SailNet Community banner

501 - 520 of 520 Posts

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
Speedy recovery on the knee surgery... It may be in my future too.
Thanks Jeff....

Looking forward to meetin again when we travel north to the LI Sound next year😄😄😄

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Boat’s on the hard, so season’s over. Now trying to get up the nerve to replace antifreeze on the freshwater side (nervous about air pockets), then oil change and winterization of raw water, potable water, and A/C, and set up winter cover.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Rick it will be below freezing Friday night at Philadelphia International

I left a few inches of water in my bilge last winter which trapped and damaged the bilge pump when it froze. This year I pumped and sponged out most of the few inches of rainwater left in the bilge, and dumped in about a cup of pine-sol to make it smell better.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I saw that forecast. I’m in Milwaukee this week, but am planning to head straight to the boat after landing Friday. Bilge is dry, but need to drain muffler and a few other things. I’ll also stick in a couple drop lights for the night.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Keeping an eye on the weather, it now looks to be in the 20s for four nights next week. Ugh. Looks like I'll need to ditch my plans to flush cooling system, replace antifreeze, and even have to postpone my normal oil change until next spring. I'll need to get antifreeze in everything I can Friday night or I'll regret it.

It seems like winter is coming on much sooner than past years.

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
I'm planning to move our boat next Spring from the upper Potomac in Alexandria, to Deale, and was wondering if anyone has some advice on the trip.

From what I can tell, it seems like it should take about 3-5 days depending on weather and our pace. A couple of itineraries that might work are:

Alexandria > Port Tobacco > Coles Point > Solomons > Deale
- or -
Alexandria > Colonial Beach > St. Mary's > Solomons > Deale

Any ideas or recommendations are very welcome. For example, I've heard the mouth of the Potomac can be rough. The timeframe is going to be late March, so it will probably also be pretty cold still. TIA

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
I'm planning to move our boat next Spring from the upper Potomac in Alexandria, to Deale, and was wondering if anyone has some advice on the trip.

From what I can tell, it seems like it should take about 3-5 days depending on weather and our pace. A couple of itineraries that might work are:

Alexandria > Port Tobacco > Coles Point > Solomons > Deale
- or -
Alexandria > Colonial Beach > St. Mary's > Solomons > Deale

Any ideas or recommendations are very welcome. For example, I've heard the mouth of the Potomac can be rough. The timeframe is going to be late March, so it will probably also be pretty cold still. TIA

Book it being cold. Water temps in March in the high 30s.
Port Tobacco, St Mary’s, Solomon’s, Deal doable.

Each leg approx 30-50 miles. You will need to look for protection from where ever winds are blowing. Staying north shore of Potomac will help so you don’t have to cross the Potomac Mouth.

To consider:
1- don’t fight current on Potomac if possible. Play them.
2- you don’t have a weather window day. You will face at least one day with northern component winds as fronts move through
3- March is noreeaster month
4- make sure your engine is well checked out
5- you are in cold water for 4-5 days, dress appropriately and meals to
Warm you up
6- assuming you are anchoring...will be cold, if not. Heck on wether facilities are open already

It has been my experience March is a cold month with April being a transition month. I would delay till April. Some of the biggest snow storms and nor’easters occur in March. If you plan it for then be flexible. To get 4-5 days good weather straight in March is not realistic. . Maybe break up the trip into two weekends.

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #508 (Edited)
Lastly of course if you have help you could go through the night and do it in one shot.

80 miles to St Mary’s River - 50 Port Tobacco
60 miles to Deal- 40 to Solomon’s

Count on averaging 5 knots.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
20 Posts
Highly recommend April vs March. Good probability of 60deg days and fair weather, even early April. March on the Bay is pretty ugly; it really does become an entirely different body of water across the span of just a week or 2. I did Deltaville-Annapolis the 1st weekend of April this year, and had a great delivery. If you can afford any flexibility, definitely bias towards April.

I've also done Colonial Beach-Annapolis- that's 2 days, so make it 3 for you? 5 seems excessive, weather notwithstanding.
My day 1 is 30nm CB to Pt Lookout or Jutland creek. Ride the ebb all the way down. Wouldn't bother with the time to go up to St Mary's, esp if just for a sleepstop. You're coming from ~Alexandria so add a day, play the current both days otherwise you have no choice but to fight it for at least part.
Day 2 65nm Pt Lookout-Annapolis. Underway before sunrise, arrive at sunset. Peeling off at Deale shortens that by almost 4H, so you can arrive for early cocktails. Stopping at Solomons only makes sense if you have to hit your destination mid-day vs late afternoon.

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
Highly recommend April vs March. Good probability of 60deg days and fair weather, even early April. March on the Bay is pretty ugly; it really does become an entirely different body of water across the span of just a week or 2. I did Deltaville-Annapolis the 1st weekend of April this year, and had a great delivery. If you can afford any flexibility, definitely bias towards April.

I've also done Colonial Beach-Annapolis- that's 2 days, so make it 3 for you? 5 seems excessive, weather notwithstanding.
My day 1 is 30nm CB to Pt Lookout or Jutland creek. Ride the ebb all the way down. Wouldn't bother with the time to go up to St Mary's, esp if just for a sleepstop. You're coming from ~Alexandria so add a day, play the current both days otherwise you have no choice but to fight it for at least part.
Day 2 65nm Pt Lookout-Annapolis. Underway before sunrise, arrive at sunset. Peeling off at Deale shortens that by almost 4H, so you can arrive for early cocktails. Stopping at Solomons only makes sense if you have to hit your destination mid-day vs late afternoon.
84 miles to Pt Lookout is not doable. Even with a 2 knot assist for 6 hours as you’ll fight the current then. That’s why I suggested St Mary or Smith Creek even. Figure averaging 5 knots. Bite it off in chunks you can. Course if you have help and can go at night....you can do it more quickly.

Doing the Potomac from Alexandria is far different than Deltaville.

The river in spring will also have lots of debris. I wouldn’t go at night.

·
Registered
1988 Pearson 31 WK
20 Posts
"I've also done Colonial Beach-Annapolis- that's 2 days, so make it 3 for you? 5 seems excessive, weather notwithstanding.
My day 1 is 30nm CB to Pt Lookout or Jutland creek. Ride the ebb all the way down. Wouldn't bother with the time to go up to St Mary's, esp if just for a sleepstop. You're coming from ~Alexandria so add a day, play the current both days otherwise you have no choice but to fight it for at least part."

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
"I've also done Colonial Beach-Annapolis- that's 2 days, so make it 3 for you? 5 seems excessive, weather notwithstanding.
My day 1 is 30nm CB to Pt Lookout or Jutland creek. Ride the ebb all the way down. Wouldn't bother with the time to go up to St Mary's, esp if just for a sleepstop. You're coming from ~Alexandria so add a day, play the current both days otherwise you have no choice but to fight it for at least part."
We agree then. March weather sucks.

Lucky to get 3 good days in a row.

If he can get to the Potomac Mouth in 2 days and get good weather., he could make Deal in one long 50 mile day. Solomon’s is only a duck in place.

I suggested St Mary’s or Smith Creek as both are easy to find a place out of the wind in a dying afternoon sun.

Being realistic 3-4 days if no issues and good wealthier.
4 -5 days , planning for contingencies.

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
Thanks guys. I can probably delay to April. I don’t relish that weather either. I appreciate the advice.

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
Now that I have a chance to look more closely at y'all's suggestions, I think the plan will be to go in mid to late April.

Day 1: Alexandria to Colonial Beach
Day 2: Colonial Beach to Point Lookout
Day 3: Point Lookout to Deale

We have friends in Colonial Beach we might be able to stay with when we stop there.

Thanks again for the info. I look forward to running into some of you once we get out on the Bay next year. :svoilier:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Boat’s on the hard, so season’s over. Now trying to get up the nerve to replace antifreeze on the freshwater side (nervous about air pockets), then oil change and winterization of raw water, potable water, and A/C, and set up winter cover.
Me too. Got the jib off yesterday and was supposed to do the rest on Friday but that got canceled when my wife got ill. So going down Monday and hopefully getting it all done. I got the jib off, gotta get the engine winterized and the water tank emptied.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Palmetto Moon is fully winterized. Staying in the water this year. Systems winterized, canvas off and boom tent up. Will visit every other week or so to keep the batteries topped and will likely let the charger run when we get to prolonged runs of below freezing weather.

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #518
Thanks for the link.

Most of us know the disappearance of the migrating islands , especially in the area under the Potomac River.

Smith Island a more important piece of land with a heritage and culture of its own disappears under water a little more each year. There has been a raging debate for years on the worthwhileness of supporting the island with dredge materials.

There are some islands which have increased in size further north with dredge materials from th main shipping channel to Baltimore which in Poplar Island off Tilghman Island and Hart Miller Island north of the Patapsco.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pendragon is winterized and set up for another down season. Making a list of things to do over the winter. Between the heat and a minor surgery, it was a very small sailing season this year. Next spring I hope to get going early, get out more. It’s still Thanksgiving weekend, so it seems an appropriate time to say thank you to all of you on this list. You are an amazing source of support, good humor, advice and wisdom. Hold fast!

·
12,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Jim,

Look forward to meeting up in 2020 on the Bay. In the spring let’s set up a weekend to do it.
I’m hoping my rehab continues on it upward arc.
Have a great winter😃😃😃😃

501 - 520 of 520 Posts