don't really like the idea of a water-based system so I didn't try to install one. The kitty litter thing works fine with one or two people, but I don't think it would work well for more than that for multi-day trips.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
God help me, I am *still* varnishing.

Normally, visiting the boat during the winter helps me cope. The boat is in the water, I climb inside, fire up the heater and maybe have a drink, putter about or look at opportunities for future projects. Sometimes I read, or take a nap. Sometimes, I'll have dinner if the cabin can be made comfortable.

Visiting the boat with the cabin sole torn out and the bilge floors exposed, does NOT make for a soothing experience. I sat on the port settee, among the dust and piles of tools, staring into the bilge. Unsettling. Disappointing.

If I can lay 2 coats today, and 2 coats on Friday, I believe I can put it back together this weekend. I still need to make up the quarter round trim, but at least the boat would be functional.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ajax, I hear you. I do the same thing in the winter. I live in Albany, NY, so visiting the vote means flying to BWI, driving to Baltimore (Anchorage Marina), and checking on things. This winter it's been so cold and both my family and I have been sick off and on all month that I haven't been down there. A friend has been kind enough to check on the boat. Looking forward to a nice spring!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Its the time of year where ideas for sailing adventures starts turning over in my head, and this year the idea that has taken root is doing a 100NM "century" sail.

Just toying with the idea, but thinking something like an overnight from Herring Bay to York River, Hampton or maybe Cape Charles (some of those are bit over 100NM), then taking several days, stopping at some of my old favorite anchorages, to work my way back home.

No particular reason, other than do do an overnight sail without the pressure of being in a race with a bunch of crew.

I expect this would be a single boat deal, as I don't know how appealing such a trip would be to our yacht club friends.

Anyway its an idea to help while away these frigid days.

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
Anybody out there who needs a bit of wind for the next few weeks, please let me know and I'll gladly send you some of ours!

·
Master Mariner
8,367 Posts
It's warmth that we need. Send any excess heat this way.
Done! Pass on your email and be prepared for a really big zip file. lol

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Done! Pass on your email and be prepared for a really big zip file. lol
Yeah, I heard that heat doesn't compress very well. ;)

Although the task is still not 100% complete, after installing my new cabin sole I was able to mostly clean up the boat and enjoy a couple of hours of puttering around while listening to the stereo.

I cannot adequately convey how much this improves my attitude and mental outlook.

·
美國佬
621 Posts
Its the time of year where ideas for sailing adventures starts turning over in my head, and this year the idea that has taken root is doing a 100NM "century" sail.

Just toying with the idea, but thinking something like an overnight from Herring Bay to York River, Hampton or maybe Cape Charles (some of those are bit over 100NM), then taking several days, stopping at some of my old favorite anchorages, to work my way back home.

No particular reason, other than do do an overnight sail without the pressure of being in a race with a bunch of crew.

I expect this would be a single boat deal, as I don't know how appealing such a trip would be to our yacht club friends.

I think that's a great idea. Here's my version - a 100 mile "Sail to Nowhere", i.e., from the Severn river in Maryland to the Severn river in Virginia: http://tinyurl.com/y8xacvwq . It's almost exactly 100 miles, plus a few more to tack around land masses. YMMV.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like fun and a great way to get some newbies out for an overnight sail. We've done this with a trip from the USVIs to St. Martin/Angula; a bit less traffic on that one. People loved the night sailing, but getting anyone to rest for a late watch was hard.

Cheers, RickG

·
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

Good fun. We’ve essentially done that to Yorktown in the past. I’d stay on the western side. Really only Onancock to see over across the way besides, Cape charles

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Good fun. We’ve essentially done that to Yorktown in the past. I’d stay on the western side. Really only Onancock to see over across the way besides, Cape charles
Cape Charles is sort of the "one that got away" for us. We were still in Deltaville when Cape Charles overhauled itself and became a far more interesting destination. However, while our marina mates told us how much they enjoyed visiting, its one of the places we never managed to visit so I really would like to find a way to work in a visit.

I've been to Onancock many times but it is one of our favorite stops. I'll grant its a tad out of the way so might not fit this trip should it happen.

·
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Cape Charles is sort of the "one that got away" for us. We were still in Deltaville when Cape Charles overhauled itself and became a far more interesting destination. However, while our marina mates told us how much they enjoyed visiting, its one of the places we never managed to visit so I really would like to find a way to work in a visit.

I've been to Onancock many times but it is one of our favorite stops. I'll grant its a tad out of the way so might not fit this trip should it happen.[/QUOTE

There are two marinas there. The city one has great facilities. The town is easy walking distance anda few good restaurants. Ginger nut pub is Irish food and great selections of beer. The restaurant in the bank ( igingrrnut is also) has unique decor and fabulous stuffed fresh toast, Also the Shanty, is at the marina has good local seafood. Town is quaint and quiet. Beach is a good walk. Negatives of the city marina is the surge in the harbor at the slips can make it a bit rough. Make sure your bow points west in the slip. Concrete factory next to the marina,

We have not visited the Oyster Farm Marina. Looks nice and is a destination like marina. Looks more protected than the city one , but a longer way to town. If we return we will go here.

Last season we visited there in June. Onancock and Crissfield in September. It was enough for a while for us. Looks like we are headed to Yorktown in June for three days ( were here a few years ag before the new center was completed) . We visited the museum in Hampton which houses the Monitor and also Williamstown. The area has car rentals for $50,
We have done the trip to Yorktown from the Severn in one day/ night. Same on the return trip. Much of this depends of course on the winds/ sea state crossing the Potomac. The area can be a *****.

101 - 120 of 1159 Posts