SailNet Community banner

221 - 240 of 520 Posts

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Here is the yearly Kent Narrows report: We transited the Narrows last Thursday at mid-tide and didn't see less than 9.5 feet at any point between the northern and southern ends of the channel. This is thanks to the dredging completed last fall. Your mileage may vary, but depth appears to have been eliminated as a limiting factor, at least until it silts in again. It's still not an area I'm keen to pass through on weekends between Memorial and Labor days or when there's a stiff breeze against the beam, but on a windless weekday it was perfectly fine.
And remember those who have the current at the bridge go first when it opens.....unless you are a powerboat.

Thanks for the report Bryan

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Ah, as some of you know I'm accustomed to pretty strong currents from my Delaware River days, but I had totally forgotten about currents near the Bay Bridge. That, plus acceleration of both air and water at the narrowing area near the bridge, explains the crazy sea state.
...We anchored behind Dobbins with 5 other, larger, sailboats for the night. In retrospect. that was not the best choice for calm waters. It was, however, a good choice for a Fresh breeze in the v berth...a nice trade off. Our Spade held firm..And had dug pretty deep. Another boat dragged twice that night. I am going to have to explore deeper into the Magothy....
Like chef recommended, we stayed in Eagle Cove (aka horse farm) where it's calmer. It was deceptively calm, and we didn't realize the strength of the breeze until I noticed the stretch in our nylon rode. We've also stayed in the cove behind it when it was too crowded, but this time we arrived late and most of the day trippers were gone, leaving plenty of space to anchor.

We've stayed off Dobbins Island before, and would have stopped there for the day if we had the dog and had arrived earlier, since it's a good beach for exercising the dog (and publicly accessible up to the high water posts). But we would have moved over to Eagle Cove for the evening for the reasons that you discovered. We noticed 5 or 6 sailboat masts over there on our way in. Since my son watched my dog at home, so we went straight to Eagle Cove.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
That area tends to compete with a handful of others for peak Chesapeake Bay knuckleheadism. Had the conditions been more benign over the weekend, you would have seen the entire area from the mouth of the Magothy down to Sandy Point light completely packed with small fishing boats. At least when they anchor they're relatively easy to dodge compared to when they zig zag all over. My favorite response heard on channel 16 this weekend was "he must be hungry to be out fishing in these conditions".
What gets me is the two sets of "Float Free Channel" markers. They've got two outer markers on either side of the outer channel way out about halfway to Baltimore Light, and two more closer in near lights #2 and 3. It's obvious that there should be no crab pots anywhere in the channel between these four well-placed markers. And while you'll find no crab right near the markers, the channel area between the two sets of markers always has crab pots. It's as if they think that they're far enough away from the markers, even though they're dropping their pots right in the channel, which the markers clearly say not to do.

Reactions: chef2sail

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
What gets me is the two sets of "Float Free Channel" markers. They've got two outer markers on either side of the outer channel way out about halfway to Baltimore Light, and two more closer in near lights #2 and 3. It's obvious that there should be no crab pots anywhere in the channel between these four well-placed markers. And while you'll find no crab right near the markers, the channel area between the two sets of markers always has crab pots. It's as if they think that they're far enough away from the markers, even though they're dropping their pots right in the channel, which the markers clearly say not to do.
So true. Whitehall Bay is another one like that.

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Ah, as some of you know I'm accustomed to pretty strong currents from my Delaware River days, but I had totally forgotten about currents near the Bay Bridge. That, plus acceleration of both air and water at the narrowing area near the bridge, explains the crazy sea state.

Like chef recommended, we stayed in Eagle Cove (aka horse farm) where it's calmer. It was deceptively calm, and we didn't realize the strength of the breeze until I noticed the stretch in our nylon rode. We've also stayed in the cove behind it when it was too crowded, but this time we arrived late and most of the day trippers were gone, leaving plenty of space to anchor.

We've stayed off Dobbins Island before, and would have stopped there for the day if we had the dog and had arrived earlier, since it's a good beach for exercising the dog (and publicly accessible up to the high water posts). But we would have moved over to Eagle Cove for the evening for the reasons that you discovered. We noticed 5 or 6 sailboat masts over there on our way in. Since my son watched my dog at home, so we went straight to Eagle Cove.
To continue to beat the dead horse....the area on the north side of the bridge has two larger river mouths emptying which also causes/ funnels wind , the Magothy and more importantly Chester. These winds are apparent when your a miles out in the Bay .

The Chester has quite a current also and it’s mouth can be a quite jarring experience around the Love Pt marker to the Cedar Point area. Wind against current here can make it a teeth rattling ride with the sea state being steep and short interval. Ebb tide and strong W-NW wind direction of 15-20 knots .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like I wasn't the only one out there. Sailed a new-to-me Bristol 29.9 out of the Patapsco and home to Herring Bay on Saturday. Rhumb line was 45 nm but I swear we must have sailed 60, tacking across the southerly wind. I did take a short video just north of Bay Bridge but its a .MOV file I can't post here, unfortunately.

Anyway, it was a great sail and I was tickled to death at how well the boat did. With balanced sails, she sailed herself for mile after mile, no autopilot, no wheel lock, no helmsman, close hauled into three foot waves. Unbelievable.

Can't wait to get her back out there!

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Sounds like I wasn't the only one out there. Sailed a new-to-me Bristol 29.9 out of the Patapsco and home to Herring Bay on Saturday. Rhumb line was 45 nm but I swear we must have sailed 60, tacking across the southerly wind. I did take a short video just north of Bay Bridge but its a .MOV file I can't post here, unfortunately.

Anyway, it was a great sail and I was tickled to death at how well the boat did. With balanced sails, she sailed herself for mile after mile, no autopilot, no wheel lock, no helmsman, close hauled into three foot waves. Unbelievable.

Sounds like a fun ride. Good to see you made it back safely.

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #228

So how many hours did that take you?

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Looking like a perfect weekend setting up on the water...except light winds.
May find a nice anchorage on the eastern side a dinghy about

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Unfortunately work gets in the way, but maybe a Friday night sail in order as we get to the marina by 4 and it’s close to a full moon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did anyone else see the historic steel ship, on Saturday,6-15 around noon, on the North side of the bridge , heading toward Baltimore with the Japanese Zero doing strafing runs???
I assume that someone was making a movie.
What a fantastic sight!!! The Zero made one turn right over us!
Anyone know what movie?
Patrick

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #235

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Forecast for Saturday looking even better with a little more wind albeit only 12 knots
Possibly a Cacaway on the Chester Day or Wye River. 80 with low humidity lows in low 60s

Looking to get out after our trip up north

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Forecast for Saturday looking even better with a little more wind albeit only 12 knots
Possibly a Cacaway on the Chester Day or Wye River. 80 with low humidity lows in low 60s

Looking to get out after our trip up north
If all goes well we'll be at Cacaway Friday evening, departing after lunch Saturday. I'm keeping an eye on the weather, though, since 4 footers are now forecast and that may be more than I want to go out in with the dog on board. Unfortunately we can't stay over on Saturday night, so it's either leave Friday or just do a daysail on Saturday.

ANZ539-210800-
Chester River to Queenstown MD-
737 PM EDT Thu Jun 20 2019

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON

TONIGHT
W winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts to 20 kt. Waves 1 to 2 ft.
Isolated tstms this evening. A chance of showers.

FRI
NW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts to 30 kt. Waves 4 ft.

FRI NIGHT
NW winds 10 to 15 kt. Gusts up to 25 kt until early
morning. Waves 2 to 3 ft.

·
12,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
If all goes well we'll be at Cacaway Friday evening, departing after lunch Saturday. I'm keeping an eye on the weather, though, since 4 footers are now forecast and that may be more than I want to go out in with the dog on board. Unfortunately we can't stay over on Saturday night, so it's either leave Friday or just do a daysail on Saturday.
You’d be pretty pretty protected from the NW and N if you go deep in the anchorage past the opening between the island and dock.

Down wind out of RH and till the curve in the Chester , crossvthe beam till the neck , fighting it to Greys Inn , the protected.

We have even gone further up the Eastern Fork to Lovely Cove . Very protected and beautiful there.

Reef down for the gusts.Have fun. May see you on Saturday

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Open transom means we probably get repeatedly pooped in 4 foot breaking chop. (We got pooped once last week.) Might be a little messy, especially with wind opposing current. I do have a little plastic panel that I can slip in to minimize the water in the cockpit, but the chop might even be high enough to reach the dinghy on the davits. I've done 6' swells at nighttime on a charter in Grenada, but never 4 foot breaking chop in this boat. Hopefully it dies down in the afternoon.

We'll probably take a drive down Eastern Neck with binoculars to look at the sea state, then make a decision whether to head out. Also a good place to take the dog out on a long walk before we head out.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Open transom means we probably get repeatedly pooped in 4 foot breaking chop. (We got pooped once last week.) Might be a little messy, especially with wind opposing current. I do have a little plastic panel that I can slip in to minimize the water in the cockpit, but the chop might even be high enough to reach the dinghy on the davits. I've done 6' swells at nighttime on a charter in Grenada, but never 4 foot breaking chop in this boat. Hopefully it dies down in the afternoon.

We'll probably take a drive down Eastern Neck with binoculars to look at the sea state, then make a decision whether to head out. Also a good place to take the dog out on a long walk before we head out.
I've never had a wave enter the cockpit of our open transom C36 and I've been out in as nasty weather as you are likely to encounter on the Chesapeake.

221 - 240 of 520 Posts