SailNet Community banner

441 - 460 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Thanks for the info

I all the years I’ve been on the Bay we have never stopped there by boat. I have lots of friends who keep their boats in both North and South. I have been to their massive storage yard in winter to help survey or look at boats.

They seem to have a first class operation, but it’s mega marina in size. We are leaning to going to the North.
North is harder to get to, but better options for dining. Dockside is at the marina and an easy walk from North or Shipwright. Skippers Pier is arguably a bit better, but you'll have to get a ride or dinghy over.

Uma Sushi is also good if you are in the mood, just plan on being there a while.

If you can get a ride Jesse Jays is outstanding.

https://www.jessejays.com

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Congrats on the new boat. I don't have a recommendation for a delivery skipper but we'll find you one - there are plenty based in Annapolis.

This is a two day trip if it's done straight through, three or four if he has to stop to sleep. I would budget about $1,000 to get it done, less if you can go as crew.
Unless its way, way up the Potomac, it shouldn't be more than a two day trip for a paid delivery captain.

I've done the return from St Mary's to HHN in a long day many times. If you can get the boat down the mouth of the Potomac to say Point Lookout Marina or Coan River Marina you should be able to make HHN in a long day, likely meaning a pre dawn departure this time of year.

·
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
North is harder to get to, but better options for dining. Dockside is at the marina and an easy walk from North or Shipwright. Skippers Pier is arguably a bit better, but you'll have to get a ride or dinghy over.

Uma Sushi is also good if you are in the mood, just plan on being there a while.

If you can get a ride Jesse Jays is outstanding.

https://www.jessejays.com
Thanks for the recommendations.

Harrington Harbor is a very nice place. Used the marina gas grills to have a dinner of filet, potato salad, and mozerella salad on a picnic table overlooking the marina.

Kim’s Key Lime pie from Solomon’s for dessert

Tomorrow it’s Skippers as we can dinghy over. Glad we are in a marina for the 90+ day tomorrow. We are just going to sleep late hang around the boat , do a few boat projects , go to the pool, take a nap , and stay cool tomorrow.

Thursday we resume with a sail to Rock Hall

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I just purchased a Hunter 34 (yay!) and am now deciding when/how I'm going to get it from the upper Potomac, where it is now, to Deale. Does anyone have a recommendation for a delivery captain in the area? Also, any ideas on how much something like that might cost would be useful. I might not have time to move it myself before the end of October, when the current slip runs out.

Thanks!
Congrats!
Hope she serves you well.
Have my boat in Deale, for now.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
20 Posts
In skiing we'd call it a "sleeper powder day"- that day you head out just 'cuz, and unexpectedly end up in a perfect fresh snowfall, often by yourself.
That was yesterday, sans precip. Wife & I both finished work early, it was so damn hot, and the boat had not been paid a visit in over a week and a half. 12ish from the WNW with nice flat water made it a no-brainer. Enough clouds to keep the sun from roasting too much- strange to feel hot with such a low sun angle now. Damn that breeze felt like a furnace! Unusual for here, given that the NW quadrant usually brings us cooler air.
Beautiful 3-hour sail through a virtually empty Annapolis area, on a hullspeed reach past Thomas Pt, across a few miles, and then back up. Dinner at Cantler's at sunset. Wife's new to sailing this season, and has mostly only experienced the usual Chesapeake single-digit windspeeds. Yesterday was a very nice way to get her more used to steeper heel angles, more weather helm, and having to play the main.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unless its way, way up the Potomac, it shouldn't be more than a two day trip for a paid delivery captain.

I've done the return from St Mary's to HHN in a long day many times. If you can get the boat down the mouth of the Potomac to say Point Lookout Marina or Coan River Marina you should be able to make HHN in a long day, likely meaning a pre dawn departure this time of year.
Right, but the PP said Upper Potomac. There are only two places I know of that can take a sail boat below the Capitol Beltway - Ft. Washington and Occoquan, 90 and 70 miles north of Point Lookout, respectively.

·
Registered
220 Posts
About to go out with my family+parents, but wondering about wind forecast. 10 kt, gusts to 21 kt? The former no problem, but will we get bounced around by the gusts? Should I use smaller headsail? Reef? Guess we'll see...

·
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
The answer is yes if you can’t furl. Or put a reef in main and shake it out if you don’t need it

·
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
We are tied up at North Point Marina in Rock Hall . Hoping to meet up with 4 Arch and his crew of three girls this afternoon. We never have ever taken slips on this side of Rock Hall before. In fact we usually are anchored in Swan Creek but you can’t come ashore with a dinghy over there unless you pay.

North Point is a really nice marina. Especially the owners. Protected from all angles except the very end of the pier at the T head where we are, but only wind coming in the breakwater will get you. Great grounds here and tremendous views of the Bay. Grill areas perfect with Weber Grills and a separate one enclose with a screened in area. Easy walk to Harbor Shack restaurant but far enough away you don’t hear it at the marina so there is peace and quiet. Last night was the first we ever went to Harbor Schack and I gotta say it’s a great place.

We’ve been to Waterman's many times, but not again after coming to Harbor Shack. Servers very friendly, lots of locals we noticed , tons of seating, the food much cheaper and better quality. Great variety too. Fish Tacos if you like them done 3 was and two cooking methods. Regular of blackened style mahi, tuna or cod. Their other American Mexican food looked good too. Whole section of taco, salads quesadillas. They had steamed creams too. We decided on a staple.....crab cakes. Easy to compare with others. Their crab cakes we jumbo and lump...no shells....little filler,.....not doused in Old Bay . 6 oz . You could order 1 or 2. The cream of crab had major crab meat and wasn’t pasty with uncooked roux or thickened with cornstarch. You could get a side salad as one of the two sides which very few places allow. I looked at other restaurants like Pearl and Wolf but were rather high priced for the area and pretty basic. Oh yes if you like fufu coffee Java place looks interesting.

Donna tooted the tram into town yesterday a nice feature, i went later. We had gone through most of our provisions for the week and wanted some fresh fruit. The best part of town....the grocery store......the open air market ( shoe fly pie) ...the ice cream parlor, and the fabric store. The rest of town very much a town whose economy is based on the area marinas and crabbers.

As far as keeping a boat here. Rock Hall has always been the most popular spot for people from Pa and New Jersey. It has some impressive Marinas with outstanding services , number 1 being Harbor Haven. The rates are less than Annapolis. Great access to Chester, Magothy, Patapsco and even Worton. Access to the Miles though the Kent Narrows, Severn and West Rivers. 10 miles to the Bay Bridge. Winds are good for north of the Bridge .

Marinas on the Swan Creek side of Rock Hall are better protected. The open breakwater into the Harbor allows wave action through almost the entire basin except where the new Harbor Haven Marina has started up. Winds from the SW which are predominately the summer winds come shooting through the breakwater. Through binoculars we were watching boats and masts bobbing a lot across the way. There is a free town bulkhead but unless you got good fender boards I wouldn’t stay there.

Nice stopover for a day or two.

·
Registered
84 Posts
About to go out with my family+parents, but wondering about wind forecast. 10 kt, gusts to 21 kt? The former no problem, but will we get bounced around by the gusts? Should I use smaller headsail? Reef? Guess we'll see...
Didn't see what part of bay you are located in but assuming it was similar conditions to Rapp' , i hope you were conservative. We did the Turkey Shoot and it was *honkin* both Sat and Sun!

Our rule is if it looks like wind or gusts in teens, we start with a single reefed main and keep a little jib rolled in. All lines are fed aft, so very easy to let either out. A lot harder to do the opposite with loaded sails. We also find that keeping the boat around 15deg or so, the performance is not really any less than if we go for more canvas and dramatic lean. Of course diff hull shapes react differently to lean and your waterline might want more than ours...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Didn't see what part of bay you are located in but assuming it was similar conditions to Rapp' , i hope you were conservative. We did the Turkey Shoot and it was *honkin* both Sat and Sun!

Our rule is if it looks like wind or gusts in teens, we start with a single reefed main and keep a little jib rolled in. All lines are fed aft, so very easy to let either out. A lot harder to do the opposite with loaded sails. We also find that keeping the boat around 15deg or so, the performance is not really any less than if we go for more canvas and dramatic lean. Of course diff hull shapes react differently to lean and your waterline might want more than ours...
Just south of Baltimore, sounds like it was a bit calmer up here saturday. Didn't really notice much of these supposed 22 kt gusts. There were gusts, but main problem seemed it changed the wind direction, not strength. Lots of wind indicator spinning.. Have hank-on headsail, so started with a 100%, hoisting just that first. But little action so pulled up full main without problems. Wind and waves died down a bit around noon. I only have a 23 ft so steep waves are my main annoyance, also because it's very uncomfortable for my family.

I do have a single line reef for the main, so not a huge deal to do. Though I just installed it and haven't really tested, lol. Hank on I prefer to go conservative, since changing that is obviously a huge hassle! When I did stand in the bow in those waves it was pretty wobbly. Wouldn't want to be replacing sail up there!

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
Update on my Hunter 34 "should I stay or should I go" Potomac vs. Deale decision. Wife and I have decided to winter it where it is, on the Potomac at Washington Sailing Marina. (Which is, yes, "way up the Potomac.") My plan is to take a week off or so in springtime to move it around to Deale. I'm currently deciding between Herrington North and Shipwright, which is owned by Herrington Harbour now and is just next door. I'll be heading to the Annapolis show on Sunday and have a chat with a few marinas and make a decision. They all seem to have "boat show discounts" until the end of the month which can save me a bit of money.

·
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
Anchored behind Cacaway watching the geese circus on a gorgeous evening. Sunset and moonrise coincide (full moon) . Squadrons of geese coming down landing in formation , bit ewhen the land feet first 1/2 of them tumble and squawk. This is happening right beside the boat. Two years ago one hit the mast and landed on the deck stunned. We always come here in October to watch this. The Canadian geese winter on the Chesapeake as it’s the first large water body that doesn’t freeze.

Dinner was grilled mahi, grilled portobello mushrooms with Gorgonzola cheese and Caesar Salad. Grilled pears for dessert.

Cacaway is one of my five favorite anchorages anywhere.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
We motor-sailed down to Annapolis this afternoon. Lots of showers along the way, a couple of them pretty heavy. We were fortunate to grab the one mooring ball that was open. This evening we met up with Dave Skolnick for dinner. It was great catching up with him after not crossing paths for a couple of years. Tomorrow we’ll attend the final day of the Boat Show and help tear down the Lin and Larry Pardey booth at the end of the day. There’s nothing I urgently need to buy, aside from maybe discussing a replacement lens for my trapezoidal V-berth hatch at the Lewmar booth. But we always enjoy wandering around and seeing the boats and gadgets.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I brought all my cockpit canvas in on Saturday afternoon for repairs. Went sailing Sunday and the skies opened up. Anyone who doesn't believe Murphy was a sailor take heed.

To the boat show on Monday. Bought a new hat and a five dollar hot dog. It was a gorgeous day and I was surprised how thin the crowd was. I guess not everyone got Columbus Day off from work.

Enjoyed the afternoon back out on the water. Best time a year for sailing, that is for sure.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
My 2019 season is rapidly drawing to a close. Haulout is tentatively scheduled for high tide on Monday, Oct. 28, with a 2-day trip from Rock Hall to haulout destination on Oct 26-27 or 27-28. My buddy Sean, whose boat in Hull, MA has been featured in numerous YouTube episodes of "Wicked Salty" (he's the Ernest Hemingway lookalike captain), is coming down to join me for the trip. I'm hoping for acceptable weather on two of the three days, though I'm always leery of getting locked into a schedule.

I'm flying home from Milwaukee Saturday morning and heading straight for the boat, hopefully with a noon departure from the dock. I spent a couple hours today emptying the dock box and prepping the boat so we can leave the dock as soon as we arrive at the marina.

I doubt we'll make Chesapeake City before dark, but hopefully will get close enough to the canal, which is lighted. Just in case we decide we need to drop anchor before getting there, I'm scouting out places that might be protected from a northwest wind. Are any of you familiar with Rogue's Harbor on the Elk River?

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/pois/543988

·
12,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
My 2019 season is rapidly drawing to a close. Haulout is tentatively scheduled for high tide on Monday, Oct. 28, with a 2-day trip from Rock Hall to haulout destination on Oct 26-27 or 27-28. My buddy Sean, whose boat in Hull, MA has been featured in numerous YouTube episodes of "Wicked Salty" (he's the Ernest Hemingway lookalike captain), is coming down to join me for the trip. I'm hoping for acceptable weather on two of the three days, though I'm always leery of getting locked into a schedule.

I'm flying home from Milwaukee Saturday morning and heading straight for the boat, hopefully with a noon departure from the dock. I spent a couple hours today emptying the dock box and prepping the boat so we can leave the dock as soon as we arrive at the marina.

I doubt we'll make Chesapeake City before dark, but hopefully will get close enough to the canal, which is lighted. Just in case we decide we need to drop anchor before getting there, I'm scouting out places that might be protected from a northwest wind. Are any of you familiar with Rogue's Harbor on the Elk River?

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/pois/543988
pretty shallow there , never seen boats anchored there. Also close to channel.

We once anchored just south of Jacobs nose just outside the yacht clubs mooring field when A T Storm was imminent. That’s just south of Rouges Cove area.

You could also sneak up to the north shore opposite Veasy Cove on the Bohemia. Near Locust Point Marina and the Yacht CLub. We done that and you be protected from N and NW plus out of the big ship wash

Maybe better off continuing to to Chesapeake City as it is well lit after Town Point as is CC.

Expect to see northern boats going south anchored there . We were just in CC and lots of Canadian boats were there.
Expect

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I did make it in one day from Knapps Narrows to Chesapeake City a few years ago. The sunset on a moonless night as I approached Turkey Point, but the shipping channel is well marked so I stayed just outside the channel to stay clear of the well lighted ships, buoy to buoy then into the well lighted canal.

The canal ebb current was against me, but the flood would be with me just before sunrise, so I took a nap in Chesapeake City and continued through the canal to the Delaware and with the flood current to Essington PA arriving before noon.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Last year at this time I had a great ride on a Melges 24 returning the boat from Baltimore to Gibson Island. I apparently had one too many beers on Saturday night at the after race party because I told my friend that I'd help him move it back again this year. (He and his crew won the Baltimore Harbor Cup again this year). Yesterday was not the kind of day to spend on a 24ft open cockpit boat but we made the best of it. Under jib alone we were seeing 11kts as we surfed down the bigger waves. Thank God for quality foul weather gear!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Haul-out at Essington PA (Fox Grove Marina) schedule for a 7.5ft high tide at 1:30 on Monday October 28.

Only a handful of day sails this year.

This is the earliest haul-out I have had for at least 10 years. I usually haul-out late November.

This years work schedule has been good for the wallet but not good for sailing and November is going to leave me with no time for sailing.

Semi-retired is not the same as retired. I have promised myself that 2020 will be part time teaching and no new projects, so I will be free to sail long weekends April, May and September, October with longer sails June, July and August.

So how do others handle the transition from work to retirement. Not picking up the phone, changing the phone number, moving with no forwarding address, learning to say NO?

441 - 460 of 520 Posts