SailNet Community banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
And the people who pushed this law into being really want the boaters to leave the state.

Maybe the best thing to do is to band together and go to Georgia. Overwhelm them.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is the real cause of this?

I think that Cruisers are just the collateral damage from the war with derelict boats which have nothing to do with Cruisers but everything to do with homeless people and an understaffed State DNR who could not enforce the existing laws. There was simply not enough staff to take care of these crackheads who took over an abandoned boat and let it sit on anchor while they drank beer, smoked crack and let the boat go ashore up into the marsh where it became a pollutung eyesore and threat to navigation.
This combined with a shamefully out of touch lazy legislature who didn't discuss much of anything before passing the stupid law along with a DNR who didn't do its job by by taking the Cruisers into consideration. Why? Because the DNR also is super underfunded. In these trying times all of the agencies are understaffed because of a government that constantly wants to show everyone how they're doing such a good job of managing the budget by cutting jobs.

·
bell ringer
4,802 Posts
I thought this battle was over and in the end the cruisers won.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I think so too. Just my thoughts on what caused many of the locals to get irritated to begin with. I remember in S FL they had a particularly bad problem with abandoned boats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sad state of affairs continues in Brunswick

What's really vexing is the fact that their are hardly enough marinas with transient berths available

I tried getting one at the morning star marina there yesterday. They had shut down their transient births completely for construction reasons.
Weather was coming in and possible gale force winds. The downtown Marina is way out of the way and I had already passed Jykle Marina. Anchored out on the other side of the bridge and have had to reset the anchor twice already in strong wind and current.
Plus too close to a cable area.

Now with these new restrictions it's really difficult.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
What is the state of affairs in Brunswick you mention? The anchoring restrictions? The marina closures due to virus? Did you try Brunswick Landing for a transient slip, or is that one the downtown marina you mentioned?

If you are heading North, be aware that many of the marinas in the Savana area are closed now. The Waterway Guide website keeps a list of marina status along the ICW.

Mark

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
HB833 has passed! Was livestreaming the bill as presented on the Senate floor this afternoon. Now onto the Governor for signature. Thanks to everyone in the cruising community for the support.

Here is our announcement on our FB Group: Save Georgia's Anchorages
The Georgia Senate has just passed HB 833, and the Bill now awaits the governor's signature.
As all of you know, HB833 essentially reverses the onerous anti boating provisions that were passed into law this past January. That bill caused widespread anger amongst cruising boaters and resulted in the formation of this grassroots group to fight it.
HB 833 removes the ability to require permits for all overnight anchoring, removes the requirement to keep records of pump outs, and perhaps most importantly, removes the requirement that boats not anchor within 1,000 feet of waterfront structures and within 300 feet of marinas.
HB833 changes those set-back distances to 150-feet from waterfront structures, 300-feet from marinas, and 500-feet from commercial shellfish beds for short-term anchoring, which is defined as anchoring in the same place for up to 14 cumulative nights per calendar year. Long term anchoring (over 14 days in the same place) will require a permit.
This was a major undertaking and it could NOT have happened without the support you gave the Save Georgia's Anchorages team who put in countless hours looking out for your interests.
What is especially important to remember is that SGA worked alongside and as an equal partner with other, more established groups - the AGLCA, NMMA, Waterway Guide and also Scott Draper, our lobbyist.
And let's not forget the contributions of Cruisers Net, the MTOA and SSCA in this effort. It was a helluva team and they got it done.
In particular however, the efforts of SGA members and co-founders James H. Newsome, Jack White, Ted Arisaka and Bob Keller were instrumental in getting 'er done. Someday, perhaps when I've had one beer too many, I'll tell some of the backroom stories about how hard these guys worked and the late hours they put in to protect our rights to anchor in GA.
But - and I mean this sincerely - when all is said and done, all of our work at the pointy end is worthless without the support of you, the boating public. We did the talking, but the State of Georgia was hearing you, listening to you speak through our words.
Thank you from all of us at SGA for your support.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts