SailNet Community banner

261 - 280 of 520 Posts

·
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
We had a mellow day. Replaced one of the bilge pump switch which I bought at West Marine last night ( ran into JeffH and a few laughs, he’s looking younger ) . Did inside boat projects 🧽 no then headed to the movies to see “Yesterday” . Good stories. Excellent music

tomorrow looks like a great sailing day with steady W to WNW 15 gusts to 25. Temps high 80s with dropping humidity. Perfect for N -S oriented runs. May do Swan Creek and Back .....or 😄😄😄😄😄😄

·
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Beautiful morning temp 80 but the breeze is great and NO humidity. Setting up for a good sailing day. Will be warm when we go back in but without the humidity, bearable. But it’s July on the Chessie. And there is good wind nowadays forecast to increase during the day

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Worked on my boat yesterday. Setup an AC unit in the companion way. While it wasn't great, it was a lot better than not having it. I was at least able to knock off a project from my list. Looking forward to my refit being completed. By the time I left, the inside temp was 81, but outside was mid 90s.

Just as I was packing up to head back to the house, it started pouring down heavy hard rain. I got a bit soaked, but 10 minutes away from the marina, it hadn't rained at all. Should have waited in the boat for the rain to pass. Oh well. It was a good day.

·
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Great sail today. We cruised back and forth from the Severn to Rock Hall and back on just a furled jib. 10 steady but gusts in the mid 20s. We just wanted to take it easy so be cut down on the sail area, but going south we still did 6.5-7.2.

Anchored in Whitehall Bay and took a nap and were amused by a Sailtime Marlow with a plow anchor creating furrows in the bottom with poor anchoring technique. He tried at least 12 times. Other boats pulled up anchors to get out of his way. Finally he tried upwind of us. I was going to say something but Donna beat me to the punch. She walked up to the bow and yelled to him, try someplace else.

I had to laugh.....hard.

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Evening sail to Eagle Cove on the Magothy. Dinner and relaxing. Took a vacation day for tomorrow. Wind scoop set up in V-berth is funneling ample air through the boat. No bugs, thanks to the breeze.

The sail over was lively in 10-15 kts. Started as a broad reach, but wind shifted and became a hard beat for a short while. Passed through the channel in front of a cruise ship, but we passed with 10 minutes to spare. Still, had to be extra careful not to get caught in irons, and were ready to fire up the motor in case. He was doing 14-15 kts.

On the way into Magothy we passed @T37Chef heading the other way on Windgeist. We chatted briefly on VHF.

·
Administrator
9,058 Posts
I had a chef2sail sighting. As some of you know I work one night a week at the Annapolis West Marine. (I still have my day job but there are great employee discounts that are very helpful when you own and are restoring an old boat plus I enjoy my fellow staff and working with folks who come in to do a project.) Friday I was at the service counter and who should walk in but Dave (chef2sail) himself. It was fun seeing him and having a brief chance to catch up a bit. (Dave- I hope the shower strum box project worked out for you.)

Regards,
Jeff

·
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
I had a chef2sail sighting. As some of you know I work one night a week at the Annapolis West Marine. (I still have my day job but there are great employee discounts that are very helpful when you own and are restoring an old boat plus I enjoy my fellow staff and working with folks who come in to do a project.) Friday I was at the service counter and who should walk in but Dave (chef2sail) himself. It was fun seeing him and having a brief chance to catch up a bit. (Dave- I hope the shower strum box project worked out for you.)

Regards,
Jeff
Perfect advice. Found the proper low profile plastic butter container at home along with good screen. Savings....$45.

Great to see you too.

Your writing about the solo sailing association fascinates me.

·
Administrator
9,058 Posts
Your writing about the solo sailing association fascinates me.
Thank you. I have been enjoying working on the board of CHESSS (Chesapeake Shorthanded Sailing Society) to get it going and sailing with CHESSS folks. I also have been getting a kick out of writing the various articles for Spinsheet.

Jeff

Reactions: T37Chef

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,242 Posts
I haven't been here much... Lots to catch up on and lots going on. A few comments to share from reading some of the recent posts...

Rick... Was good to see you Sunday even if I was late returning you hail on the radio. We had a wonderful sail home Sunday... The sunset was stunning

The Kent Narrows channel is good... I don't recall seeing anything less than 9 feet on the North channel.

Queenstown Creek, has become a favorite of ours. Yeah its skinny amd narrow but once in it does open up and we find it quit nice. Yes, I ran aground there years ago... I recall hanging on the end of the boom for a good hour that day as we dug a nice round hole somewhere off the G3 I think.

Need to meet my Castle Harbor mate... I'll PM you my mobile number

This past Saturday, we got smacked by three storms, the last near Baltimore Light was a SOB. I should have more prepared and conservative with the sail plan, usually I am but... Nonetheless all was fine, need some repairs to the headsail and a new dodger. SMH at myself.

Bad weekend on the bay, at least three people lost their lives, probably four... Sadly 🙏

Rick... I heard the chatter of the rescue by the Bay Bridge, the weekend before was it? Sounded like 5 non englsh speaking folks 18' center console capsized and were quickly picked up by two charter fishing vessels.

Its been a awesome year of sailing so far... Wish I could go even more often. Unfortunately, no extended sails this year. At least not this summer, maaayyybbbeee in the Fall.

See y'all folks out there... Cheers

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,402 Posts
Hey, has anyone raised the Annapolis SeaTow radio check channel (27) this season? Or Oxford (26)? I usually can get a response from out in the bay from Herring Bay area, but not this year. Tried both of channels from a friend's boat yesterday with no result either.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Hey, has anyone raised the Annapolis SeaTow radio check channel (27) this season? Or Oxford (26)? I usually can get a response from out in the bay from Herring Bay area, but not this year. Tried both of channels from a friend's boat yesterday with no result either.
Some guy named RhythmDoctor (actually, me) asked the same question a few days ago:

VHF - Transmitting Issue (?) - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

It's been down all season, with no notification that I can find anywhere from SeaTow. IMO it's definitely a hazard for them to still be promoting their service while it's out of commission for a long time.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
...This past Saturday, we got smacked by three storms, the last near Baltimore Light was a SOB. I should have more prepared and conservative with the sail plan, usually I am but... Nonetheless all was fine, need some repairs to the headsail and a new dodger. SMH at myself.

Bad weekend on the bay, at least three people lost their lives, probably four... Sadly 🙏

Rick... I heard the chatter of the rescue by the Bay Bridge, the weekend before was it? Sounded like 5 non englsh speaking folks 18' center console capsized and were quickly picked up by two charter fishing vessels.
Nice to see you back here again!

I'm glad I stayed in on Saturday. Not ready to get clobbered yet.

The weekend before was the one with 40+ northerlies on Friday. I saw news reports of that day's rescue after the fact, and immediately thought of you.

There was quite a bit of chatter this past Sunday afternoon about a capsized boat near the power plant on Patapsco (I think), but no word of any people sighted. (Hopefully they were picked up very quickly.) There were follow-up messages yesterday about a "debris field" in the same general vicinity (I think), but never heard about any rescues or fatalities.

There's been some rough weather this year, and unfortunately the casualty rate may trend with that. I picked a good time to have my boat out for repairs April-May. Even though I got off to a very late start this season, we've already had more good weekend sailing weather than all of last year (when I didn't even have to reef once).

·
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
You must have picked some bad days to go out. We had a great spring sailing season and logged the second most miles we ever had. It was a late start for some as it rained in March slowing many of the yards from splashing their boats. It was quiet in April and May with fewer boats than normal out. The Annapolis racers are out every weekend though off the Severn and Whitehall Bay.

Course our trip north was epic for us with 19 out of 20 days of sailing and we watched lots of T storms down here in the Chessie while we were in the LI Sound.

Let’s hope the heat breaks as that’s about the only thing besides fog that keeps us from going out. We’ve learned to reef down when there are epic winds and because of our marinas location can stay out of the open Bay and just sail the Severn. Hopefully you can get out and enjoy your boat more.

The two men on Stony Creek in the 15 foot aluminum boat crabbing perished as did the kayaker on Spa Creek who was not wearing a life jacket.

·
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #278
I haven't been here much... Lots to catch up on and lots going on. A few comments to share from reading some of the recent posts...

Rick... Was good to see you Sunday even if I was late returning you hail on the radio. We had a wonderful sail home Sunday... The sunset was stunning

The Kent Narrows channel is good... I don't recall seeing anything less than 9 feet on the North channel.

Queenstown Creek, has become a favorite of ours. Yeah its skinny amd narrow but once in it does open up and we find it quit nice. Yes, I ran aground there years ago... I recall hanging on the end of the boom for a good hour that day as we dug a nice round hole somewhere off the G3 I think.

Need to meet my Castle Harbor mate... I'll PM you my mobile number

This past Saturday, we got smacked by three storms, the last near Baltimore Light was a SOB. I should have more prepared and conservative with the sail plan, usually I am but... Nonetheless all was fine, need some repairs to the headsail and a new dodger. SMH at myself.

Its been a awesome year of sailing so far... Wish I could go even more often. Unfortunately, no extended sails this year. At least not this summer, maaayyybbbeee in the Fall.

See y'all folks out there... Cheers
Glad to see you are getting out and are liking Castle Harbor. It’s a good place in a great location.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The entrance to Spa Creek and Horn Point can be deceptively nasty. It’s wide open to the fetch of the bay and the depth drops very rapidly causing waves to build up at the shallows. It’s especially susceptible to winds with a northerly or northeasterly component, but even a busy weekend with a lot of powerboat wakes can really stir things up.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,402 Posts
It's been down all season, with no notification that I can find anywhere from SeaTow. IMO it's definitely a hazard for them to still be promoting their service while it's out of commission for a long time.
I agree it's irresponsible to not put some kind of notice up on their site if the service is down. As it is, one can easily start chasing nonexistent radio problems.

261 - 280 of 520 Posts