SailNet Community banner

161 - 180 of 1159 Posts

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Gratitude reported today that three boats were knocked off their blocks. Thankfully not Halcyon. At least, the email said that they contacted the boat owners and no one called me.

Best of luck everyone.
I'm heading to my boat tomorrow so I'll get to see how things look.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not to go all "woe is me" but...

This is not a good angle for a boat in water, never mind land.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I see insurance rates going up even more this year.

One thing jumps out at me on that picture. I see boat stands on gravel, but no sign that there were plywood pads underneath. If so, that's asking for trouble. I do hope that they're not the boats of any of our friends here. And regardless, I hope they are fully insured.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Milwaukee. First time in my life I've ever had a flight canceled. And after flying out of Milwaukee for 6 months, the fact that it's because of bad winter weather in Philadelphia is an irony I can't let go of.

I hope you're all safe. My family is stuck in Swarthmore with power out, and projected to be out until 10 pm Sunday.

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I see insurance rates going up even more this year.

One thing jumps out at me on that picture. I see boat stands on gravel, but no sign that there were plywood pads underneath. If so, that's asking for trouble. I do hope that they're not the boats of any of our friends here. And regardless, I hope they are fully insured.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Milwaukee. First time in my life I've ever had a flight canceled. And after flying out of Milwaukee for 6 months, the fact that it's because of bad winter weather in Philadelphia is an irony I can't let go of.

I hope you're all safe. My family is stuck in Swarthmore with power out, and projected to be out until 10 pm Sunday.
We are in the same situation. Lost power while I was at work today. Sun projected as fix.
Thanks goodness We have two Hondaeu 2000 generators
One is running our pellet stove and big screen in the family room so we are warm and entertained
Second one runs the refrigerator.
Gas grill,has a burner for coffe...so we are good to go.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts

·
美國佬
621 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how much water gets blown out of the river - hopefully not as bad as we had earlier this year.
Well, so much for being hopeful. We got about the same amount of water blown out, and in the space of a few hours - by early afternoon yesterday it was down to where it got after 3 days of wind last time. It was still low this morning. The wind has died down enough to where I could actually go sailing if only I could get on the boat from the pier.

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I don't see the record high happening I am in Lewes and we had super low blowout tide here. The wind would need to do a 180 for a record high.

Don’t see that happening either with wind out of NW, N and NE the next two days.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I don't see the record high happening I am in Lewes and we had super low blowout tide here. The wind would need to do a 180 for a record high.
The marina it was forecast within 24 hours from record low, so your post was too soon. Forecast high is in about an hour or so. But it is a forecast, so the data will decide. Nor’easters will have 180 swings if they pass close enough, but in this case I think high water will be due to full moon. You’ll have to ask the NOAA forecasters why they’re predicting such a high tide.

Attachments

·
Sailor
243 Posts
The marina it was forecast within 24 hours from record low, so your post was too soon. Forecast high is in about an hour or so. But it is a forecast, so the data will decide. Nor’easters will have 180 swings if they pass close enough, but in this case I think high water will be due to full moon. You’ll have to ask the NOAA forecasters why they’re predicting such a high tide.

Usually a Noreater moves up the coast which gives us NE winds for the first half followed by NW winds once the center moves north of us. This one formed to the north so we started with NW winds. If this storm came up the coast I would probally be a hundred miles inland in a motel. We did have a high tide about a foot above normal even with the blowout low due to the moon. They really got hammered up north. We were very lucky IMHO this thing was massive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Irony: Losing power, heat, and running water, one day after signing the paperwork to have a large solar array and 14KWh Tesla backup battery installed. :hothead
Ah - so you're to blame! We're now into day 3 without power and current estimate is at least another two days. Thankfully I installed solar six years ago, and coupled with spare parts from my boat we have a warm room, chilled wine, and hot showers in the morning :)

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Ah - so you're to blame! We're now into day 3 without power and current estimate is at least another two days. Thankfully I installed solar six years ago, and coupled with spare parts from my boat we have a warm room, chilled wine, and hot showers in the morning :)
Bravo!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm afraid it was all my fault. My wife told me to put the snow shovel away on Wednesday and I did. Won't happen again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I sighted our first osprey of the year yesterday, while sunning my self on my boat. Spring is nigh.

I'll probably go through the season without hot water and replace the leaky heater this fall or winter. It's a large job and the cabin sole took most of my winter. Sigh.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's unusual for me but I just had a thought. Has anyone considered installing solar hot water panels and a small circ pump on their boat in addition to solar PV? Would weight be a problem since the panels would sit up high? It may be stupid idea but I just have to know. Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
I just know that I'm missing seeing some incredible places on the Chesapeake. Until now, I've been relying on reports from sailors on internet forums and visiting many of the same places repeatedly. I'm looking for new opportunities.

Which cruising guide do you guys feel is superior for the bay-

The Guide to Cruising the Chesapeake Bay
or the Waterway Guide?

Or are they about the same?

161 - 180 of 1159 Posts