SailNet Community banner

421 - 440 of 520 Posts

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
Funny we had a great broad reach up to Rock Hall
Anchored in Swan Creek. Took a great dinghy ride for 2 hours.

Dinner tonight is sesame tuna on the grill with giant portobello grilled with balsamic vinegar and stuffed with Gorgonzola cheese, and baked potato salad. Cakebread Pinot to accompany.

Reactions: SanderO

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Anchored back in Swan Creek enjoying our lox, bagels and Kona coffee

For those who wonder about depths we saw 8.5 to 8 plus at MLW right down the middle of the creek past the white marker, the duck blind, and the horse farm. There was a 1.5 extra ft high tide. I mention this as many wonder how far back they can go on the creek. Shallows up on the sides.

Normally there are a lot of people anchored here so that’s a way to get back away from any raft ups. There were only about 25 boats here last night. Plenty of room for 150 more.

Sunset the conches came out .

·
Registered
942 Posts
This weekend we participated in what has become an annual tradition of taking a slip at the Anchorage Marina in Baltimore for the second weekend in September, which is Defenders Day at Fort McHenry. The floating marina pool is still open (surprisingly they keep it open into early October!) and that was a lot of fun for the kids. Saturday night they had a Jimmy Buffet cover band at the marina and we stayed on their poolside deck area to watch the fireworks being shot off from the Fort. The Defenders Day fireworks are almost as good as a show as the 4th of July but without the heat and crowds.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Anyone have any interesting plans for this weekend? Doesn’t look like there will be much wind but looks like some nice late summer weekend weather with warm days and cool nights. I’m sure we’re headed out somewhere.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We will get to our boat on the Corrotoman Saturday afternoon. Looks like the winds will urge us north for a few days and then steer us back home for a few days. Planning to spend most nights anchored. There's a good chance we will get up the Choptank or possibly over to Onancock. I would like to be able to stop at Tangier and have some she crab soup and visit Milton Parks. Maybe a gunkholing trip up the Potomac.

Yeah, I've got plans.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Last Saturday we attended a slipholders' party at the marina (free crabs!) which ended too late to head out, so we slept in the slip. On Sunday we did a daysail to Bodkin Creek area and back. Wind was forecast from N, so we had a nice close-hauled sail going out. We hove to for lunch, then went to turn around. But by that time the wind had shifted from the EAST, so our expected easy reach back to Rock Hall didn't materialize. It took a LONG time to get back, and the wife was not pleased. (My fault, I should have anticipated this and fired up the motor sooner.)

Our target has always been to sail every other weekend, and we've been at the boat every weekend for quite awhile, so we're taking a break this weekend, especially with the lousy wind forecast Saturday and my flight to Milwaukee Sunday preventing a Sunday afternoon sail. Instead we're driving down to Virginia to visit my 87 year old father.

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
We will be on our fall vacation for 10 days starting Thursday.

One scenario has us going north of the bridge to Worton/ Havre de Grace / Chesapeake City/ Georgetown/ Chester / ending in Rock Hall . Spending two nights in a marina in Havre de Grace and 1 night in Rock Hall on a mooring so we can use the dinghy dock for free as Rock Hall is not really cruiser friendly. All other nights at anchor

Second scenario is Solomon’s/ Cambridge/ Oxford/ St Micheals ( San Domingo way) / Wye/ Annapolis/ and ending in Rock Hall. Two nights in Spring Cove Marina and one night again on a mooring in Rock Hall. All other nights at anchor.

6Hopefully we get some of the weather that was around this week.

Personally we get enough sailing time so when there isn’t enough wind we don’t have an issue with traveling by motor. Damn thing is so miserly anyway. Being on the boat gets us together without being in our normal stuff and there is no substitute at home for having dinner in the cockpit or looking over the water in a quiet beautiful place. We will have plenty of time all winter to be home.

We will be ending our season this year one month early about the end of October and winterizing Haleakula then. In November I have a total knee replacement scheduled and I will be laid up from doing boat stuff for at least 6 weeks so we will do the prudent thing and winterize early.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,242 Posts
There is free dockage in Rockhall... Between Watermans and the Tiki Bard pkace with the insanely huge margaritas... No power or water but...

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
There is free dockage in Rockhall... Between Watermans and the Tiki Bard pkace with the insanely huge margaritas... No power or water but...
Stayed there one afternoon to eat at Watermans and walk around.
Just watch the wind from the south and consider using a fender board

Here is the Active Captain write up:

A high bulkhead that is available to cruisers free for overnight. There is a 30 amp plug in the middle of the bulkhead on a light post. Note that you do not want to use this free bulkhead when the wind is blowing from the south. Waves roll in the harbor on due south wind and you will get slammed here. All other winds are good.

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
Spent the morning adding 2” of memory foam to all the sleeping cushions. JoAnnes had and insane sale on HD foam

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Heading out for 10 days tomorrow. First stop is Solomon’s for 3 nights. This trip will be a pretty mellow one as I am limited by my knee. Will probably anchor the first night and then 2 nights at Spring Cove. Friday night we are getting crabs at the local seafood take out a few blocks away.

Sunday and Monday is St Micheals. Meeting my wife’s best friend since college on Monday for lunch. Two nights at anchor. Have decided if we are doing the Miles up Eastern Bay or San Domingo Creek up the Choptank

Tuesday up to the Chester and anchoring somewhere in our old stomping ground with

Wednesday a slip / anchor in Georgetown .

Thursday another anchorage somewhere on the beautiful Chester

Friday and Saturday , Rock Hall staying in a marina at North Point. Saturday meeting 4arch and the family .

This is a little different for us as we are staying more in marinas than usual, but will be easier on the knee.

Reactions: ThereYouAre

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
Thursday and Friday were spent in San Domingo Creek behind St Micheals. The anchored shared by one other boat. Beautiful sail down Thursday. Highs around 80. Star filled evenings. Lows in the low 60.

Visited St Micheals yesterday and had an early dinner at Ava’s. A favorite place without the yuppie prices.
Split a meatball , sun dried tomato, spinach fresh mozerella pizza. Ava’s crusts and pizza are so very good. Light baked in a stone oven.

We are sailing out of the Choptank now headed to Solomon’s. Winds 13 gusting to 20 from the SE. a quick comfortable close haul going 6+. Have to get their in time to let Donna off st the Lighthouse restaurant dock where she can walk to the Lotus and get a full Key Lime Pie made by Kim for us to enjoy the next 10 days if it lasts.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
We left Rock Hall for Worton Creek at 1445 yesterday, knowing we had to make good time to arrive during daylight due to heavy density of crab pits. After about 15 minutes motoring, while approaching Swan Point bar at 2200 RPM, my engine lost power. It ran fine at lower RPMs, but I knew this would be temporary as it was classic symptom of an almost-plugged fuel filter. Not wanting to risk getting to Worton after dark if the wind died, we immediately turned around, unfurled the genoa to sail back, and killed the motor to be sure we’d have it if/when we needed it approaching the dock. We sailed all the way to the fairway, at which point I started up the motor in neutral, furled the sail, and coasted to and into the slip in neutral. No need for the motor given the conditions at the time.

I then set about the filter replacement, which reminded me why this is such an awful job that I always want to procrastinate on. Due to limited height under my aft berth, my primary filter is Racor 200 series spin-on type, so instead of opening the head up to pull the filter out (nice for inspection!) I have to spin the whole assembly off in very tight confines, which always ends up spilling more fuel than I like in hard to reach places (in this case I was able to contain it all in an absorbent pad). I also replaced the secondary filter this time, which also spilled stuff because of the engine's tilt.

I am not happy with the bacterial activity in my fuel. Although I have never seen a drop of water in my fuel system , I want to make some improvements in fuel management and/or filtration capability to reduce the presence of bacteria. I'll post some questions or ideas in another thread, and then post a link here.

During the filter replacement I pre-filled all the filters with fresh diesel (still spilled some), pumped the Racor priming pump a few dozen times, and heated my glow plugs for about 60 seconds (divided into 10 second intervals to avoid burning out the glow plugs). The latter operation is done because heating the glow plugs also runs the lift pump, which blows out any remaining air bubbles through the return loop. Everything started up fine, and it ran for several minutes at the dock.

The harbor was closed for a triathlon this morning, so our departure was delayed, and we did an abbreviated daysail mainly to ensure that the filter replacement fixed the actual problem, since running under load is needed to test at realistic fuel consumption rates. Everything ran great and we headed home.

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #434
So far we have had exceptional weather and wind the first 5 days. We are staying on more day in Solomon’s.
Changed plans for Tuesday , back to Choptank to Oxford.

Because Wednesday is supposed to be brutally hot, we are going to one of the Herrington Harbors to use our air con. Never been there. Thursday is a Chester anchorage with Fri/ Sat in Rock Hall.

Looks like fall weather for the weekend😄😄😄

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had never ventured into to Herrington Bay before this year and were looking for a slip for the night for the same reason on the 4th of July and had to go to Herrington Harbor North at Shipwright Harbor Marina and found it to be very nice, although not fancy and stuck up.

People very friendly and marina was easy to get into and the pool did the trick, although most likely closed up by now.

I know the wind was very nice even in the upper bay this past weekend, your trip sounds great...

Jeff

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Glad to hear people are still enjoying the Bay. I'm hoping to get on the water one more time this year, maybe November. My schedule prevents most boat work or play right now.
@chef2sail - I hope your vacation is relaxing, and your recuperation from knee surgery is quick. It'll be rough, but do all the PT they tell you to do! It'll help you heal a lot faster. Also, thanks for the heads up about JoAnn's sale - I'll have to keep an eye out for their discounts in the future.

·
12,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Had never ventured into to Herrington Bay before this year and were looking for a slip for the night for the same reason on the 4th of July and had to go to Herrington Harbor North at Shipwright Harbor Marina and found it to be very nice, although not fancy and stuck up.

People very friendly and marina was easy to get into and the pool did the trick, although most likely closed up by now.

I know the wind was very nice even in the upper bay this past weekend, your trip sounds great...

Jeff

Thanks for the info

I all the years I’ve been on the Bay we have never stopped there by boat. I have lots of friends who keep their boats in both North and South. I have been to their massive storage yard in winter to help survey or look at boats.

They seem to have a first class operation, but it’s mega marina in size. We are leaning to going to the North.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,242 Posts
Excellent short weekend for us on the Chesapeake... Late start Saturday due to work but enjoyed a leisurely sail to Greys Inn Creek. The evening brought a wonderful concert of waterfowl... Especially the Eagles chatting it up. Sunday was such awesome sailing we sailed past Castle Harbor and into the Patapsco before tacking back home. Great food and pehaps a slight hangover Sunday from previous nights Margaritas hahaha. Hoping to get out this coming weekend... If no pop up events we're heading out Saturday morning. Whoop whoop hahaha

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
I just purchased a Hunter 34 (yay!) and am now deciding when/how I'm going to get it from the upper Potomac, where it is now, to Deale. Does anyone have a recommendation for a delivery captain in the area? Also, any ideas on how much something like that might cost would be useful. I might not have time to move it myself before the end of October, when the current slip runs out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just purchased a Hunter 34 (yay!) and am now deciding when/how I'm going to get it from the upper Potomac, where it is now, to Deale. Does anyone have a recommendation for a delivery captain in the area? Also, any ideas on how much something like that might cost would be useful. I might not have time to move it myself before the end of October, when the current slip runs out.

Thanks!
Congrats on the new boat. I don't have a recommendation for a delivery skipper but we'll find you one - there are plenty based in Annapolis.

This is a two day trip if it's done straight through, three or four if he has to stop to sleep. I would budget about $1,000 to get it done, less if you can go as crew.

421 - 440 of 520 Posts