SailNet Community banner

181 - 200 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Finally got out sailing last week, first time this year! 5-10 out of the NW so we put up the sails near Ft McHenry, just pushed down past the bridge enjoying the day. Also first sunburn of the year. We finally had to turn around near Bodkin Creek and battle back. When it started to get late and we weren't making a lot of headway, I tossed my pride over and started the engine. Just a great first day on the water.

By the way, Anchorage Marina, our home port, has new docks on D, E, and F docks. Really pretty and sooo solid! It's a nice change. There may still be some working on over on F, so if you are coming in there, be sure to check early.

Thanks for the reminder about CHESSS, I was one of the original members but I think I forgot to pay my dues this year, need to do that. I have a friend coming in July and we're hoping to race for the first time in the Race to Baltimore.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Finally got out sailing last week, first time this year! 5-10 out of the NW so we put up the sails near Ft McHenry, just pushed down past the bridge enjoying the day. Also first sunburn of the year. We finally had to turn around near Bodkin Creek and battle back. When it started to get late and we weren't making a lot of headway, I tossed my pride over and started the engine. Just a great first day on the water.

By the way, Anchorage Marina, our home port, has new docks on D, E, and F docks. Really pretty and sooo solid! It's a nice change. There may still be some working on over on F, so if you are coming in there, be sure to check early.

Thanks for the reminder about CHESSS, I was one of the original members but I think I forgot to pay my dues this year, need to do that. I have a friend coming in July and we're hoping to race for the first time in the Race to Baltimore.
We too got out for the first time on Saturday. We got a late start because my daughter was in town from NYC. We had a lovely day sail out past the Key Bridge in a steady 8-10kt breeze. The admiral decided to go below and take a nap (one of her favorite parts of sailing) and I sailed her home on a beam/broad reach all the way to the dock. Motor ran all of 3 minutes to get her in the slip. It's nice to finally be back on the water. Hip surgery went exceptionally well. I'm probably at 90-95% now. (was probably 35-40% before surgery). Boat is clean, prepped, and we're ready for some overnighting. See you all on the water!

Attachments

·
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #183

Outstandin

·
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
We too got out for the first time on Saturday. We got a late start because my daughter was in town from NYC. We had a lovely day sail out past the Key Bridge in a steady 8-10kt breeze. The admiral decided to go below and take a nap (one of her favorite parts of sailing) and I sailed her home on a beam/broad reach all the way to the dock. Motor ran all of 3 minutes to get her in the slip. It's nice to finally be back on the water. Hip surgery went exceptionally well. I'm probably at 90-95% now. (was probably 35-40% before surgery). Boat is clean, prepped, and we're ready for some overnighting. See you all on the water!
Glad your surgery was successful. Mine happened last June and I am better for it

If you have a diesel, it’s best to run them at least 10 minutes, even if you can sail back to your dock.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Glad your surgery was successful. Mine happened last June and I am better for it

If you have a diesel, it’s best to run them at least 10 minutes, even if you can sail back to your dock.
It's an Atomic 4. (And please no Atomic Bomb jokes from the peanut gallery.:D )

·
Registered
202 Posts
First sail of the year on Sunday. Went out of Herring Bay and found 20 knots gusting much higher. We had quite the boisterous sail and the entire Bay to ourselves. A good omen for the year, methinks.

·
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
It's an Atomic 4. (And please no Atomic Bomb jokes from the peanut gallery.:D )
I had an atomic 4 on my Islander 28....was very reliable and easy to work on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks like I am going to end up with a 4 day weekend over Memorial day weekend. I assume that I should expect to see the same drunken pontoon boat antics on the Potomac as I have seen anywhere else there is water plus a holiday weekend?

Worth my time to kick out of the marina and single hand my way upriver a bit and check out Mt Vernon or should I hang out and catch up on boat work? (I actually enjoy both activities about equally)

Weather at least looks nice for a change. Usually rains frogs on my days off. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
After 5 months of work, our 1st boat...Keiko..a Dufour 31...is ready to pull out of the slip. We are stoked to get out of Castle Harbor Marina for an overnight this weekend. Here's the kicker...We plan to go to the Magothy...where I first proposed to her 14 years ago on a Beneteau 33ish charter. It was her first sail. I booked it in July out of Swan Creek with Haven Charters, my Go To Company for these waters, figuring that it would be a slow sweat-fest of a sail. However....we had 20-30 knts and 4-6 swells with lightning that night.. She was at the helm while I tried to hoist the main...I had failed to secure the halyard to the main ahead of time...her first time on the water...She was a Natural..and despite losing the main halyard once...and climbing on the swinging boom to prevent it from slinking up the mast...we prevailed. On another note, ask me some time about how we retrieved a main halyard that had run up to the top of the mas using the spinnaker halyard with a coat hangar attached to it, with a retrieving /maneuvering line attached to the hangar, and a third Crew with binoculars guiding it all to retrieve the mast head terminated main halyard. Yeah..was pretty proud of that one..now I bring my rock climbing gear and harness. About what my Fiance saw... It was pure terror that I never showed.."Oh yeah, this is sort of normal"...yike..after 3 Caribbean charters, she now knows better.
Anyway, when we got the call today from our mechanic..it was both exhilarating and terrifying..and..really, isn't that was sailing is?
HA!!!
Patrick

·
Registered
62 Posts
Obviously...you should recruit a kid , or two, who've never been out. Get them to help for a short bit, the take them out for the experience. Pay it Forward.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Had a lovely sail last weekend, up to 9 kts of wind reported by wx. Calm seas, not too hot, perfect conditions! First "real sail" (actual wind) with my own boat, which ended with my outboard refusing to start when going back in. It's not the newest, a 16 year old 2-stroke, but I hoped it would keep going a while longer.. I have little experience dealing with these so now I need to fiddle around with it instead of sailing! Don't have high hopes. Getting this off the boat by myself will be the first challenge.. And the repair places around apparently have a 4 week back log! So out of commission for a while. Aah the joys of boat ownership..

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I'm happy to report that repairs to Breakin' Away are complete. I had a successful sea trial Thursday, and made the transit from Delaware City to Rock Hall on Friday. It was mostly motoring since the wind was very light, and totally nonexistent at the end. I've never seen the waters between Tolchester and Rock Hall so smooth as glass.

The Flexofold 3-blade prop works beautifully, with no vibrations at any speed. It pushes the boat forward very well, and does better than I expected in reverse. I'm going to need to adjust to the new stuffing box with Teflon packing - it runs hotter than my old packing (90-96 F) even when adjusted with copious water dripping through. If anyone has any information on special break-in procedures or anything else, please send a link.

We had to leave the boat in Rock Hall on Friday to spend time with my sons, but they took off for their weekend destinations on Saturday afternoon, so we headed back Saturday night to spend some boat time in the slip - for dinner in the cockpit, Netflix movie in the cabin, and removing about 100 lb of unneeded gear this morning and otherwise securing the boat for 2 weeks idle in the slip. After such a long wait this season awaiting repairs, even time in the slip was much appreciated.

My wife and I will be in the midwest for the next 2 weeks for my work and to care for her elderly parents. We hope for good weather starting June 15 when we return. Meanwhile I'll live vicariously through all of your posts.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Sorry I have not been able to be very active on the site these days, but today was kinda special. I motored from Owens Marina in Perryville over to Havre de Grace, gassed up the boat, motored a couple hundred yards out beyond the Tidewater mooring field, put out the jib, shut the A4 down, propped up my feet and let the wind do a number on me. OH YEAH! Sailed down the Havre de Grace Channel at 7.5 to 8.2 MPH on just the jib, then made a left turn at Battery Island, sailed out into the open waters of the bay and down to the mouth of the Sassafras River, then turned around and sailed back to the #1 buoy of HDG channel. At that point the wind, which was woofing at about 25 MPH was right on my nose so I rolled up the jib, fired up the A4 and motored back to the marina. The timing was perfect and I made it into the slip about an hour before dead low tide. At dead low, I run out of water to get into the slip and have to sit outside and drink honey bourbon until the tide gets high enough to get into the slip.

Two weeks ago, while motoring past Battery Island, which is now much larger than at any time in history, I noticed that the island seems to be eroding away, particularly on the western shoreline. I was correct in my assumption. The Havre de Grace Channel, which was dredged to 19 feet in 2012, is now down to a depth of just 10 feet at mid tide right in front of the island. I suspect that the huge volume of winter rains and snow melt have carried away some of the island's shore and deposited it into the adjacent channel. I watched a tug pushing a barge through this area today as I motored home and he sure churned up a lot of mud and debris when he went through this section. Still plenty of water for my old tub, though.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Good to hear from you Gary and your great day out on the water,
have followed and enjoyed your posts over the years.
Sorry your timing was off going back to your slip.
Thinking with some forward planing next time out
you will be able to lay off siping some Honey Bourbon while waiting
for tide to come in.
That stuff goes down entirely too smooth.

·
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Sorry I have not been able to be very active on the site these days, but today was kinda special. I motored from Owens Marina in Perryville over to Havre de Grace, gassed up the boat, motored a couple hundred yards out beyond the Tidewater mooring field, put out the jib, shut the A4 down, propped up my feet and let the wind do a number on me. OH YEAH! Sailed down the Havre de Grace Channel at 7.5 to 8.2 MPH on just the jib, then made a left turn at Battery Island, sailed out into the open waters of the bay and down to the mouth of the Sassafras River, then turned around and sailed back to the #1 buoy of HDG channel. At that point the wind, which was woofing at about 25 MPH was right on my nose so I rolled up the jib, fired up the A4 and motored back to the marina. The timing was perfect and I made it into the slip about an hour before dead low tide. At dead low, I run out of water to get into the slip and have to sit outside and drink honey bourbon until the tide gets high enough to get into the slip.

Two weeks ago, while motoring past Battery Island, which is now much larger than at any time in history, I noticed that the island seems to be eroding away, particularly on the western shoreline. I was correct in my assumption. The Havre de Grace Channel, which was dredged to 19 feet in 2012, is now down to a depth of just 10 feet at mid tide right in front of the island. I suspect that the huge volume of winter rains and snow melt have carried away some of the island's shore and deposited it into the adjacent channel. I watched a tug pushing a barge through this area today as I motored home and he sure churned up a lot of mud and debris when he went through this section. Still plenty of water for my old tub, though.

All the best,

Gary :cool:
Go to know you are well

As we transmitted the C&D yesterday and progressed to Turkey Point I was hoping to run into you. We saw a few sailboats out and one cone out of the Havre de Grace area after we passed the Sassafras. Bet it was you.

Water from the Susquehanna made the Bay there a coffee color and we saw some minor wood. Not as bad as three weeks ago when we came through on our trip to Newport.

Glad to see you are getting out and sailing.

·
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Today we are comfortably behind Worton with poor internet reception. We are headed on our last leg of vacation and probably anchoring tonight in either Annapolis or one of the Severn Creeks like Clements.

Having traveled over 900 miles ( same distance to the Bahamas) in 20 days I can say I am back to our friendly cruising grounds . I posted the trip on another thread so anyone taking a trip to the LI Sound could use it for recommendations or insight.

The best feature we have on the Chessie is the ability to anchor virtually anywhere. The scenery is gorgeous and when there is wind ( and no heat) tithe sailing is superb. Glad to be back.

·
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I'm happy to report that repairs to Breakin' Away are complete. I had a successful sea trial Thursday, and made the transit from Delaware City to Rock Hall on Friday. It was mostly motoring since the wind was very light, and totally nonexistent at the end. I've never seen the waters between Tolchester and Rock Hall so smooth as glass.

The Flexofold 3-blade prop works beautifully, with no vibrations at any speed. It pushes the boat forward very well, and does better than I expected in reverse. I'm going to need to adjust to the new stuffing box with Teflon packing - it runs hotter than my old packing (90-96 F) even when adjusted with copious water dripping through. If anyone has any information on special break-in procedures or anything else, please send a link.

We had to leave the boat in Rock Hall on Friday to spend time with my sons, but they took off for their weekend destinations on Saturday afternoon, so we headed back Saturday night to spend some boat time in the slip - for dinner in the cockpit, Netflix movie in the cabin, and removing about 100 lb of unneeded gear this morning and otherwise securing the boat for 2 weeks idle in the slip. After such a long wait this season awaiting repairs, even time in the slip was much appreciated.

My wife and I will be in the midwest for the next 2 weeks for my work and to care for her elderly parents. We hope for good weather starting June 15 when we return. Meanwhile I'll live vicariously through all of your posts.
Glad you got your boat in and it’s in its proper place.

·
Registered
941 Posts
We had a great sailing weekend! We departed Friday afternoon for Annapolis. Sailed on a broad reach from the Patapsco to Sandy Point then motored the rest of the way when the wind died. We had hoped to get a mooring in the main harbor but by 5 pm it was already jam packed so we went around to Back Creek and grabbed a mooring off Jabins. It turned out that was actually a good thing, because the brisk winds out of the NE on Saturday had boats in the main harbor hobby-horsing all over. My wife had a Spinsheet writers brunch Saturday morning so I took the girls to the playground and then walked around town and got ice cream. The girls loved seeing the sights of Annapolis although they were a little concerned that the pirate tour boat that comes up ego alley might have real pirates aboard. We took the water taxi back to the boat late afternoon and rounding the point from Spa to Back creeks the taxi took a couple of big waves over the bow, which luckily the girls thought was fun. Sunday morning we were up early and headed back to Baltimore. After motoring through the Bay Bridge we set sail on a close reach, both sails reefed, making 7-8 knots on 18-25 knots of wind. A little more raucous than we'd normally want to do with the girls, but they did great, just relaxing in the cockpit tethered in. With sails reefed and the cockpit curtains down, it was actually a really comfortable and fun sail, and good to get some added heavy air practice.

·
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
We had a great sailing weekend! We departed Friday afternoon for Annapolis. Sailed on a broad reach from the Patapsco to Sandy Point then motored the rest of the way when the wind died. We had hoped to get a mooring in the main harbor but by 5 pm it was already jam packed so we went around to Back Creek and grabbed a mooring off Jabins. It turned out that was actually a good thing, because the brisk winds out of the NE on Saturday had boats in the main harbor hobby-horsing all over. My wife had a Spinsheet writers brunch Saturday morning so I took the girls to the playground and then walked around town and got ice cream. The girls loved seeing the sights of Annapolis although they were a little concerned that the pirate tour boat that comes up ego alley might have real pirates aboard. We took the water taxi back to the boat late afternoon and rounding the point from Spa to Back creeks the taxi took a couple of big waves over the bow, which luckily the girls thought was fun. Sunday morning we were up early and headed back to Baltimore. After motoring through the Bay Bridge we set sail on a close reach, both sails reefed, making 7-8 knots on 18-25 knots of wind. A little more raucous than we'd normally want to do with the girls, but they did great, just relaxing in the cockpit tethered in. With sails reefed and the cockpit curtains down, it was actually a really comfortable and fun sail, and good to get some added heavy air practice.

Sounds like a great time
Let’s get together soon.

181 - 200 of 520 Posts